Adult Acnomel tinted cream

No Image

3.3

Active Ingredients:Resorcinol 2%; Sulfur 8%. Inactive Ingredients:Alcohol 15% (W/W), Bentonite, Carbopol, Fragrance, Iron Oxides, Octoxynol-9, Potassium Hydroxide, Propylene Glycol, Titanium Dioxide, Water

on 12/3/2007 1:07:00 PM

This is my first review, but I had to tell people my experiences with this product. It has changed my life! I've been battling acne since I was about 20 years old, so for about 9 years. I've been on accutane, which caused horrific depression. It did not work, and I still suffered. About a year ago, I started getting cystic acne along my jaw line. I was at my wit's end. I used acne.org's method which caused my skin to become red and very tight. I used saliclyic acid, benzoyl peroxide, the aspirin mask, willow bark, retin a, renova, anything I could. I went for facials, microdermabrasion, light treatment, chemical peels. Nothing was working! Now I use acnomel and its working! I've been using it for about 3 months now. I use PTR sulfur mask biweekly, if i remember. I use LUSH coal face soap, tea tree toner, then follow with a thin layer of acnomel. My skin is clear, there are no new cysts or pimples. I am just waiting as the old scars and marks fade. Its a little difficult to apply make up after, so I usually use a damp make up sponge and it seems to blend in smoother. Really a HG product for me!
UPDATE: I still love this. It has totally changed my skin. I have been mixing with Kinerase clear skin moisturizer, to help become less drying. This helps with the caky mask like look. LOVE IT!

on 7/28/2006 6:51:00 PM

I was so happy to find this product, as there are no reliable sulfur based treatment creams available to me in Canada (picked this up in New York). Clearasil does make something similar, but it contains Isopropyl Myristate, which breaks me out big time. Isopropyl Myristate rates a 5 for comedogenicity and 3 for irritancy on the Sage chart for those who follow that...interesting ingredient choice for an 'acne fighter'!

Acnomel contains 8% sulfur and 2% resorcinol. Both ingredients have antiseptic/antibacterial properties and both help to unclog pores, making this an excellent choice for those allergic or sensitive to benzoyl peroxide (like myself). However, I don't think this cream will work for everyone. It is quite drying to the skin and can cause flaking and peeling. It is a very effective spot treatment, but I would not advise anyone to use this as an all over daily treatment without testing it first to see how they tolerate it. A little certainly goes a long way!

The cream itself is very light in consistency and dries to a matte finish. It's slightly grainy and remains visible after it dries, so even though the tint is a fairly decent color, I would not be able to just slap this on and leave the house. I save this for use overnight.

You receive a decent sized tube (1.3 oz) for about $11 US, and should be able to find this in any Stateside drugstore. My fellow Canadians might also be able to do that, but not anywhere in the Toronto region that I've found. ***UPDATE*** Remember what I said about this being drying?? Well, having read the ingredients on my tube again, I realized that this cream contains 15% alcohol. Which is about as drying as it gets. Those with sensitive skin have been warned. I'll finish up this tube for spot treating only, but my hunt for a BP substitute continues.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I decided to finally review this product after using it for a good 2-3 months now. Let me tell you, I absolutely LOVE THIS. Let me tell you about my skin- Had acne since the age of 11 (!). My acne literally went something along the lines of moderate, to mild, to moderate, to EXTREMELY severe, to mild, to moderate, and now clear. =]

I have tried any and every drugstore product, proactiv, the acne.org regimen, both oral and topical prescription antibiotics, retinoids, retinols, salicylic acid, and even accutane twice. Acnomel is honestly the only thing that has cleared me up and KEPT me clear. My skin must really love sulfur, wish I would have known that before! lol.

The smell doesn't really bother me at all to be honest, but I can see why it may bother some. I had my boyfriend do a smell test once it was on my face and he said he couldn't smell anything (I didn't want to make him suffer by sleeping next to a perfuming egg (sulfur) smelling girl each night. ;D)

As for the tint, it's unnatural but blends pretty well. I wouldn't wear it alone if I was going out for the day but I do admit I enjoy the tint at night because it covers up my post-acne marks pretty well which makes me feel less self conscious in front of my boyfriend and roommates.

My only warning to you's is that it is indeed drying. What I do is I apply an alpha hydroxy lotion to my skin (acne.org AHA+) and then apply a thin layer of acnomel all over my face once the AHA dries. This has helped a lot with the dryness issue.

Mind you, I still tend to get PMS breakouts each month.. nothing I've used has been able to fully prevent that.. however, the PMS breakouts are a lot less in number and the pimples are a lot smaller/go away VERY quickly ever since I have started using acnomel.

Hope this helped!

P.S. If you like sulfur products, I'd also recommend grandpa's thylox acne soap. I use that each night and I feel that it definitely has contributed to my skin clearing as well.

on 10/11/2010 11:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have hormonal acne and I get 1-2 acne nodules each month. If left alone, they never come to a head, linger for another 2-3 months and leave red marks. This sulphur-based spot treatment works very well at flattening these zits out completely in just a few days.
Other spot treatments like salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide do nothing (I do use salicylic acid as an all-over treatment for redness). Do try a sulphur product if SA and BP don't work for you, because this might.
The cream does smell mildly like sulphur (rotten eggs). It does not bother me as it sits on my face but because of this, I only apply when I'm at home. I wouldn't apply makeup over it either, as the product tends to rub off and ball up unless you apply a very thin layer and wait for it to absorb.

on 8/29/2009 11:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this because I wanted a sulfur spot treatment for overnight. I found this in CVS or Walgreens (can't remember which) and it was for under $10. I was spot treating with Queen Helene's Mint Julep but I wanted something that I could blend better into my skin than a bright green paste. LOL Unfortunately for me, this cream is tinted a shade lighter than me. Since I'm only using it at night it doesn't really matter. All of that aside, it works great. My skin really responds well to sulfur. So, I use my Dr. Joesoef's 10% sulfur soap in the morning. At night, I wipe my face with warm water and a washcloth/microfiber cloth and then put on the Acnomel. Sometimes I'll just put it on certain spots but lately I've been mixing it with a small amount of my shea butter mix. I'll spritz my face with my La Roche-Posay thermal spring water and then apply the Acnomel/shea mix. So far so good.

I felt two cystic acne spots forming (my period is coming) and I spread this stuff on my face at night and the cystic acne spots are gone. No hyperpigmentation marks either (which happens sometimes). Yeah.

I just wish I had all of these things available 20 years ago when my acne was worse and I had no clue as to what to do. Nothing I've tried in the past worked. So, if you have acne and nothing's working, give sulfur a try. You can start with this since it's fairly inexpensive and see how it works for you. :)

on 1/23/2010 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I had a similar experience as others have mentioned--I regularly use other sulfur-based skincare and never have a reaction. Acnomel gave me large, itchy, dry patches, almost like hives--anywhere I applied it. The first time I didn't realize it was the Acnomel, I thought it was in conjunction with another product I had used. I tested it once on a blemish on my chest to "test" it and had no reaction. So when I used it to spot treat the second time and got the same big, swollen cystic acne (4 spots this time, great!) and the itchy welts I know this is the culprit. Perhaps I have a reaction to the other active ingredient. It seems to be a case by case basis, so I highly recommend a single patch test on your face to see if you get a negative reaction or if it works for you.

on 8/2/2009 12:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I can say that I've tried everything for my acne flare ups. I've been breaking out since I was 24 and it only seems to get worse as I age (32 now). SA and BP do nothing for me and I mean nothing. I tried taking vitamins, trying different products, nothing helped. So, I did some reading on sulfur and acne and decided to change my regimen completely since it wasn't working anyway. First was my scrub - bought Queen Helene mint julep scrub - FANTASTIC! Second was my mask - bought Queen Helene mint julep mask which contains sulfur and it too is FANTASTIC plus at Walgreen's they cost $3.99 each and I can pop in and find BOGO sales and get one free. Ok, now my acne "treatment" I found this stuff at Walgreen's and paid $9.99 for it and it too contains sulfur. Why I love this stuff. 1) it works, period. I apply at night before bed, wash my face in the morning and mix some of this with my moisturizer and I love it. Let me tell you too that this stuff will cover redness like nothing you've seen before. I have a bit of redness around my nose that foundation, concealer or powder together wouldn't touch but a tiny bit of this and the redness is gone, awesome! It's worth just that. I can not believe how wonderful my complexion is, finally. I will never use anything else so if SA and BP not working for you? Give this stuff and sulfur a try. I am so happy with this product.

on 8/9/2012 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I have been using this product for almost two years on my face and it has been my saving grace. All through my teen years I suffered from acne on my face and tried everything from prescription pills to over the counter products. A while back my mum found this product on the shelf in Wal-Mart for just $4.00 CAD so she decided to give it a try. I can honestly say that this product will take away my average pimple over night. It successfully reduces swelling and redness, and I am very pleased with it. The only downside to this product is it absolutely reeks of sulfur, the smell is terrible. I've gotten used to it, but it is definitely noticeable to other people. For this reason, I only use the product at night and then make sure I cover up what's left of the smell in the morning. The packaging really isn't the greatest, if you leave the tube sitting out for a minute or two without the lid on a bunch of the product will seep out. Also, make sure the cap is on TIGHT!! I had an experience where the cap wasn't on tight enough and it leaked all into my over night bag at a friends house, talk about embarrassing (plus it got all over everything that was in the bag and it smelled so bad!!) Other than the smell and lousy tube, I would say this product is a cheap must-have for people that suffer with acne and would recommend it to anyone!

I read all the reviews and was hoping for great results. I've used it on and off over the last 9 months, and EACH time I use it, it chemically burns my skin even when I use tiny amounts of it - the area of skin where the product was applied becomes raised the next day and rough in texture and significant peeling of the skin occurs over the course of almost a week until I am back to having my normal smooth skin again. Covering it up with foundation only makes it look worse as the skin is very rough and raw. I have NEVER had this happen with any acne treatment product, and I've used so many - benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, Differin, Acanya, clindamycin phosphate, clindaymycin gel, all in various combinations - so the fact that Acnomel just on its own caused chemical burns on my skin is particularly horrifying. I don't have particularly sensitive skin when it comes to applying acne treatment products - my skin tolerates high levels of active ingredients very well.

on 4/14/2007 8:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have very oily, acne prone skin. I have tried many BP and AHA/BHA products, but most don't do anything to help the acne, but instead leave me flaky, dry, and sensitive (underneath all of the oil and pimples, what a lovely combo!) This product actually helped, but does not keep me clear for long. Not the HG for me - I love Earth Therapeutics Clari-T Serum, a 5% BP product that isn't drying! But I will continue to keep Acnomel in my arsinal because I find that my skin seems to "get used" to products. When Clari-T isn't cutting it anymore, I'll switch off with Acnomel for a few days.

Acnomel is thick, and the tint may not be for everyone, but I find if I add a drop or two of water, it blends in nicely with my skin and is relatively matte. I imagine you could add a drop of jojoba oil if you were worried about it being too drying, but I have not found it to be so, and I have used it up to 3x a day.