Dermablend Smooth Indulgence long lasting matte finish

Dermablend Smooth Indulgence long lasting matte finish
Smooth Indulgence long lasting matte finish

3.9

Aqua/Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Pentylene Glycol, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Methylparben, Cellulose Gum, Aluminum Hydroxide, Magnesium Sulfate, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Tristearin, Acetyalted Glycol Stearate, Acrylates Copolymer, Butylparaben May Contain: CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, CI 77499, CI 77492, CI 77491/Iron Oxides

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

I started Retin A on my skin after everything else failed. If you went through a purging stage you will know how ugly and impossible to cover those break outs are. I am breaking out in red hive like rashes on my forehead, cysts on my chin, a ton of white heads all over cheeks, plus I have black heads all over my nose and orange peel skin on my cheeks. Oh did I mention scar picks and boxing scars on the apples of my cheeks.
I have accumulated a collection of FD: GA Liquid Silk (love for winter), Revlon ColorStay (doesn't transferon white collars of my shirts ), MUFE Velvet Mat (summertime fave), Lancome Ultra (my HG before the breakout), B&B Liole (after laser treatments), Korres Mineral FD (everyday but too light for my break outs now) and a dozen of others that I returned.
NOTHING, I mean literally, NOTHING , could cover my scars before. I guess over years I got used to the idea of never seeing my face poreless and even -toned (Oh, forgot to mention my rosacea). I saw the starter kit at Winners for $10 and since I just enjoy experimenting,so I bought it.
I used it the 1st time without a primer - I went and bought the 2nd kit. 2nd time I used it with Lancome primer and Benefit Hello Flawless powder applied with an angled blush brush before a party and I cried - It was cruel in a way, I saw my face the way it would have been now if I was lucky to have a good skin. It literally erased my scars, hid pores, evened out my moon surface face like I had healthy skin.
I think it is a medical grade concealer rather than a FD. It has no smell, thick cream like texture, but it feels light and not heavy at all.
I recommend squeezing some on your fingers, rub them to warm it up and start patting on your face (not rubbing or spreading - it is too thick). Watch the magic unfolds in front of your eyes - I usually take my Sephora Platinum FD Brush # 56 to polish it more and buff it in my dialated pores. I recommend setting it with a powder to make the results longer (I love Benefit Hello Flawless it adds the final oompf). After that I smile - I love my look in the mirror.
Here are some cons:
- color selection is, well, poor - 2 in each category: light, medium, deep= 6 colors only.
- transfers on clothes upon contact (dont' rub on your beau's dark suit he won't be happy).
- full coverage will matt you out, I need to use my Laguna bronzer that I normally skip but otherwise u will look flat. Also a highlighter and a blush.
- not a good choice if u r looking for a FD to hide minor scarring or just a couple of spots here and there, u will find it too much.
- no SPF - potographs beautifully but u will need to use a SS underneath
But when I have a date or a going out night when u will use anything and everything - I will use as my secret weapon. :-)

Shocked to see so many bad reviews?! And this picture looks like it's from the 80s, totally needs updated.

The sales associate at Ulta who helped me with this said they recently re-formulated some of their foundations and she likes them a lot more now so maybe that's what was causing negative remarks?

Anyway... I adore this stuff! When I was on tretinoin it's the absolute only foundation that works on acne and intense peeling skin. You seriously look flawless after you put it on, this will cover anything. Not too oily and not dying either. It also never feels heavy on my face, which I'm shocked about because every single liquid foundation I've tried on feels cakey and heavy on me. This never does though! Make sure you use a good foundation brush though, I tried putting it on with my fingers one day and I think I just suck at that technique but it didn't look as nice. I really like that you don't need any concealer with this too.

After about 4 hours though I do notice it doesn't look as great as it did when I first put it on, but that's just normal because I have oily skin and no foundation will stay on my face for that long without needing touched up. Make sure you set it with a setting powder too. I know it's a bit expensive ($34 at Ulta) so some people may not feel like spending that much BUT I don't use it every day. Days where I'm bumming around or just running errands alone I use my cheaper compact CoverGirl foundation (it's between a liquid and a powder) which I've used for years. I feel like everyone should have a couple different foundations to use on different days anyway.

Edit: I just realized the old picture someone had up here of it is NOT the right one. That 80s looking one is from Vichy's brand of dermablend foundations found at CVS. It's crappy and always gets bad reviews, the Dermablend I'm talking about is the one Ulta carries. I really wonder now if people are getting them confused and that's why this foundation is ranked so horribly. I updated a picture of the real Dermablend I'm using now.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This stuff is amazing. The ultimate full coverage foundation. Your skin must be moisturized and primed bc it's easy to screw it up and look like a cakey mess. I use this as a concealer all the time, it covers anything and doesn't budge. As a foundation I only use it at night (i don't care for matte finishes during the day) when my skin acting up or if i want to look extra flawless, I wouldn't say it's a daily foundation though. I believe it's around $27 and lasts forever. The packaging is perfect. I'm on my 2nd tube, about to run out and will need to repurchase, for me this is something I always need to have in my stash.

on 8/31/2013 7:59:00 PM

*GREAT FOUNDATION FOR MELASMA SUFFERERS*

Hi.

OK so, i've ranted and raved about various other foundations in the past. BUT, i've come full circle. I have the worst melasma in the world, and while i'm working on it (and totally chucked the bathroom full of foundation and went fully RMS coconut oil super natural minimal makeup line in an attempt to embrace and heal my skin - thought it was my HG but not enuf coverage)....I've gone back to where I began many many years ago - DERMABLEND.

why? because melasma gets so much worse with the sun, and only hardcore physical sunblocks help. dermablend has really good coverage and spf performance.

**this is not the same as the limited range of crappy vichy/dermablend sold at CVS**

i went to ULTA and was so pleased to see that dermablend has a great range of shades now, and multiple formulations. i use this smooth indulgence in wheat and caramel - super yellow-y and great for slightly tan caucasian summer skin. it makes me look pretty good. doesn't break me out (and i have really persistent adult acne issues around the chin and nose) it's heavy coverage, but if you buff with a sponge/cloth/brush you can get it to whatever level you want. but this isn't for girls who want light coverage. this is the big guns. for people who want to cover their skin. that said, it's not off-puttingly cakey or uncomfortable. i really really feel confident and protected in this foundation. it's a great choice for people who need to even out their complexion and protect from the sun. none of those stupid BB creams or regular foundations "with spf" cut it if you have a serious issue. anyway, bravo dermablend, thanks for the mega foundation with great range and formulation and performance. lasts all day. doesn't oxidize noticeably on me -- way better than cover blend and cover FX (which i hate!!!! oxidizes like crazy!!!) i will re-purchase and have already bought additional shades in anticipation of fall. and cuz im like an ocd prepper when it comes to foundations. **SIDE NOTE: use in conjunction with la mer concealer in #2, which for some reason really covers brownish melasma well. it's super opaque but not cakey, and is the best shade of pink correcting foundation for brown spots that i have found yet - just a tip for you melasma sufferers, i know it's incredibly frustrating to find the right solution

on 7/14/2006 6:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I forgot about this lovely foundation. I was cleaning my makeup drawer of foundations and found this. Tried it and suprise, I forgot how much I liked it. I would say it is med to full coverage. and does not look fake! In fact on my 40 something skin. My skin looks healthy and good with this on. I will use this for days I want a more natural look. I have very ruddy skin and freckles and found this little gem wonderful. My top ten favorite foundations for sure. Sand beigh worked great for me. Try it ladies.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I'm not sure if this foundation is packaged differently in different countries, but in America, it's just a white tube and is simply called "Smooth Indulgence Foundation SPF 20"

From the Ulta website, the company boasts "Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Foundation gives twice the coverage of a classic foundation. It's lightweight, blendable texture gives up to 16 hours of wearability with Setting Powder. The result is a radiant flawless complexion leaving skin smooth and comfortable all day long."

First claim: Double the coverage of a classic foundation.
To be honest, I have fairly good skin. I don't require a heavy foundation- but I like them. If I'm going to make the effort to put on foundation, I want my skin to look like a china doll. The claim "double the coverage" is absolutely ridiculous. While it does have fairly good coverage, concealer will still be required for under eye circles and blemishes, a step I didn't want to have to take.

Second Claim: "Lightweight, blendable texture"
I expected thick, gloopy texture, and that's definitely what I got. Directly after being squeezed out, the foundation has the consistency of a thick custard. Rubbing it into the skin to warm it up causes it to thin a bit. I've tried applying it several different ways, and the best way it to use fingers. Brushes can work, but blending takes forever and a day. The warmth of fingers make it easier to blend. I suggest rolling and patting fingers to really make it sink it.

Third Claim: "16 hours of wearibility"
This is the major problem with the foundation- 16 hours is a joke. I have normal skin thats more on the dry side. I have absolutely no problem with most foundations lasting on my skin, except with this one! I find it fading after 3 hours, gathering around pores, fine lines, and dry patches. It disappears completely around my nose and creases terribly around my mouth- and I'm 18... lol. Redness begins to peek through. It just... deteriorates. Honestly, I look like I have a disease. I've tried setting it with so many different powders and none of them help. ): boo.

Fourth Claim: "radiant and flawless complexion"
Obviously it doesn't keep the complexion flawless, but it doesn't keep it radiant either. I find it strange that a matte finish foundation would give the claim of "radiant". It's really hard to describe the finish of it- it's not just matte, it's flat. Unrealistic, boring and slightly ashy looking. It may be that the foundation is not completely perfect for my skin tone, but when I originally but it on it looks great. As it deteriorates, it seems to oxidize grey? It's really hard to explain, but it's not a good look./

The first hour or so of wear is fantastic- high coverage, with a nice matte finish. Unfortunately the foundation deteriorates into a hot mess. I'd recommend this only for short amounts of time- which is a waste of time. Why take time to apply and blend it if it doesn't last?

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make it last longer, shoot them my way! I'd love to be able to use this! Thanks!(:

on 6/24/2012 7:34:00 PM

I love this foundation!!!! I have melasma and in the summer months it gets worse. I walked into ULTA right after a beach vacation and my patches were horrible, and one of the girls at the counter helped me find what I needed to help cover them. I purchased the foundation, concealer and setting powder and have been in love ever since. I apply it with brushes and put the concealer on after the foundation and it looks great. Nothing will cover the brown patches completely, but this does so without feeling heavy and thick. It also has a nice finish to it, not too matte, but a pretty refined polished look!
It holds up to humidity and after a 12 hr work day it still looks great with just one powder touch up.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

My skin is NC20 combination skin. I bought this foundation at Macy's but not before trying it on at the store. I've been using it for almost 2 weeks now and I can say it is an amazing foundation. It is easy to apply, very silky, and it covers my breakout scars very well. I NEVER get compliments at work as far as my foundation goes but for the last week several people have said "Your makeup looks so pretty! what are you doing differently?"
This is a full coverage foundation and it lasts well into the night (my 12 hr shifts). Of course after 10 hours or so my forehead starts to look a little shiney but I just blot it with powder.
This foundation feels good on the skin, not too heavy, not too light. The finish is matte and I use either an HD white powder or a matte pressed powder (with a brush). I have a feeling I will be buying this again because I absolutely love it.

I have had acne for 15 years so I have lots of redness and some scarring. I have tried so many different kinds of makeup that won't irritate my skin but will still give me great coverage to hide everything. I bought this 2 days ago and I am in love with it! This is the best makeup I have ever used in my life. Just a small amount makes my skin look flawless, and believe me, it is not. It is very long lasting, too. It lasted me all day outside on a windy day. I also like that it is non-comedogenic, oil-free, fragrance-free, and non-acnegenic. This stuff is a LIFESAVER! I will never go back to anything else.

on 1/3/2007 8:17:00 AM

This is a very nice foundation. It does give a matte finish and has a very nice smooth consistency. It looks alot better and you get better coverage if you use a taklon foundation brush vs. your fingers. Coverage is medium to slightly heavy. It has decent lasting power, better if you use a primer first and also apply a setting powder over on top of the foundation. Otherwise, it will crease late in the day. It has minimal ingredients but it is silicone base. No SPF so you need to wear a separate SPF with it. Very nice for travel since it's in a squeeze tube. Would definitely repurchase.