Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eye Liner - Black

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eye Liner - Black

2.9

It's a stay put eyeliner that's for sure, but it's EXTREMELY hard to remove or fix liner without ruining the eyeshadow and it dries very very fast so it just starts flaking off if you try to work with it .. you have to be very confident with liner to be able to do this very fast and make sure the pot is always closed, so you have to scoop out product but not work with the product open.

I prefer mac fluidline MUCH more .. bit of a bust I must say

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Awful. Unfortunately one of the worst eyeliners I've ever had. It smudges really badly, sometimes dries out and little specks go all over your face and leave little lines. Also does not age well, very short lived "fresh" wise. Suddenly I found myself needing to STIR the pot to make it moist again and I'm very good about my makeup. Waste of $22. I'm sad to leave such a poor review.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Disappointed in this product. I was expecting something that would really work on the waterline, or with "allergy eyes"...especially after watching QVC where they used this on the models and sang it's praises. Yet, somehow what I got was $22 worth of smudgy, smeary crap. This ALWAYS smudges under my eyes.
Now that isn't to say it's completely gone from my waterline. There will still be some spots of it stuck like glue in places, but most of it is under my eye. It's not a becoming look on me.
You might have better luck, but to me it's just a mediocre gel liner (in a very small container!) that I could spend half the amount of money on at the drug store. It's a nice dark creamy black, but that's about all it has going for it in my book. I won't buy it again, and I've already passed this on down to my teenage daughter.

Ugh, worst gel eyeliner ever. I bought it because the MUA at Ulta said it was good, and usually you can't go wrong with smashbox. However, this stuff is always moving around, it transfers on the top of my eyelid, HARDLY waterproof. So disappointed. I've used drugstore products that are way better than this liner, plus you get way more product for way less money (however, I've discovered almost all drugstore brands test on animals. Please do your research before buying drugstore again). The consistency of it is somewhat dry, I have to swipe it on my brush a few times before it gets on there. I applies quite easily, however this doesn't really matter because it's not going to look like a nice precise line by the end of the day. I'm going to try and set it with a black eyeshadow, hopefully that will make it stay because I stupidly lost my receipt and cannot return. But my opinion is there are MUCH better eyeliners than this one, it's a major let down.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'm going to have to disagree with most the the reviews on this product. This is my FAVORITE eyeliner for tight lining.

There is nothing more that I hate in this world than going into the bathroom after having been at school for an hour and my tight line has not only vanished, but migrated under my eyes, making me look like a zombie!!

I have eyes that are on the drier side and don't take we'll to tight lining, as I also wear contacts on a daily basis.

After buying this little beauty I won't leave the house without a bit of it on. This liner REALLY lasts on me with little to no smudging at the end of the day. I don't really use it for my eyelid itself as I find that makes my small eyes look that much smaller. But in my tightline it works great!!

UPDATE: This deserves more than 5 lippies. My waterline eats eyeliner no matter what I do. I decided to be brave today and see if this would stay put. I applied it in my tightline AND waterline with a flat liner brush (Sephora #25) at around 9 this morning and it is still on my eyes at almost 9 in the evening! It does not look as flawless, it has faded a bit at my outer corner but it has not lost any of it's intensity! Besides in the outer corners of my eyes, the liner has stayed put and has stayed black. HG STAMP OF APPROVAL.

UPDATE #2: Still loving this eyeliner. Recently got the Real Techniques fine liner brush and I cannot stop wearing cat eye liner! The brush makes it so easy and this liner just glides on! It is a super intense black without being even the tiniest bit glossy, it has that perfect matte finish! It has dried out a tiny bit but that is easily fixed by a quick warm-up under a blow dryer to soften the product again :)

I have always liked lining the inner rims of my eyes, but I've had two issues:

1. I wear contacts &
2. the liner always rubs off, causing icky residue on my eyeball (I KNOW) and forcing me to reapply if I dare.

I tried this liner, letting it set for a few seconds while not blinking. It totally stayed put! It was harder to remove than the usual liner, but I'm a-okay with that! I kind of think the residual smudged liner thing is kind of hot anyway.

This is my first gel/cream liner and i love it ... of coarse i don't have another brand to compare to it to. But as it is i really like it. It doesn't smudge on me and i use it on the waterline since it's waterproof and it stays a lot longer then my kohl pencil in smolder from mac. I wouldn't say it lasts all day but i'd say about 4 or 5 hours on my waterline! Which is the main reason i like it so much ... i have had this for about 4 months and i see no signs of drying out ... I will update this when or if it does. I will try a different brand once this is gone like MAC blacktrack or Bobbi Browns gel liner, just to try others. If they don;t work i'll for sure go back to this one.

on 8/6/2010 9:52:00 AM

I was wondering if it was just me and then I looked at the other reviews of this product. I had this for quite a while before I actually opened it and started using it. I find it very dry and difficult to use. Makes a quick makeup application not so quick. I would return it if I could but I don't think I saved the receipt. If you're looking for a good waterproof gel eyeliner, go with MAC Blacktrack, one of the Stila black smudge pots, or Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner in Black Ink.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is my HG of all eyeliners. I think my eyes are my best feature so I always try to play them up to the dramatic. I line my eyes out with a cat eye effect and the eyeliner never smudges. I am completely impressed! I've even had people ask me what kind of liner I use because they are impressed that it never smudges or runs.

PROS:
- LASTS ALL DAY!
- easy to apply
- smooth texture

CONS:
- price was $22
- pot is small in comparison to others
- no brush included

For those who had trouble with flaking, I found that if I keep my brush clean then I didn't have any problems with flaking. I noticed that if I let product buildup on my brush that it caused a lot of flaking. So far I haven't had any problem with it drying out. I have also used the Napoleon Perdis gel liner and had a horrible problem with it drying out and clumping! So far my Smashbox one has stayed creamy. I have also used Sonia Kashuk gel liner and it goes on nice and smooth, but it doesn't have the staying power that the Smashbox has. It's so hard to get excited about trying another brand of gel liners because the Smashbox is so good!

on 5/1/2010 10:16:00 PM

There are 100 reviews on this product and I'd like to weigh in and make mine #101! Here's the scoop: in theory this is a great little product. In reality I find it has limitations in terms of the product itself and one's skill at applying makeup.

As for the product itself, it dries quickly on the brush so one has to work fast - a little too fast in my opinion. I've also heard that it tends to dry so quickly that one must only leave the cap off when absolutely necessary; this makes me nervous just using it as the cost is over $20. In addition, the consistency is a little off; it needs to be a little more gel-like for a smoother application. Finally, Smashbox claims this "stays put all day" but I've found that it starts to wear off around the corners of my eyes (and then some) within hours.

As for application, I find this kind of hard to use. I tried it with Smashbox's #21 brush and the less said about that the better (see my other review). I also tried this with a flat brush and an angled brush - no luck there either. I settled on a pointedbrush by Sephora (#17) and it is adequate. The problem I have with the application is getting a consistent line across my lash line and waterline in terms of straightness, thickness and color saturation. Part of the problem lies in finding the right brush and part of it lies in consistency of the product - and part certainly lies in my limits as a makeup artist.

With all these problems, I do continue to use this eye liner. The fact is that I find it to be longer lasting than the powder liners I use for daytime. I also find it to have a truer black color; in my opinion many pencil liners seem to have an undertone of blue or green to them - not to mention that many pencil liners look greasy. Finally, for all I complaints about the difficulty of application, I still think it's easier to use a brush than a pencil. This sounds counter-intuitive but it is true for me. If you've ever been frustrated by a crayon or pencil eye liner, please try a makeup brush with a gel liner, pressed powder or loose powder.