Laura Mercier Evolution of Color

No Image

4.6

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I hate to be the voice of dissent here, but I personally don't think these eye shadows are all that great. I was very excited by all the positive reviews, so I purchased both the plum velvet and the taupe velvet (see pics below). Neither was particularly impressive, IMHO.

First of all, let's talk about the packaging. I happen to think the dark purple plastic cases resemble old L'Oreal packaging; I just expected a more elegant case for the price. Also, I am not a fan of the way the colors are placed; the side-by-side narrow stripes make it near impossible to pick up one color without smudging into another, which I found annoying (I should have learned my lesson with BB shimmer bricks).

As for the shadows themselves, I didn't find them especially unique, nor was the quality good enough to justify spending $36 each. I will gladly fork over extra money if I think the quality of a product is commensurate, but in this case, I have old drugstore quads that apply just as smoothly with equivalent staying power, pigmentation, and even prettier, more flattering shades for a fraction of the cost.

The Taupe Velvet collection was the one the most looked forward to receiving. To me, the shadows didn't read as taupe. They appeared too much as plain grey and silver on my skin--which is not what I was looking for. The Plum Velvet just looked too bruise-y on me; I personally prefer my plums a little cooler, like the beautiful smoked plums in this season's Prescriptives Cool Palette, which I find far lovelier, and a better value all around.

I will still give a couple of lippies, because the texture of the shadows were nice and soft, and these may work for others. I did like the subtle shimmer, more like a light sheen. They aren't highly pigmented, but for someone going for a more subtle look will find this easy to apply (though I didn't find them too buildable). continued >>

I have all three of these. The colors are absolutely perfect and inspired. The browns are so delicate and yet so rich...not muddy at all. The taupe is also quite delicate and has some warmth to it, so it does not look gray and lifeless the way I thought it would when I saw it in the pan. Both are great for beautiful, subtle, natural looks. The plum is the prettiest of them all, and is the most versatile. It can do both great day and night looks. Well worth the $38. Now that I have them, I hardly ever reach for the other colors in my train case.

on 8/25/2006 10:21:00 AM

I have brown eyes and bought this in both the Taupe Velvet and the Plum Velvet. Both are very flattering. It's great to have so many coordinating colors in one easy case - I've been playing with different combinations and have gotten many compliments. These are easy to apply, easy to blend, and perfect wearable colors that flatter the eyes.

My one wish would be that the colors were a little wider or farther apart... I have to be careful to only pick up one color at a time... although since they all coordinate, it's ok to get a little of another color on your brush.

on 8/6/2006 5:46:00 PM

I also purchased this in Plum Velvet. The colors are beautiful and as usual, the eyeshadows are finely milled and blend perfectly. I have very dark (almost black) eyes and the plums just make my eyes pop. The colors create a smokey look on me too. The lightest shade is almost a pinkish bone color (I don't this it has much shimmer, if any), the next 2 are light and darker shades of a smokey/plumish shimmery taupe and the darkest shade is a dark shimmery plum. I would definitely repurchase and I hope Laura continues to introduce new colors to the evolutions.

on 7/23/2006 12:11:00 AM

*looking below* Cool, now we have all three schemes reviewed - I got the Plum Velvet. Gorgeous, lasts all day...I even took a long nap and it was still on perfectly when I woke. To be honest, I did have my UD primer potion and one of the cream shadows underneath (these could be factors to it's longevity), but it's still beautiful and worthy of a 5!

I bought this Evolution Of Colour in Taupe-it is fabulous. Very soft colour which looks great on say we say older eye lids. Very Blendable and a fabulous colour for blue eyes-I also bought the pink suede lip colour to go with it -the colours go together beautifully. Well Done Laura.

on 7/18/2006 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Just bought this today - it's one of the Fall 2006 shadows. It's actually 4 shadows in one pan, laid out in stripes, like the BB shimmerbricks. I have this in brown velvet, and they are some of the most beautiful browns I have seen (and I am on a lifelong quest to own every brown shadow ever made!) They are slightly peachy cream shade, a nice medium warmish brown, a very taupy brown, and a darkish, slightly reddish brown. The pigmentation is quite nice, as I have found all LM shadows to be. It's a bit pricey at $36 for the four of them, but considering that you have an eye wardrobe in a 2.5 x 2.5 inch square, it's very handy and lovely! Plus, it looks like LM has updated her packaging from UPS brown to a Shimmery reddish brown color - BIG improvment!
I would buy this again in a heartbeat, if I were ever to use it up, which I know I won't... :)