73%
package quality

price range

Reviews

6 years ago

I love At The Beach 1966, it makes me happy. The scent brings back fond memories of going to the beach as a little girl with my family. I definitely get old school Coppertone as well as salt water (I swear I can taste the salt when I first put this on) and sand mixed with the scent of warm skin. It is glorious. I have tried both the absolute and the water formulas, and in my opinion the absolute smells better. I get about 4 hrs from the absolute and some days it lingers longer. The only thing I am not too fond of is the cost, $100 for 15ml. I have tried Bobbie Brown Beach, and while they are similar, At The Beach 1966 is the clear winner.

About reviewer (7 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Curly, Fine

7 years ago

Growing up on the East Coast, my summertime memories of the 80s include many days spent at the beach. This perfume captures those days beautifully. Old school Coppertone in the brown bottle, ocean, surf, sand, and a touch of watermelon. I gave a bottle to my sister and she agrees, it smells like those carefree summer days at the beach. Normally I do not like perfume and have to wash it off because it starts to get to me, but this does not contain alcohol and warms up nicely on the skin, and I have not had a negative reaction to it. I have tried both the absolute and the water, and I prefer the absolute, which is a little 'thicker' and lasts longer without being cloy. Even though they cost a lot comparatively to the full size bottles, I highly recommend buying samples online first. CB I Hate Perfume's are expensive & though unique, not everyone is going to like them. I ordered 3 samples for my husband and he **hated** all 3 them (Mr. Mulot's Holiday, Cedarwood Tea & Greenbriar), but my sister & I both love 'At the Beach 1966"

About reviewer (255 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

7 years ago

At the Beach 1966 is an extraordinarily accurate -- and extraordinarily *evocative* -- olfactory replication of a hot day at the beach in the northeastern United States in the late 1960s. For those of the right age and background to have memories of such days, this fragrance's effect can seem almost uncanny. One whiff and I can see the schmear of white zinc oxide on my Uncle Joel's nose and feel the elastic around the leg holes of my Speedo chafing me where the sand and salt got caught beneath it. This is not perfume as fashion, but perfume as art. It is a narrative rendered entirely in smell. . The narrative opens with the unmistakable sweet, chemical smell of Coppertone -- not current Coppertone, but the Coppertone suntan lotion of the late '60s and early '70s, back before anyone called it "sunscreen," back when only the palest and stodgiest of middle-aged grown-ups used the bottles that came with SPF ratings. It is a very distinctive smell, and in the context of this fragrance, it operates almost as a chevron pronouncing the time and place in a film might. It is the olfactory equivalent of a title card reading "August, 1966." . Having thus established the time frame of the narrative, the suntan lotion accord seems to recede somewhat, allowing other smells to come forward to share the spotlight. There is a realistic sea water accord, cold and so briney you can practically taste it. A touch of ozone gives the impression of the breeze coming off the water. Then there is the mineral tang of hot beach sand, the organic chalk of crushed shell. There is a dry and sun-bleached woody note: a boardwalk, perhaps, or possibly a set of silvered cedar planks laid as a pathway across some sharp-grassed dunes. . And then, as dry-down approaches, there comes what to me is the most extraordinary note of all: a smell that I can only describe as that of hot skin. Not the smell of sweat, mind you, but the smell of skin that has been heated by the sun. It is a hot sunny skin smell. So compelling was this illusion of warmth, of literal *heat,* in fact, that I actually found myself doing a touch test, just to convince myself that the skin where I had applied the fragrance wasn't really any warmer to the touch than my bare skin elsewhere. Now that is extraordinary. . While the show At the Beach puts on is stunningly evocative, it does not last very long -- not, at any rate, in the water perfume (the absolute might well last longer). In a few hours, it is all over save for a white musk rather reminiscent of dryer sheets, which sticks around for some time after the narrative proper has ended. But that's just as well, really. It's hard to imagine wearing this fragrance the same way one might wear, say, something that you slap on in the morning to smell nice for the next eight hours at your workplace. And frankly, I'm not sure if I'd really *want* to smell like mid-century suntan lotion all day long. A shorter duration seems more appropriate for a fragrance that acts so effectively as a window to another time, another place. As a memory in a bottle.

About reviewer (19 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair, Cool

HairGrey, Wavy, Fine

8 years ago

I've been on a quest for quite some time to find a scent that was reminiscent of those warm, care free and sensual days of the beach. And yes, for me, that would include the scent of sun tan lotion. Very distinct one that just stimulates the mind whenever you smell it. If you're not a beach type, this probably sounds insane, if you are that type, then you KNOW what I'm taking about here. Never seemed to find the right combination, and can tell you, coconut, fruit and rum just doesn't cut it. That lotion scent, however it is achieved, is a key component. Even went so far as to spritz on the now discontinued, light spray pump version of Coppertone - which actually works pretty well:) Beach 1966 is AMAZING. It has reviewed well, so thought I would give it a try and bot the 100ml water version and crossed my fingers. Feared that it would smell WAY to much like a chemical, or that it was all a lie and would be just another sweet/fruity scent with a Beachy name. It indeed captures the idea. Just a nice hint of the lotion, combined with scents of sand and marine. Very unisex in that it has a pleasant softer quality as well. A winner here! $80 is not big deal for Beach 1966, for the 100ml will last for a very long time. And for those wanting their own sense of style and statement, it's pretty unique in that is appears to be available almost exclusively from CB and is a pretty well kept secret - one has to do some serious searching on the web just to find it!

About reviewer (2 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinNormal, Tan

HairBlond

EyesBlue

8 years ago

I was born in 1966. I absolutely LOVE the scent of today's Coppertone. This perfume does not smell like that, HOWEVER, every time I smell it, it immediately transports me back to a lovely summer day when I was a young child in the early 1970s and I was learning macrame at the school with a bunch of other people. (Someone must have been wearing the "older" Coppertone that day.) That particular era of my life was one of the happiest I can remember and this scent brings back those happy feelings. I'll never tire of this scent.

About reviewer (13 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair

HairRed

8 years ago

The first and thus far only fragrance that has ever moved me to tears. For years I have been searching for a scent that would evoke the notes of Coppertone suntan lotion, sand, surf and the general feel of a summer crowd. Once I learned of this fragrance (and how much it cost), I purchased a decant of the water perfume to try it out. I couldn't get it out of the packaging fast enough. I immediately applied it to my wrists, rubbed them together, and took a whiff...and I cried. I was suddenly transported to Rockaway Beach in the early 1960s, where my grandparents rented a house for the summer. My only reason for not giving this fragrance a "5" is that it sadly doesn't seem to last very long, and as it fades, it loses its very essence. However, while it does, I can't stop smelling my wrists. Which of course, makes me tear up again...

About reviewer (10 reviews)

SkinCombination

HairBrown

8 years ago

I own the perfume absolute and also have a sample of the water perfume. The notes are slightly different between the two--they don't smell exactly the same. I like the initial smell of the water perfume a little better-- it's a little less pungent-- however, the perfume absolute is much longer lasting. It's really interesting how they both encapsulate the smell of vintage Coppertone, my memory yardstick is the brown bottle my mother used to bring to the beach in 1972. (not sure if that's the same formulation as 1966? it's probably close to it, since they didn't seem to update products as frequently then.) Also it has a strong note of zinc oxide which is interesting, because you don't normally get that in a fragrance, haha. Like other reviewers mentioned, it is not tropical or pina-colada smelling at all, it is more chemical as they say. ALSO what's pretty genius is the note that remains after you've worn it for a while is the smell of clean sweat (salty/outdoors--not like b.o., but *exactly* the smell if you've been out exercising or outside all day--like at the beach). My husband doesn't like this smell too much, maybe it's my imagination, but other people seem to gravitate toward me when I'm wearing it. I really like At the Beach 1966 because: 1) it smells like a summer-sexy memory; 2) I feel like it's my little secret--not a lot of women are going to be wearing it; it took a bit of research just to find it, and i'm not a price snob, but at $80/bottle it excludes a wearer who is just going for a trendy thrill; 3) it's not a scent that announces itself that you're "wearing perfume"-- you just smell good, or interesting, in a more subtle way-- people still notice it, but they have to be closer to you to perceive it. 4) As a graphic designer, I like the logo/packaging too.

About reviewer (179 reviews)

Age

SkinCombination, Olive, Not Sure

HairBrown, Wavy, Coarse

9 years ago

A perfect summertime fragrance. It smells true to it's name. The first thing I think of is the original Coppertone sunscreen in the pink bottle. It is definitely a floral scent first and foremost, but I do detect a hint of wet sand and saltiness underneath the Coppertone. It makes me think of childhood days spent at St Simons Island, Georgia. We would play in the salty waves all day long until our skin began to burn, then run back to our towels to reapply sun lotion. At the end of the day when I collapsed into a happy exhaustion, this is the essence that still clung to my skin and hair.

About reviewer (9 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Olive

HairBrown

10 years ago

My first whiff of this took me to an exact place in time-1985 South Padre Island Tx on the beach, where I am 15 years old and I have slept on the beach in my 16 year old cousin's car. The sunroof was open, we'd slept too long, and the sun was beating down on us. Having spent the previous day slathering ourselves in no-SPF coppertone, this scent is THAT smell. I bought 4 of CB's 2ml "samples" and I like them all for the places they take me in time, but this is my favorite. If you don't get much out of scents that make you think of times in your life, you will care very little for CB I hate perfume. I was a fan of Demeter-still have several of them-and am now a HUGE fan of IHP. I hate smelling like everyone else, and I also don't want to knock everyone in the room out with my scent. These are subtle and made so that only someone who is very interested in talking to you will be able to smell you. That's exactly how I like it. I will be buying the bigger size of this immediately.

About reviewer (192 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium, Not Sure

HairBlond, Other, Medium

11 years ago

It does smell like Coppertone suntan lotion. It is not a coco-nutty Hawaiian Tropic suntan lotion scent. Coppertone is more chemical. Also, there is a lot of the outdoorsy sea salt and salt water, an odd add in of watermelon. It is not a clean fresh smell. It is how you smell after a day at the beach. I like it. It reminds me of vacation. It makes me feel kind of sexy, like I do on vacation. I can't wear it everyday or anything but it is a good switch when I want a mental vacation. EDIT: Just bought another bottle and this batch? It smells like powder, kind of like a men's aftershave powder. Very different batch than previous ones I've had. NOT liking this mix. Kind of expensive to not like it.

About reviewer (7 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure