Comptoir Sud Pacifique Amour de Cacao

Comptoir Sud Pacifique Amour de Cacao

3.5

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Last fall I was wearing this at work and had occasion to walk through the office with my boss, a hearty good natured man who likes to eat. He suddenly stopped and looked around sort of drooling and said, "I smell cake." "Sorry," I said, " I think it's me." "No, no," he insisted, "I smell cake, it must be someone's birthday." Needless to say, there was no celebration. Despite that, I still wear it...it puts him in a good mood! And I just bought a second...canister (don't much like those containers). If you want one of those scents that drive men wild...and you don't want to wear bacon, you can just spritz a little cake or may I say, "gateau"! It's yummy.

on 9/9/2006 11:17:00 AM

When I lived in Ramat-Gan, a part of Greater Tel Aviv, where the Elit Chocolate Factory resides, I could smell the chocolate everyday on the way to work. The building is grey and melancholy looking, just like any busy factory. But this bothered no one. The fragrance of chocolate that wafted in the air within about a mile radius around the factory was the best start imaginable for a morning, particularly on a winter day. And what more – smelling chocolate has none of the (down)side-effects of eating it, even early in the morning. It was pure indulgence.

Amour de Cacao is just this: the scent of a laborious chocolate factory, sweet and rich and creamy and oh so tasty. Today, the first day of weather that does not resemble melted chocolate, I got into the browny mood of warmth and chocolate. I sprayed myself generously without feeling in the least overpowered. I am walking all day in an invisible cloud of rich chocolate, slightly caramely, with nutty undertones of walnuts and roasted coffee beans. Light as cocoa powder, without the sneeze. Pure pleasure.

This review is for the original Amour de Cacao, before it was re-formulated (in the old Comptoir Sud Pacifique packaging). It was the first Comptoir Sud Pacifique I bought and definitley my favourite from this line. It is simple and special.

on 12/11/2011 11:53:00 AM

This perfume is delicious! The opening smells like the chocolate outside of an Oreo cookie. Within a few minutes, it begins to dry down a bit and at that point, it smells more like the whole Oreo, with the creamy white middle. Truly, it smells as though I have taken the outside of a few Oreo cookies, crumbled them up and rubbed it on my skin. Amour De Cacao is really so simple and honest. Three parts dry, dark chocolate. Two parts milky vanilla. There is the tiniest whisper of something a wee-bit peppery. Is this the Carambola, (Star Fruit)?

This perfume is exactly what it claims to be- Love of Chocolate. It isn't challenging or complicated, but it is fun, wearable and interesting! And for something so seemingly sweet and foody, Amour De Cacao is not at all cloying, syrupy, heavy or juvenile. I enjoy many of CSP's perfumes and also find that they are versatile. They wear well alone or layered. For a richer, even sweeter treat, I have layered Amour with Vanille Coco or Vanille Extreme. To add some warmth and sweetness to Aloha Tiare, I have layered with this or Vanille Coco. The latter works especially well with Aloha, in keeping with the "beachy/floral/tropical" vibe.

Amour De Cacao is pleasant, complimentary and good for my mood. No doubt, it has satisfied more than a few urgent cravings for chocolate.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

This is such a different fragrance, smells exactly like Cocoa Puffs doused in milk. I wouldn't say it's a true chocolate smell, I can pick up a little vanilla which gives the scent an airiness. Luckily this is not a "strong" or cloying scent, very light. Not sure I'd buy again, because the foodiness is a little overboard, but I will keep in my fragrance collection. Update: Today at my job, this male co-worker sort of blurted out "Holy Crap you smell so good" and he even apologized later for the comment. This scent is something you can barely detect after a few hours, but trust me others will!

If you are into belgian seashell pralinés as i am and if you prefer dark chocolate to white and if you dream of the carribean or south pacific at work when you're bored...so give it a try!

Amour de Cacao smells at first like dark chocolate (60% cocoa) bar with a hint of orange zest. Later on it develops the pure, sensual and irresistible vanilla and gains sweetness, there's soon some coconut also, maybe a hint of roasted almonds and it changes into a sweet warm comforting and very yummy smelling milky chocolate bar. The sensual vanilla notes deepen when the all-covering cocoa powder is blown away by the soft and balmily breeze coming through the palm leaves from the turquoise seashore..
Chocolate was the food of the god for the Aztecs and that's what it semlls like. Heavenly!
It's the best chocolate-fragrance smell i have ever known up to now and also my favourite CSP. Its lasting power is better that the other CSPs i've tried (Alohe Tiaré and Vanille Passion) and it's so special somehow, a pure mood enhancer and a cuddlesome, playful warm scent that envelops you and embraces your soul with sweet childhood memories. I can imagine easily my granny baking chocolate cake... covering it with that dark brown dripping heavenly-liquid.
But the danger of vanilla and chocolate both being aphrodisiacs is not to be underestimated...! Men love it!
Unfortunately it has no staying power at all on my skin!!

This is THE chocolate fragrance I have been looking for. Lovely blend of vanilla and cacao beans... the sweetness of vanilla tones down the slight bitterness of cacao. I smell so Yummy! This is so unique! I like this better than CSP Vanille Cafe which is milkier.

I have tried most of chocolate fragrances... Serenditious3 is not bad too (a bit too sweet and not much chocolate detected). Star Boutique's Chocolate Martini did not agree with my skin and turn resin in the drydown just as Dragonfly Blue's Mocha Perfume oil did on me. continued >>

on 6/27/2013 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Lovely fragrance, and I agree with other reviewers in that smells almost like Serendipitous (another fragrance I love). A chocolatey/vanilla fragrance with a hint of citrus. It smells like cookies/chocolate cake/baked goods on me, so if you like foody/gourmand fragrances, you'll probably like this one (as long as it works with your chemistry). It's not overpowering, which is good (some perfumes give me a headache). At first, you can smell the citrus, but then after the dry down the citrus fades into the background (can still smell it though) and you're left with the chocolate-vanilla scent. It has this slight smell of burnt sugar/caramel also which i absolutely love (this aspect reminds me of Pink Sugar). The only downside to this (and it's a pretty insignificant downside) is that i'm not a fan of the bottle, as mine tends to leak a little every time i spritz it (that may just be my bottle), and it's hard to see how much perfume you have left (unless you hold it up to a light, then you can see). One of the best aspects is that it has great staying power (on me at least), once i wore it all day and even showered and could still smell it, or i can put it on during one day, go to bed and wake up and still smell it!

on 7/23/2004 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Amour de Cacao is heaven in a bottle. With strong, true notes of chocolate, orange, and vanilla that blend together to create the most sinfully delicious chocolatey fragrance available, it's one of those scents that is both fun and grown up at the same time. There are a few scents from CSP that are lovely but very youthful in nature, among them the popular Vanille Abricot. That's one I love but couldn't wear to a function. Amour de Cacao, however, is universal enough that I feel comfortable wearing it to anything. I love it in the cooler months, when suddenly it becomes much more than just a simple, sweet chocolate fragrance - it's a comfort that just envelopes my senses completely. A definite favorite - if they discontinue this, it would be a crime.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love vanilla-chocolate scent, actially I love anything "edible" on my skin. I bought this from an approved retailer and still think I've been cheated. It has asolutely no lasting power, 30 seconds at most, and while the scent was on its way from bottle to skin, I could smell something similar to a stale cocoa diet cracker. After this..nothing. I had to quickly spray myself with Montale Chocolate greedy to realign self:)

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Cuckoo for Coco Puffs! LOL for once I completely concur with the other reviewers.

Pros: ..
- A foody gourmand heavier on the chocolate than some fragrances. Very comforting also because it does smell liek cocoa puffs and chocolately breakfast pastries.
- Pretty long lasting on my skin though not as wella s some of the other CSP's. Much better lasting than my true chocolate favorite, Serendiptious.
- Stays true to its own scent.

Cons:
- PRICE! like all the CSP's VERY expensive unless you buy it online. Iwas fortunate enough to trade for it.
- Very linear. Most of the CSP's are pretty basic and true to the scent they are emulating, but this one more than most. Never changes and though I like it, kinda boring to smell like milk soaked chocolate puffs all day. I'd prefer more depth to it.
-Packaging annoys me as usual-impossible to tell how much is left in the can. But its sturdy.

Overall I like it but dont LOVE it.

Popular Fragrances