Clean & Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleaner

Clean & Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleaner
Continuous Control Acne Cleaner

3.7

Active: Benzoyl Peroxide (10%) Inactive: Glycerin, Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Water, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Zinc Lactate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Menthol, Fragrance, Potassium Polyphosphate, Titanium Dioxide, Carbomer

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I think this is a great cleanser for teenagers or anyone with acne problems, I have used so many cleansers and acne treatments and those were only temporary, I started using this and within a week and a half my face was cleared up! Now I have no pimples on my face just some scars but I definitely recommend using this acne cleanser everyday

on 9/16/2016 10:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

As a cleanser I'm definitely not a fan but in terms of treating acne, it's not too bad. I had a mild break out, used this and it dried it up within 3 days. I used it am and pm. It did leave my face dry so in the morning I used a moisturizer after. But after day 3 I notice pimples coming up that weren't there before. My sister said it might be purging my skin and pores so I continued using it. It's been 3 weeks now and my face isn't completely cleared yet. Because it treated my break out I'm continuing to use it but only at night. It also left my skin feeling like it wasn't clean. I had to use a warm cloth or my exfoliating face rag just to ensure the product was completely off my face. I'm still on the fence about it but I'm going to continue using it another 3 weeks so I can truly see if it worked for me or not

UPDATE: So maybe it's been a week since I wrote my initial review and gave a rating of 3 since I was still on the fence. My face got worse than it was before and the product left my face feeling like I had a film or residue on it still. I lowered my rating because as a cleanser it didn't do a great job. I'm currently using my facial acne scrub with sasylic acid just to rid my face of the pimples this product caused and to cleanse my pores. I wouldn't recommend this cleanser to anyone. I'm going to keep it in my closet to potentially dry out and future acne out breaks I may encounter ...or just throw the remainder out

To Read all 279 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Every couple of months, I will get a horrible breakout (7-12) all over. The only thing that helps such an eruption for me is benzoyl peroxide. However, every product that I've tried dries out my skin to the point it feels like sandpaper. I was previously using Panoxyl wash but my skin can't handle it daily. I've been using this Clean & Clear Continuous Control AM and PM for about four days straight and I originally had 11 blemishes. I'm now down to one. I have zero scarring too which is pretty amazing. This stuff is so cheap and found everywhere. I don't know why I didn't try it sooner! The only downside is that this is a terrible cleanser! It doesn't really clean the face. I use this just as a "treatment" wash. I wear a full face of makeup and this stuff doesn't touch even simple makeup like tinted moisturizer. Just beware, you will need to do an oil cleanser first to remove makeup.

SAVED MY FACE! I went for a physical and mentioned to my dr that my face was breaking almost daily and she said it was probably hormonal. She suggested using this one daily. Not really a true review as I bought the Equate Brand but same ingredients and it helped over night. I'm on day seven now and have used it a few days even twice. I love the cooling scent and my face is all cleared up!!!! I have never had problems with breakouts like this and this has saved my face! It was getting embarrassing to go to work because I looked polka dotted on my face! Every day i was having a new flare up! And I hadn't changed ANYTHING! This has saved my face! It is a little drying so you need to moisturize, especially if you use is in the morning, but I'll take it because it has saved my sanity! I think if you used a benzoyl peroxide treatment cream on top of this, you would dry your face out too much. This ALONE is a miracle product. My first few days I used it, I washed at night with it and didnt put any moisturizer on top to give my skin a break from moisturizer and see if I could get these flare ups under control. My skin didnt feel super tight after washing it and no moisturizer but felt clean. It doesnt seem to strip your skin but deeply cleans. I don't even rinse it off at night by splashing my face, I use a warm wash cloth. It's a damn miracle in a tube. I even called my doctor back and thanked her for "SAVING MY FACE" and further embarrassment! Will use this FOREVER..I Kid you not.

I have been using this product for 2 years now. Before I relied on Neutrogena's Clear and Pore since I was 15. It worked perfect for me and I never had to worry about my very oily and acne prone skin. But unfortunately, after 7 years, the product finally stopped working. I remembered my cousins used Clean & Clear Continuous Control, so I gave it a shot.....and it's perfect! It was just what I was looking for and it gives me the punch of benzoyl peroxide to keep my skin at bay! I use it every day and night with moisturizer, I definitely rely on this product!

on 12/8/2015 10:27:00 PM

Love this face wash. Keeps my acne under control. I personally do not have horrible acne, but when it starts to flare up, I use this product to keep it under control. It does dry out my face especially in the winter so it is crucial that this is used with a moisturizer. Only downside is that this face wash is pretty expensive compared to most face washes.

on 10/24/2015 12:42:00 PM

This stuff is amazing. I broke out from a new bronzer and nothing I put on my face made the little red bumps go away. After 2 weeks, I got fed up and bought this cleanser. 3 days later, the bumps are GONE. The formula is drying, so I only use this in the morning.

on 9/15/2015 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Update 6/8/2016: Still using and loving this. My only wish is that they made a version of it without the BP and menthol. If I could rotate between one version with the active ingredient and one without, that would be ideal (and if they just lost the menthol all together, that would be great). I absolutely will never be without this cleanser again. I do wish I could get by only using something very gentle like Albolene, but it seems my skin needs to be washed with this at least every other wash to keep the closed comedones away. When I don't use it, my skin looks dull and bumpy.

Original:
In my never ending quest for the best skin I can get, I quit using this cleanser about 1.5 years ago because I was convinced the ingredients were too harsh and were not helping an acne flare up caused by coming off of birth control. Prior to that, I had been using it for the better part of a decade.

Chaos ensued, yet I never attributed any of the breakouts to not using this cleanser. Reviews such as those on Paula's Choice had me convinced that the ingredients in this were the devil.

For the next 1.5 years, I tried every cleanser ever made and every style of cleansing ever written about on the internet. To name a few: oil cleansing (tried pumpkin seed, castor, almond, olive, and hemp oils), cerave foaming, cetaphil gentle, Neutrogena ultra hydrating, Neutrogena salicylic wash, Pond's cold cream, garden of wisdom’s green tea wash, the acne.org wash, raw honey, noble zinc bar soap...this list could go on. My skin hated most of these cleansers. Either it was too stripped, or it wasn't clean enough.

On a whim, I picked this up again during yet another bad breakout. Lo and behold, suddenly my skin started feeling clean and happy. Within a week, my skin was noticeably clearer. I am on week two now and my skin continues to improve.

I wrote to J&J to ask the ph level. They said it ranges 3.5 - 4.7, which for me is perfect. After much experimentation with products and all the drama that I have gone through in dealing with adult acne, I have come to learn that the ph level of a product and how it affects your skin is REALLY important. So is being gentle...you need to exfoliate, but you can’t overdo it. One of the best things I did for my skin was to stop using a wash cloth and rely instead on chemical exfoliation (after much trial and error, I’ve settled on Biologique Recherge’s P50 lotion...the one WITH the phenol because it actually irritates my skin less than the one without, I suspect bc the ph of the phenol version is slightly less acidic).

For reference, I have oily skin and have been breaking out since age 12. I am 34 now. My skin was constantly breaking out with zits from ages 12 - 17 and I ended up on Accutane at age 17. I stayed mostly clear of what I’d call “real acne” from ages 18 - 33 (I went on birth control after Accutane, and during these years only dealt with mild clogged pores and blackheads, with the occasional “actual” zit or two). Then my skin promptly went insane when I quit birth control so I could get pregnant.

Do the “bad” ingredients in this cause harm over the long term? Is the menthol, fragrance or benzoyl peroxide in it contributing to aging? Maybe. But the menthol and fragrance are pretty far down on the list of ingredients, and my skin seems to LOVE benzoyl peroxide in short doses (I find wearing BP overnight even at 2.5% makes my skin looks like crap, but washing with 10% makes it look nice). The first 3 ingredients in this cleanser are actually soothing for skin (for my skin, at least) - Glycerin, Petrolatum, Mineral Oil.

The bottom line is that, for me, this cleanser works. I am never giving it up again.

on 8/11/2015 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

great product! i've done accutane, murad, proactiv, everythinggggg to clear up my skin but this wash has been the best for me. i use it twice a day with my clarisonic. it dries up your acne (cystic or just red spots) significantly after each use!

on 7/29/2015 4:36:00 PM

Although I liked C&C Benzoyl Peroxide ointment, I dislike this cleanser. It is creamy and does not lather much and it does not heal my acne at all. I do not know why since I react well to benzoyl peroxide. Maybe the percentage in this cleanser is wrong. This cleanser was very drying too. I would not repurchase this.