Wen by Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

3.2

Not tested on animals

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I got a 16 oz bottle from a family friend, and I was not impressed. I don't get it, it didnt do anything for my dry and coarse hair, but the family friend had raved about it for her hair. Maybe it just works for certain people and not for others? I used this as directed for over a week, and I didn't see any change at all really. It didnt hurt my hair, but it didnt help it either- and for the money I wouldn't notice the difference so why fork out that kind of cash? 16 pumps per shower and $32 a bottle? No thanks! I will stick to my normal moisturizing shampoos and conditioners from Matrix Smooth, Loreal professional line (light yellow one) or Joico moisture recovery. This just wasn't for me.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I definitely urge people to do their research before falling for the hype! I have been using this for 3 weeks now, and I am pretty sure it's a waste of money :( My hair feels nice and fluffy and clean on day 1, but the flyaways are horrendous. It looks like all my hairs are breaking off... Not sure if that's the case? I have mid-back length, fine hair and a lot of it, and after a day it looks oily and in need of a wash again, with a waxy feel. Brushing is difficult after the 1st day and I don't think this conditions my mid lengths and ends as well as it claims. There is no shine to my hair using this vs normal conditioner, and I noticed this morning that my scalp is a bit flaky. Overall, considering the price and how much of the product you are meant to use each time, there is no way this would last me a month, and I won't be repurchasing. Smells good though :)

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Let me begin by saying I used this product for a year. At first I loved it. Hair felt softer and healthier. But in hindsight I should have paid attention to all the hair that was falling out every time I used it -10 time more than usual fall out. I ignored it thinking maybe it cyclical but it never stopped. Then early this year I noticed my part getting lot wider and I was able to see my scalp in some areas when hair was pulled back. I have always had such thick hair all my life that hairdressers always complained how long it took to cut all my thick hairs. So to go from plush, thick hair to bald spots overnight was utterly heart breaking. I should add it seemed to be overnight to me since my realization came in late, but the whole balding process was happening over the year it's just that I realized when it was really obvious. I went to my doctor for all sorts of tests to rule out health problems and everything came fine. No anemia or thyroid problems. Then it occurred to me it might be Wen since I had seen so much hair falling out when I washed it and it wasn't growing back at the same rate. I think the heaviness of the "conditioning rinse" and its inability to wash your scalp properly had clogged my scalp pores which therefore prevented from new hairs to grow out. I have now stopped it for a month and slowly am seeing hair getting fuller again and some new growth. So this confirmed to me it was Wen. And to think I was paying $32 every 3 weeks for a bottle of this only to make my bald! I basically threw close to $700 down the drain last year for this garbage. Really disappointed in this product.

on 12/17/2013 11:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hands down, the best product for cleansing and treating that I've ever used on my hair. I have long (down to my mid-back) wavy hair, and I have a lot of it, and my hair texture includes both fine and medium-coarse (yes, all on my one head lol). My hair dries out really quickly, though I'd say it's a normal moisture level; but because I color it frequently (around 6x or more per year) it's damaged/dry; and it's also very temperamental; I cannot just "wash n' go", and I cannot use "whatever" on my hair; and I'm very particular, so not a lot of products leave a pleasant residue or don't feel right or don't smell good, and all of that impacts my experience. Shea Moisture shampoos and conditioner were the pinnacle of my hair product findings, until I tried Wen. So, nothing from a drug store cut it, and I frankly get a headache when I think of salon formula possibilities (at a certain point, I don't have the patience nor the ability to tell a lot of their results apart, be it Redken, or TIGI, or Rusk, or what have you). So a year ago, on the rave review of a cousin, who in mid-July Chicago steamy hot weather, had perfectly smooth, blown-dry hair, and said "It's Wen! You've got to try it!" I did just that. I started with Sweet Almond Mint, and upon first use, I noticed that the texture and consistency of the product itself was actually one of the best, smoothest, and most easily-applied conditioners (using it, of course, as intended per Wen instructions). It felt smoother than most deep-conditioners or detanglers. It saturated my hair; I felt it tingling my scalp and the nape of my neck, and when I rinsed it out that first time, my hair felt re-texturized, even while wet: when I shampoo and condition with a non-Wen product line, I'll rinse out and kind of flip the ends of my hair with my hands, and depending on how my wet hair drops back down against my back, I can tell how it'll act when it's dried and styled. So for example, if I pick up the bulk of my wet hair, and release it, and it kind of...feels hard? or unflexible? then I know it'll be a more resistant styling session. But with Wen, upon first use, I could feel the flexibility after it was all rinsed out, and when it was still wet. And it detangled well, and it felt clean, and without residue. And it was shinier than anything. I only applied it as a cleanser and rinsed it out; I didn't use any of it on my damp hair to detangle. But because I'm OCD and a product junkie, I still used defrizzers and styling creams on my hair (I'm of the belief that the more healthy and healing product you have on your hair, the more it takes the hit, and not your hair's shaft nor it's moisture level, when you blow-dry.) So when I used Wen again and again consecutively, it was easier and easier to spread through my wet hair, to massage it into my scalp, and I'd notice, when I rinsed it out, that *even while soaking wet, and being hit with water pressure, I could still feel lift at my hair line, and at my scalp, more so than with any other product I'd ever used to shampoo and condition*. -- Now, I've used other "co washes" (As I Am Co-wash, and Ren's cleansing conditioner, as well as the co-wash by Nubian Heritage) and As I Am and Ren felt drying, or less slippery, both going on and rinsing out; and my texture was no where near where it was with Wen. The Nubian Heritage co-wash is almost right on par with Wen, but, I'm a sucker for volume at the roots, and for fragrance; and that's where I prefer Wen over NH. - though, in a pinch? I'd take it over any other cleansing/conditioning product or shampoo/conditioner set. So I tried other fragrances/varieties of Wen: Cucumber Aloe - slightly less moisturizing than the Sweet Almond Mint; Lavender - roughly the same as SAM; Pomegranate - also roughly the same, though the consistency of the product felt a little bit thinner; Fig - equally if not more moisturizing; Winter Vanilla Mint - equally moisturizing but somehow I feel like I still had a bit of frizz with it. AND, the baby-fine hair, that grows at one side of my hairline only, kind of like a cowlick, for the first time in years, it was growing in fully and more thick. So that was a tremendous bonus! Also, whereas with many shampoos, my temperamental skin, around my hairline, could be adversely affected and I'd get pimples or even cystic acne eruptions, I'd never, ever had a problem with Wen, in fact if anything, I think it helped clear up my skin. After a three month break from using Wen (because I take things for granted), I started back up again, and immediately noticed a difference in my hair texture, flexibility, volume, thickness, and strength. I use about two pumps or so to detangle my hair after I step out of the shower; and I still use other products to style and strengthen. But using it as a detangler/leave in is AMAZING. I love it even more now. I truly can't imagine not having Wen Sweet Almond Mint. 'm sure I'll get bored in the future and leave it for a week or a month, but when I think about how much shorter my showers are thanks to this product, and how easy, simple, and lovely it makes everything, it's amazing. It's truly amazing. My hair grows faster, it grows longer, and it's no longer a head-ache to wash it, and to feel like no matter what I apply after cleansing, it's still going to be dry, or break off, or just generally be disappointing. I feel like I can check off "great hair" as a beauty goal thanks to this product. Also, the cap that comes with the bottle? Keep that around; when the pump fails to pump the last bit left at the bottom, replace the pump with the original cap, turn the bottle upside, and smack it against your palm to get the rest out. Keep the pump to use for your next bottle. (I like to save every drop!) I think like 99.9% of the product can be retrieved, which is awesome.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

It's just okay. I use it when I shave my legs now.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I like this when I use shampoo first, not without. It makes my hair greasy and weighed down :/

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

When your husband sighs when he sees the sephora cashier girl ring you up for 45 bucks worth of hair product, you may be doing something very wrong. Or oh so right.

My hair? Dry, color processed into oblivion, flat, coarse. I have a lot of hair, but in volume it is lacking. I hate having stick straight hair that sticks onto my face. I often like hair that is tousled and looks slept in with some texture. My scalp is dry and in the winter it starts to flake like a mother. Every time i shower or brush my hair, i can literally hear hair breakage happen.

Before, i was using a tea tree oil shampoo from Kiehls and regular conditioner and then some drugstore styling products. It wasnt bad, but it wasnt ideal. My hair was so flat that i regularly curled it every night to give it some bounce. Of course, this probably made my hair condition even worse.

I heard about wen from a blogger and since her hair looks exactly like how gods hair would be, i decided to give it a try. Yes, its expensive as hades. I am the type of person who likes the mens 3 in 1 wash since it gets the job done and me out of the shower more quickly. Spending that much money on shampoo didnt sit well with my wallet, but i committed for a week and now am hooked.

1st day: saw very little change at first. I let it air dry, and my hair seemed much more shiny than before, but no noticable magic happened.

2nd use: hair is detangled easily without breakage. My hair looks more poofy, the desirable way. Very soft even after heating styling.

In between washes of every other day: no stinky oily hair, no flakes. WOW! That was my biggest problem. I would snowstorm on everyones black clothes until they slapped me away in disgust. My scalp was no longer over producing oil to make my hair limp.

My hair now is much softer, manageable, shinier. I dont know about color protection, since ive gone back to my natural black brown. My hair is tangle free and doesnt break as easily anymore.

I have to say that the required amounts of pump is ludicrous. I have hair down to my back, and i use about 5 pumps spit into two washes, with a nickle sized amount as leave in. The first few pumps, i evenly distribute on the scalp area, massage, and then rinse thoroughly. Repeat. Then, I wring the water out, comb that little bit of leave in through, add a little water, and then wring it all out again. Once a week, i use a clarifying shampoo and a strong leave in conditioner and let sit for an hour.

My hair is so soft and yet not a bit oily even on the second day. For best results, I rub a little bit of volumizing cream from the No Frizz grey bottle on and blow dry. For lazy summer days, I air dry and the results are very relaxed.

So yes, husband. My purchase is justified. Go away and use that 3 in 1.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This is my Holy Grail of hair care. I love it. It makes my hair feel like it was just washed at the salon EVERY TIME.

The first time I used it I did notice a lot of hair loss. I think that this was due to the fact that I have never combed my hair in the shower before. Nothing to be concerned about.

Also, you must must must rinse with cold water. I know it sucks but it does make a difference.

The only real CON I can think of is the price. It is expensive, especially if you have really thick/long hair and use a lot of the product. I made the mistake of switching to Liveclean to save money and was extremely disappointed.

********* EDIT ********* After using this product for a few months I have to reduce my overall rating significantly ! Now this product makes my hair feel heavy and greasy. I thought maybe I wasn't rinsing enough or the water wasn't cold enough when I rinsed - Nope.

After freezing my bum off in the shower for a good 2 min rinsing my hair - NOTHING. Never again.

on 2/17/2013 10:47:00 PM

I feel like this product doesn't work for me because my my specific routine. I only was my hair once a week so I think that because it is ink a conditioner, it won't clean all of the buildup in my hair. I have hair down to my hips and I honestly needed half amount they suggested, I also put water on it to make it go further, which you're supposed to do anyway. It literally made my hair feel dirty a couple of hours afterwards so I had to wash it again the next day with a cheap sulphate shampoo which with the matching conditioner makes my hair beautiful. Smell is okay, peppermint dominates it. Packaging is good and practice.

on 11/22/2012 9:37:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This junk causes excessive thinning!!! I damn near go into cardiac arrest every time I shampoo my hair since it looks like half my hair is in the shower after I stopped using this foolishness! It made my super thick course hair very soft so I thought this was a go product-- after a month of using and using correctly I noticed my hair was thinning... I was only taking my same BC pills that I had been taking for over 2 yrs so it wasn't the BC pills... I wasn't taking no other meds-- I was like I think this mess is thinning my hair and stopped using and sure enough did some review searching outside of makeup alley and what do you know - I'm only one of many thin haired victims- my hair has always been thick and this crap for lack of harsher word* has thinned my out so bad that I am on triple loads of biotin / prenatal vitamins / and in search of nothing less than a miracle. I am looking to sue- it is that bad... So for all you wen users that love it and all you Wen employees good luck cause this is a nothing but a scamming hair thinning epidemic... Oh I won't waste my or your time in writing about the scamming hassle to cancel this BS or get money back after they refuse to cancel your subscription... Yeah, subscription like a damn magazine or something...

Operation hair grow back in full effect!!!