Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eye Liner - Black

3.3

on 4/21/2012 11:06:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I bought this stuff thinking that it would be a good one. It sucked! I got raccoon eyes only after like an hour or so. I had to keep looking in the mirror to make sure i didn't look scary! I wouldn't buy it again. It was really hard to apply and was kinda of cakey. You have to drag your brush a few times to get enough liner on your brush. I returned it the next day!

on 3/9/2011 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

the good: Buildable line. Doesn't smudge. Applies smooth and dries and stays put for hours. Great for the waterline.

the bad: $$$. The product starts to dry out after a couple of months. I usually compensate by wetting my brush or dropping a little water into the pot before swishing the brush around.

Overall, I'm very happy the first few months of use, so it's still a positive review. I just wish they sold it at half it's size and half it's price.

on 10/30/2010 7:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I'm onto my third pot of Midnight Black so far and I'm yet to get thru half the pot before it dries up like a piece of clay! Smashbox really need to change the packaging or else put less in the jar so there's less wastage.
Besides this common complaint, I have nothing but glowing things to say about this liner. I have watery, sensitive eyes that react to even eye products designed for sensitive eyes/contact lens wearers. I can wear Jet Set on a daily basis on the inner rim and my eyes never react. This is the only liner I have found that is actually waterproof too. I've tried Stila's Smudge Pot and it doesn't stay on the inner rim very long for me.
It can be a bit tricky to get a thin, even line when using this on clients as you have to be pretty firm with the brush to prevent dragging, skipping and blobbing. But if you load the brush up and sort of twirl it as you go along it helps.
I love using Smashbox's #28 brush because it's quicker and more forgiving than the thin #21 arced liner. I find I have more success creating even lines with the 'push and wiggle' technique too.
I love this liner and will be using it for as long as it's still being produced!

on 3/9/2010 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Well, the same review for jetset in black as for the brown one. I want to love it! I love the look, on the waterline, but it doesn't stay put and ends up deposited in the corners of my eye. Get the angled brush though, highly recommend the brush!

on 3/8/2010 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my first eyeliner in a "pot".

I've tried really hard to like this product, I've given it so many goes but I've given up.

It seems to "drag" and leave deposits of colour just like a pencil - which is why I gave pencils up.The eyeliner seems dry & flakey - as I try to line my eyes I get little flecks in my eyes that sting. Only once or twice have I lined a perfect line & I thought it was because I was an amateur.

So I thought it might have been the brush I was using. I bought 2 new eyeliner brushes & still the same result.

I won't be buying this again. So again, I am on the hunt for the perfect eyeliner to give me the perfect line I am after.

on 2/18/2010 3:46:00 PM

I found this hard to use. The formula smeared easily and I had to re-apply a few times to get a true black line. Any mistakes, the liner is waterproof, so it was hard to correct. I was using this with the Smashbox #21 brush, but it didn't work very well. Both products were returned.

on 2/3/2010 10:30:00 PM

OK, first the size. The packaging is really small and cute, unlike MAC's and B.Brown's. The amount of product is actually more that the other two (0.1 oz for MAC and BB, and 0.12 oz for Smashbox)! I guess it made people think that the Smashbox contain lesser due to its packaging.

Anyway, I bought the jet set due to the smashing reviews here about it staying put when applying to the waterline. While it does dry up pretty quick, it didnt work as well for me on the waterline. By noon, the line on my eyelid is still perfect, although not as black as upon application but my waterline is lined only at the middle and the inner and outer corner of my eyes are devoid of any remaining liner.

Dont ask me where it has gone to, but one thing's for sure, it doesnt smudge as bad as my MAC fluidline. It does dry pretty quick upon application, so i was happy about that.

I guess its just my eyes maybe? They tend to secrete more oil, being asian and all? hahahah..I donno...oh a tip that the SP taught me to avoid it drying in the case (this is if you find it time consuming to twist the cover on and off for each eye). Once you have taken a small amount of the product, turn it upside down on the table and when youre finally done with it, close it tightly. I donno how well this works but will update in 2 mths time.

*update 3/30: the thing is still ok with me. no drying up or cracks, and ive been wearing it religiously everyday.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This liner is pretty nice. I use it on my waterline and have noticed it "wash away" soon after application, but I have found that if you hold your eyelid down and away from your eyeball right after applying to the waterline and let the air dry it a bit before letting go, it stays put longer. I apply it with Sonia Kashuk's bent eyeliner brush. I've had it for 5 months now and still no dry out.

on 8/4/2009 10:37:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the first gel/cream liner I've ever bought. I'm very happy with this product as it glides on easy as butter with the use of a stiff angle brush. It sets quickly and is truly waterproof...no smudges, AND it lasts ALL DAY!! I would definitely buy it again.

on 7/6/2009 8:50:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I really tried to like this, but it's too big a hassle for me, I can't use it without a brush so I really can't just throw this in my makeupbag and use it whenever, I prefer my handy pencil liner or my liquid pen liner.
sorry but I must move on.