Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eye Liner - Black

Filtered by skin type : Dry
Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eye Liner - Black

3.2

It's a stay put eyeliner that's for sure, but it's EXTREMELY hard to remove or fix liner without ruining the eyeshadow and it dries very very fast so it just starts flaking off if you try to work with it .. you have to be very confident with liner to be able to do this very fast and make sure the pot is always closed, so you have to scoop out product but not work with the product open.

I prefer mac fluidline MUCH more .. bit of a bust I must say

on 7/12/2014 9:22:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I bought this awhile back as my very first gel eyeliner. Its very thick and I actually didn't have smudging problems with it.

However, for me it dried out SOOO fast. In a month it went from the cap full to about a tiny speck full? Like, what? Now its unusable. Its just a waste and not even as good as the new ones I've tried.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Disappointed in this product. I was expecting something that would really work on the waterline, or with "allergy eyes"...especially after watching QVC where they used this on the models and sang it's praises. Yet, somehow what I got was $22 worth of smudgy, smeary crap. This ALWAYS smudges under my eyes.
Now that isn't to say it's completely gone from my waterline. There will still be some spots of it stuck like glue in places, but most of it is under my eye. It's not a becoming look on me.
You might have better luck, but to me it's just a mediocre gel liner (in a very small container!) that I could spend half the amount of money on at the drug store. It's a nice dark creamy black, but that's about all it has going for it in my book. I won't buy it again, and I've already passed this on down to my teenage daughter.

This has to be the worst waterproof eyeliner I've tried so far. Originally I bought it to use on my waterline & tightline. I gave up on that because it pulled at my skin while applying, went on in clumps, or barely at all & was gone in less than an hour. I kept it around to use as a regular eyeliner under false lashes. Last night I lined all the way around my eyes with it and it looked pretty good until I went to the restroom. It had drifted into the corners of my eyes and all the way down to the tops of my cheeks. I looked ridiculous. I have very dry skin, so I usually don't worry about having to set my makeup with powder, especially a waterproof eyeliner, but if I ever use this again I know I will have to pat a black powder liner over it or else it will be everywhere. This should definitely not be sold as a waterproof liner. Maybe in the stick form it is better, or maybe I got a bad batch, but I do not have anything good to say about this product.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I don't understand why this has such low ratings. I can understand that this liner is much less creamier than most, but it has its advantages. First, let me mention all the cream/gel liners that I have tried. MAC , Bobbi Brown, Maybelline, L'Oreal, Physicians Formula, E.L.F, Femme Couture, Tarte, MUFE, Stila, and BeneFit. Smashbox is the top on my list as far as lasting power. The deal breaker for me is that this liner did not transfer at all on my top lids. That's the problem I've always had with most liners. Smashbox's Jet Set Waterproof liner is super black, and I love it. It's my no brainer go to liner that I can always trust won't fail on me. If you have troubles with smudging, transfer, or running, this is the one for you.

on 7/16/2010 12:31:00 AM

Such a great eye liner. You can use it for so many techniques. I line my water line (inner rim) with this liner. I have read some reviews where other become frustrated because they only get half way around the lid and the product dries. What you need to do is redip your brush into the product and keep going. It is the only waterproof line that stays all day on my waterline. It also is a must for the perfect smoky eye. You can simply smudge it into the lash line and blend it upward into the crease. Blend shadow and voila! The perfect smoked out look. If you feel like the all black smoky look is too severe for you, try mixing in a deep burgundy or plum shadow to soften the look. I have blue/grey eyes and the definition from this product makes the color pop.

I love this eyeliner! It stays on and lasts forever. The liner even stays on the water line, definitely a must have for the smoky eye!

on 8/21/2009 1:08:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

This was disappointing. Wouldn't stay on my lower water line. At first I thought it was great, but when i looked 30 minutes later it was gone. Great for the top lash line though. I switched to L'oreal Hip instead.

on 1/18/2009 7:03:00 PM

I saw this with the special brush on QVC and had to have it! I should know better. I do have a soft spot for Smashbox products, although my success rate with them is only so-so. I love this look, for tightlining and wetlining, but it doesn't love me back. When I used it for tightlining, it flaked, got in my eyes and over my face. It smears when you wipe off the flakes. I'm also convinced that no matter how well or thoroughly I cleaned the brush (after EVERY use and with alcohol, eventually)I would get an eye irritation/infection. That's not pretty. I couldn't make it work as a regular eyeliner - just not enough control to suit me.

UPDATE: I finally just threw this in the trash. It left little clumps everywhere and the texture became more like wax than a gel. I'll probably try either MAC or BB next.

on 8/4/2008 12:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Seems like this product has reviews from people who really love it or really don't like it. I'm one of those that really love this product. I use it almost everyday and before I started using this, I was using Maybelline's waterproof liquid eyeliner. The nice thing about this Smashbox eyeliner is that you can smudge it a bit unlike a liquid eyeliner which goes on very boldly. I apply the eyeliner with Smashbox's #21 eyeliner brush which is recommended for this product. I find that it goes on very very smoothly and stays on forever. I've even slept with this stuff on and it still looked great in the morning (I don't recommend sleeping with make up on though-I just found myself in that predicament sometimes). I've cried with this stuff on too and it didn't run at all so it is very waterproof. For the ladies that had it dried out, I find that around 3 months into the product if you use it every day or so, it will start to dry out and you need to buy a new one at that point. The new pots apply very smoothly. I won't be giving up on this product anytime soon!

***UPDATE*** Okay, I read the bad reviews on here and saw that there were suggestions for MAC fluidline or L'Oreal HIP cream liner. My Smashbox cream liner was drying out and I needed another one so I decided to get the L'Oreal HIP cream liner since some ladies said that the colour is more intense than the MAC fluidline. Well, well, lets just say that I'm now addicted to the L'Oreal HIP cream liner. The brown one works perfect (you can read my review on it). I also bought the black one which is terrific but it's more intense than the black Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eye Liner; so I only use the black one at night. I highly recommend the L'Oreal product over this one because (1) it actually has more staying power when I tested it in running water (although the Smashbox one has always stayed on well for me) (2) when I curl my eyelashes after applying the Smashbox liner, some of the liner does transfer onto my eyelash curler but this is not the case with the L'Oreal HIP liner (3) the L'Oreal product is much creamier than the Smashbox one so I find it more smudgeable however it does set to dry in about one or two minutes (4) L'Oreal HIP liner was $15.99 CDN while the Smashbox one is $28 CDN.
So I won't be buying this Smashbox liner again. The only problem is trying to find the L'Oreal HIP liner in Toronto Canada. You can get it at the Shoppers Drug Mart at Yonge and College which is open 24 hours, but it took me like 4 or 5 different stores to discover this.