Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eye Liner - Black

3.3

on 7/29/2014 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I used this product for tight lining my water line only and absolutely love the dark black color and its ability to last all day which is important since I work in a restaurant for nearly 12 hours a day and need my makeup to last. I do enjoy this product but will only buy in small travel sizes if available since it dries out so fast. Another negative aspect of this product is that it dries up extremely thick and hard on whichever brush you use with this gel liner.

***Smashbox is no longer cruelty free so I will not be repurchasing****

on 7/12/2014 9:22:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I bought this awhile back as my very first gel eyeliner. Its very thick and I actually didn't have smudging problems with it.

However, for me it dried out SOOO fast. In a month it went from the cap full to about a tiny speck full? Like, what? Now its unusable. Its just a waste and not even as good as the new ones I've tried.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Good product and I would have given this 5 lippies if it weren't for the price and the flaws of the OLD packaging.

I have the Smashbox Jet Set gel liners in both their old and new packaging. Because of the packaging change sale, I got the Black, Bronze, and Navy for only $9. I would suggest though, that you should shell out a couple more bucks for the new packaging because they are not as dry as the one in the old packaging. My Deep Ivy, which I got on full price, seems softer and creamier than the other ones I have in old packaging. Must be because the newer packaging is more airtight.

Texture wise, Smashbox is on the dry side. I had to warm the product with my Sigma E05 brush before I put it on. It's a little trickier to apply in comparison to my Maybelline one, but the Smashbox is good for the waterline. It does NOT budge at all. Yesterday I put it on at 11am, and when I got home it was still there at 1am. Maybelline is good and cheap, but I always get panda eyes after 3 hours when I do my waterline.

on 2/5/2014 8:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Paid $30 at Ulta for this eyeliner and it is the worst eyeliner I have ever used. It smudges very badly. I do not recommend buying this product

on 11/27/2013 2:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

this is one of the worst gels I've ever used! I do not have anything close to oily lids, but this eyeliner was all over the place within an hour. Smudging, transfer, fading, you name it, it did it. So sad because I usually like Smashbox

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Recently ran out of my Urban Decay Liquid Eyeliner and haven't had the chance to restock. Been using this gel liner w/an ELF eyeliner brush. This came in my Sephora's "Draw the Line" eyeliner kit from Christmas and I just recently gotten around to testing this gel liner out. I live in humid Florida so I normally stick with the waterproof liquid liners and I had serious doubts that a gel liner would hold up in the Florida heat but I was pleasantly surprised that this did hold up. It provides a nice smoldering smokey eye look. Pretty creamy. I haven't tested this out in the sweltering theme parks yet. But it does it's job when I run around town doing errands. Trust me, walking from your car to building will leave your makeup melting in seconds thus I always stick with waterproof liquid liners and tinted moisturizers.

The only con is that it does smudge a bit or maybe it was my mascara I'm not entirely sure. I had pretty low expectations for this but it manages to stay put for most of the day.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I am pleasantly surprised by this product. I received this in Sephora's "Draw the Line" eyeliner sampler package, included full-size. It's on the dryer side compared to other gel liners i've tried, but that's likely b/c of the waterproof formula. Overall, I find this to be quite long lasting and not as smudgy as other reviewers have mentioned. I also find myself being able to create some flattering eye looks w/ this liner- can't quite pinpoint what it is about it, but I really like how my eye makeup turns out when I use this product compared to other products. Perhaps it's because it dries down matte, not shiny, so it lends itself to a more casual, soft look. That being said, it retails at $22, more than twice the price of my favorite drugstore gel liner, L'oreal Infallible Gel Lacquer Liner. Do I think it's twice as good? Naw. But I would buy this again in the "Draw the Line" sampler package, which I bought for $28.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I got this eyeliner in a set from Sephora that includes many other black eyeliners. While it's not a disastrously unusable eyeliner, it's definitely not my favorite. I used to own Sephora's cream liner and that definitely was better than this one in terms of consistency. Maybe I just got an older or more dried out pot, but this hasn't been very easy or smooth to apply. And often when I'm applying it, tiny pieces flake off and go into my eye or under my eye, which is messy and annoying. Because of this, it takes me longer to put this on in the mornings. In terms of staying power, it's not horrible, and doesn't transfer on my upper eyelid, but it does transfer a bit to my under eye area, even if I just lined my upped eyelids, which means I have to check for smears under my eyes during the day. I haven't used anywhere near the whole pot, but I'm thinking of just not using it anymore and going back to pencil or liquid eyeliner.

I got mine in the Sephora Draw The Line kit, and personally I like it a lot. Many other eyeliners transfer on the inner corner of my eyelid (I have very hooded Asian eyelids/not monolids though), so I get dark inner corners all the time. This one didn't budge all day, even through a nap and going out in the rain.
The only con is that you really need to apply a second coat or it isn't dark enough.. It's also quite a bit drier than other cream eyeliners, but I'll put up with the extra coat for all day staying power :)

on 11/22/2012 5:33:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

Smashbox Waterproof Eye Liner in Black is a decent eyeliner.

Pros:
It doesn't smudge
The consistently is smooth
It's easy to apply
It's great for subtle looks
It is waterproof

Cons:
It's not quite as black as I hoped

I love my liners as black as they can be and this one just didn't cut it. However, on me it is great when I don't feel like doing anything to my eye except lining and applying mascara. I gave it four stars because although it is not super dark, the liner does what is says.