Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eye Liner - Black

3.2

on 7/29/2014 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I used this product for tight lining my water line only and absolutely love the dark black color and its ability to last all day which is important since I work in a restaurant for nearly 12 hours a day and need my makeup to last. I do enjoy this product but will only buy in small travel sizes if available since it dries out so fast. Another negative aspect of this product is that it dries up extremely thick and hard on whichever brush you use with this gel liner.

***Smashbox is no longer cruelty free so I will not be repurchasing****

on 7/12/2014 9:22:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I bought this awhile back as my very first gel eyeliner. Its very thick and I actually didn't have smudging problems with it.

However, for me it dried out SOOO fast. In a month it went from the cap full to about a tiny speck full? Like, what? Now its unusable. Its just a waste and not even as good as the new ones I've tried.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Awful. Unfortunately one of the worst eyeliners I've ever had. It smudges really badly, sometimes dries out and little specks go all over your face and leave little lines. Also does not age well, very short lived "fresh" wise. Suddenly I found myself needing to STIR the pot to make it moist again and I'm very good about my makeup. Waste of $22. I'm sad to leave such a poor review.

Ugh, worst gel eyeliner ever. I bought it because the MUA at Ulta said it was good, and usually you can't go wrong with smashbox. However, this stuff is always moving around, it transfers on the top of my eyelid, HARDLY waterproof. So disappointed. I've used drugstore products that are way better than this liner, plus you get way more product for way less money (however, I've discovered almost all drugstore brands test on animals. Please do your research before buying drugstore again). The consistency of it is somewhat dry, I have to swipe it on my brush a few times before it gets on there. I applies quite easily, however this doesn't really matter because it's not going to look like a nice precise line by the end of the day. I'm going to try and set it with a black eyeshadow, hopefully that will make it stay because I stupidly lost my receipt and cannot return. But my opinion is there are MUCH better eyeliners than this one, it's a major let down.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'm going to have to disagree with most the the reviews on this product. This is my FAVORITE eyeliner for tight lining.

There is nothing more that I hate in this world than going into the bathroom after having been at school for an hour and my tight line has not only vanished, but migrated under my eyes, making me look like a zombie!!

I have eyes that are on the drier side and don't take we'll to tight lining, as I also wear contacts on a daily basis.

After buying this little beauty I won't leave the house without a bit of it on. This liner REALLY lasts on me with little to no smudging at the end of the day. I don't really use it for my eyelid itself as I find that makes my small eyes look that much smaller. But in my tightline it works great!!

UPDATE: This deserves more than 5 lippies. My waterline eats eyeliner no matter what I do. I decided to be brave today and see if this would stay put. I applied it in my tightline AND waterline with a flat liner brush (Sephora #25) at around 9 this morning and it is still on my eyes at almost 9 in the evening! It does not look as flawless, it has faded a bit at my outer corner but it has not lost any of it's intensity! Besides in the outer corners of my eyes, the liner has stayed put and has stayed black. HG STAMP OF APPROVAL.

UPDATE #2: Still loving this eyeliner. Recently got the Real Techniques fine liner brush and I cannot stop wearing cat eye liner! The brush makes it so easy and this liner just glides on! It is a super intense black without being even the tiniest bit glossy, it has that perfect matte finish! It has dried out a tiny bit but that is easily fixed by a quick warm-up under a blow dryer to soften the product again :)

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Overall, I really like this eyeliner. It goes on more smoothly than any other eyeliner I've used, and it lasts all day. The only problem is that it began drying out pretty soon. It still works as it is now, but I worry that I won't be able to use the whole jar. It's a really expensive item for how little product it is, so I'm pretty disappointed in that flaw, and will be more so if I can't use it all. I probably won't buy it again when I run out; I will likely experiment with other brands of gel/cream eyeliner instead.

Edit: This is completely dried out and useless now, and I've used less than half. If you plan on using this frequently and quickly, maybe if you're a makeup artist, you might risk it. But this is really a waste of money if you don't go through it quickly.

on 1/16/2012 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I'm on the fence about this liner...And for a product that cost me $22 CAD, being on the fence won't warrant a re-purchase.

PROS
-Truly is water/sweat resistant and lasts all day....And even into the next day if not removed with a heavy-duty makeup remover.

CONS
-I haven't had this for long enough to comment about how it supposedly dries out in the jar, but if the other reviewers are any indication, this will not keep a creamy texture for very long.
-You get the TINIEST amount for your money. Stila's Smudgepots are $2 cheaper, but you get 0.14 ounces of product compared to the 0.1 from Smashbox. And trust me ladies, 0.04 of an ounce makes a huge difference when it comes to eyeliner.
-Pigmentation is not great. This is not a rich, carbon black. It's more of a weak, pale black leaning towards slate gray (if that makes sense). As someone who favors intense, bold lines, Smashbox Jet Set just isn't cutting it.
-Flakes.

Now this could really be a pro or a con depending on how you look at it, but the initial texture of this seems to be quite a bit harder than many gel liners. That's a problem because it does not pick up on a brush well or glide effortlessly onto the eyes like many gels, but it's a good thing because a slightly drier texture means better lasting power. But if you're looking for a liner that will just glide across your lids with ease, skip this.

Though there are way more cons than pros, I'm still giving this 3 stars because the lasting power is the absolute best that I have come across. This truly will last forever and even stand up to oily lids, sweat, deep set eyes, water etc.

I will not repurchase though. I'd rather sacrifice a few hours of lasting power for a product higher in quality overall. Who really needs eyeliner to last 24 hours anyway?

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I don't understand why this has such low ratings. I can understand that this liner is much less creamier than most, but it has its advantages. First, let me mention all the cream/gel liners that I have tried. MAC , Bobbi Brown, Maybelline, L'Oreal, Physicians Formula, E.L.F, Femme Couture, Tarte, MUFE, Stila, and BeneFit. Smashbox is the top on my list as far as lasting power. The deal breaker for me is that this liner did not transfer at all on my top lids. That's the problem I've always had with most liners. Smashbox's Jet Set Waterproof liner is super black, and I love it. It's my no brainer go to liner that I can always trust won't fail on me. If you have troubles with smudging, transfer, or running, this is the one for you.

on 10/29/2011 3:16:00 PM

i really enjoy this gel liner. i was previously using sephora brands and it would constantly smudge, run, and smear. this fixed all of those problems. it doesn t smudge and stays on until you take it off. i wish it had a bit more product and was a bit cheaper, but overall i'm very happy with it. i've had it for almost 2 months now and i use it nearly every day, although i only use it on my upper lashes and pencil on my waterline. even after plenty of use, there's more than half left. i definitly recommend.

on 8/28/2011 1:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This stuff is horrible! Flaky, expensive, and zero color payoff-no thanks!