Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eye Liner - Black

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eye Liner - Black

2.7

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Recently ran out of my Urban Decay Liquid Eyeliner and haven't had the chance to restock. Been using this gel liner w/an ELF eyeliner brush. This came in my Sephora's "Draw the Line" eyeliner kit from Christmas and I just recently gotten around to testing this gel liner out. I live in humid Florida so I normally stick with the waterproof liquid liners and I had serious doubts that a gel liner would hold up in the Florida heat but I was pleasantly surprised that this did hold up. It provides a nice smoldering smokey eye look. Pretty creamy. I haven't tested this out in the sweltering theme parks yet. But it does it's job when I run around town doing errands. Trust me, walking from your car to building will leave your makeup melting in seconds thus I always stick with waterproof liquid liners and tinted moisturizers.

The only con is that it does smudge a bit or maybe it was my mascara I'm not entirely sure. I had pretty low expectations for this but it manages to stay put for most of the day.

Ugh, worst gel eyeliner ever. I bought it because the MUA at Ulta said it was good, and usually you can't go wrong with smashbox. However, this stuff is always moving around, it transfers on the top of my eyelid, HARDLY waterproof. So disappointed. I've used drugstore products that are way better than this liner, plus you get way more product for way less money (however, I've discovered almost all drugstore brands test on animals. Please do your research before buying drugstore again). The consistency of it is somewhat dry, I have to swipe it on my brush a few times before it gets on there. I applies quite easily, however this doesn't really matter because it's not going to look like a nice precise line by the end of the day. I'm going to try and set it with a black eyeshadow, hopefully that will make it stay because I stupidly lost my receipt and cannot return. But my opinion is there are MUCH better eyeliners than this one, it's a major let down.

Ahh where shall I start? So, I watched a review on this product on the Amenakin channel where the eyeliner was given a heads up for it's non budging appeal and longevity. I was also impressed with this when I noticed how it didnt budge. However, having said that, I never really had a problem with the other eyeliners I tried, like the Rimmel exaggerate eyeliner or the Barry M eyeliner. I guess I just wanted to purchase the brand rather than the actual product. When I first attempted to try the Smashbox eyeliner, it look a while to apply with the brush as I had to keep dabbing the brush in the product frequently as it wasnt standing out in my eyes. It didnt feel like gel liner, it was rough and if air gets into the little pot then the liner will lose its texture and dry out. This happened to mine on the first day, even though I quickly tried to shut it tight. It was just impossible to keep the air away, and the liner was just useful for me at all. However I do prefer using it on the rims of my eyes as it lasts a long time, much better than eye pencils. Wouldnt buy it again though, and wouldnt recommend it. It's just too expensive and is not worth it for the amount they charge. You can get better gel liners in the drugstore section.

on 12/8/2011 11:05:00 PM

I really like this gel eyeliner. I apply it after nars primer and it stays on for about 10-12 hours! I've tried the mac gel eye liner but there is no comparison. The container will lasts almost a whole year.

on 12/6/2011 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

When I first tried this product, it went on smoothly and looked great. But after a couple of months, it became harder and harder to get any product onto my brush. They gel dried out before I could even get half way through the pot. I will not repurchase this and will definitely go back to pencil and liquid liners for sure.

on 10/29/2011 3:16:00 PM

i really enjoy this gel liner. i was previously using sephora brands and it would constantly smudge, run, and smear. this fixed all of those problems. it doesn t smudge and stays on until you take it off. i wish it had a bit more product and was a bit cheaper, but overall i'm very happy with it. i've had it for almost 2 months now and i use it nearly every day, although i only use it on my upper lashes and pencil on my waterline. even after plenty of use, there's more than half left. i definitly recommend.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Sorry but i have no clue why this product exist???Either that or every time i bought this stuff, they always gave me the bad jars (yes i bought this twice since i could not find any MAC or Bobbi Brown store around for fluidline or the gel eyeliner).
The moment i opened the cap, the product was always dry. It is not creamy at all. It was very hard to use and my eyelids did not like it. I really do not remember the staying power but i think does smudge...not a lot but still smudge a lil bit. The thing is i love apply makeup on my face and this makes me dread the application process so i won't be repurchase nor recommend it to anyone. With the same price, you can get much better quality products from other brands

on 10/16/2010 11:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is horrible, it dries out way to fast. When it is new it works really well and stays on forever, and is very dark (black), but like others have said after using it a couple of times it dries out and is useless. It is not due to improper storage or not tightening the cap, it is just a bad product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is my HG of all eyeliners. I think my eyes are my best feature so I always try to play them up to the dramatic. I line my eyes out with a cat eye effect and the eyeliner never smudges. I am completely impressed! I've even had people ask me what kind of liner I use because they are impressed that it never smudges or runs.

PROS:
- LASTS ALL DAY!
- easy to apply
- smooth texture

CONS:
- price was $22
- pot is small in comparison to others
- no brush included

For those who had trouble with flaking, I found that if I keep my brush clean then I didn't have any problems with flaking. I noticed that if I let product buildup on my brush that it caused a lot of flaking. So far I haven't had any problem with it drying out. I have also used the Napoleon Perdis gel liner and had a horrible problem with it drying out and clumping! So far my Smashbox one has stayed creamy. I have also used Sonia Kashuk gel liner and it goes on nice and smooth, but it doesn't have the staying power that the Smashbox has. It's so hard to get excited about trying another brand of gel liners because the Smashbox is so good!

on 5/6/2010 2:58:00 PM

This has been my HG liner for quite a while now. I use the small side of my Bare Escentuals Double-Ended Shaping brush to apply and love the nice deep black which stays where I put it until I cleanse it off. Cleanses off with ease as compared to other waterproof products.

My only gripe about the product is that it does seem to sell out at Sephora and Ulta (especially after a QVC showing) and that I never use even half of the product before it dries out. A little goes a very long way and I have yet to be able to use anywhere near all of the product before having to replace which is why I took off 1 lippie on overall rating.