Clean & Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleaner

Clean & Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleaner

3.7

Active: Benzoyl Peroxide (10%) Inactive: Glycerin, Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Water, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Zinc Lactate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Menthol, Fragrance, Potassium Polyphosphate, Titanium Dioxide, Carbomer

SAVED MY FACE! I went for a physical and mentioned to my dr that my face was breaking almost daily and she said it was probably hormonal. She suggested using this one daily. Not really a true review as I bought the Equate Brand but same ingredients and it helped over night. I'm on day seven now and have used it a few days even twice. I love the cooling scent and my face is all cleared up!!!! I have never had problems with breakouts like this and this has saved my face! It was getting embarrassing to go to work because I looked polka dotted on my face! Every day i was having a new flare up! And I hadn't changed ANYTHING! This has saved my face! It is a little drying so you need to moisturize, especially if you use is in the morning, but I'll take it because it has saved my sanity! I think if you used a benzoyl peroxide treatment cream on top of this, you would dry your face out too much. This ALONE is a miracle product. My first few days I used it, I washed at night with it and didnt put any moisturizer on top to give my skin a break from moisturizer and see if I could get these flare ups under control. My skin didnt feel super tight after washing it and no moisturizer but felt clean. It doesnt seem to strip your skin but deeply cleans. I don't even rinse it off at night by splashing my face, I use a warm wash cloth. It's a damn miracle in a tube. I even called my doctor back and thanked her for "SAVING MY FACE" and further embarrassment! Will use this FOREVER..I Kid you not.

I have been using this product for 2 years now. Before I relied on Neutrogena's Clear and Pore since I was 15. It worked perfect for me and I never had to worry about my very oily and acne prone skin. But unfortunately, after 7 years, the product finally stopped working. I remembered my cousins used Clean & Clear Continuous Control, so I gave it a shot.....and it's perfect! It was just what I was looking for and it gives me the punch of benzoyl peroxide to keep my skin at bay! I use it every day and night with moisturizer, I definitely rely on this product!

To Read all 277 Reviews, Login or Join

on 12/8/2015 10:27:00 PM

Love this face wash. Keeps my acne under control. I personally do not have horrible acne, but when it starts to flare up, I use this product to keep it under control. It does dry out my face especially in the winter so it is crucial that this is used with a moisturizer. Only downside is that this face wash is pretty expensive compared to most face washes.

on 10/24/2015 12:42:00 PM

This stuff is amazing. I broke out from a new bronzer and nothing I put on my face made the little red bumps go away. After 2 weeks, I got fed up and bought this cleanser. 3 days later, the bumps are GONE. The formula is drying, so I only use this in the morning.

on 9/15/2015 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Update 6/8/2016: Still using and loving this. My only wish is that they made a version of it without the BP and menthol. If I could rotate between one version with the active ingredient and one without, that would be ideal (and if they just lost the menthol all together, that would be great). I absolutely will never be without this cleanser again. I do wish I could get by only using something very gentle like Albolene, but it seems my skin needs to be washed with this at least every other wash to keep the closed comedones away. When I don't use it, my skin looks dull and bumpy.

Original:
In my never ending quest for the best skin I can get, I quit using this cleanser about 1.5 years ago because I was convinced the ingredients were too harsh and were not helping an acne flare up caused by coming off of birth control. Prior to that, I had been using it for the better part of a decade.

Chaos ensued, yet I never attributed any of the breakouts to not using this cleanser. Reviews such as those on Paula's Choice had me convinced that the ingredients in this were the devil.

For the next 1.5 years, I tried every cleanser ever made and every style of cleansing ever written about on the internet. To name a few: oil cleansing (tried pumpkin seed, castor, almond, olive, and hemp oils), cerave foaming, cetaphil gentle, Neutrogena ultra hydrating, Neutrogena salicylic wash, Pond's cold cream, garden of wisdom’s green tea wash, the acne.org wash, raw honey, noble zinc bar soap...this list could go on. My skin hated most of these cleansers. Either it was too stripped, or it wasn't clean enough.

On a whim, I picked this up again during yet another bad breakout. Lo and behold, suddenly my skin started feeling clean and happy. Within a week, my skin was noticeably clearer. I am on week two now and my skin continues to improve.

I wrote to J&J to ask the ph level. They said it ranges 3.5 - 4.7, which for me is perfect. After much experimentation with products and all the drama that I have gone through in dealing with adult acne, I have come to learn that the ph level of a product and how it affects your skin is REALLY important. So is being gentle...you need to exfoliate, but you can’t overdo it. One of the best things I did for my skin was to stop using a wash cloth and rely instead on chemical exfoliation (after much trial and error, I’ve settled on Biologique Recherge’s P50 lotion...the one WITH the phenol because it actually irritates my skin less than the one without, I suspect bc the ph of the phenol version is slightly less acidic).

For reference, I have oily skin and have been breaking out since age 12. I am 34 now. My skin was constantly breaking out with zits from ages 12 - 17 and I ended up on Accutane at age 17. I stayed mostly clear of what I’d call “real acne” from ages 18 - 33 (I went on birth control after Accutane, and during these years only dealt with mild clogged pores and blackheads, with the occasional “actual” zit or two). Then my skin promptly went insane when I quit birth control so I could get pregnant.

Do the “bad” ingredients in this cause harm over the long term? Is the menthol, fragrance or benzoyl peroxide in it contributing to aging? Maybe. But the menthol and fragrance are pretty far down on the list of ingredients, and my skin seems to LOVE benzoyl peroxide in short doses (I find wearing BP overnight even at 2.5% makes my skin looks like crap, but washing with 10% makes it look nice). The first 3 ingredients in this cleanser are actually soothing for skin (for my skin, at least) - Glycerin, Petrolatum, Mineral Oil.

The bottom line is that, for me, this cleanser works. I am never giving it up again.

on 8/11/2015 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

great product! i've done accutane, murad, proactiv, everythinggggg to clear up my skin but this wash has been the best for me. i use it twice a day with my clarisonic. it dries up your acne (cystic or just red spots) significantly after each use!

on 7/29/2015 4:36:00 PM

Although I liked C&C Benzoyl Peroxide ointment, I dislike this cleanser. It is creamy and does not lather much and it does not heal my acne at all. I do not know why since I react well to benzoyl peroxide. Maybe the percentage in this cleanser is wrong. This cleanser was very drying too. I would not repurchase this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

I don't get how this stuff works on my skin type.. I usually have super dry flaky skin but ever since I've used this my skin is incredible. I don't break out like I used to and it makes my skin flawless and clean. I've tried so many expensive brands even Peter Thomas Roth and dermalogia (sp?) and they didn't even work this well. I also use cetaphil extreme moisturizer in the tube so that probably stops me from over drying. It's been five years fighting my acne and I think I finally have control over it!

on 5/18/2015 10:49:00 PM

It worked ok. It just dried out my skin more. It's too harsh for sensitive skin. Wouldn't repurchase.

I went back and deleted my original review. Since I was 14, this is the only thing that has been able to keep my forehead completely acne free. I literally have no zits on my forehead when I use this stuff. Whenever I try other washes, I develop tiny red zits or whatever. Not with this wash. My forehead just loves benzoyl peroxide. I stopped using it for awhile because I was trying to go natural. That resulted in tons of acne. And the best thing about this wash? I only have to use it like once a week. I moisturize every day and night, but I don't break out. And if I do happen to develop a stray zit, this wash knocks it out entirely. I love it. I usually buy the Walmart generic (Equate) so it's very cheap and it lasts forever. It's too strong to use on my cheeks or jaw, but fantastic for my forehead.