Wen by Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

No Image

3.1

Not tested on animals

on 3/13/2017 3:36:00 PM

Very mediocre product. I have quite thick hair, so had to use LOADS of product to get a decent result. For the price, this is just unsustainable.
A pro is that I don't have to wash my hair as much.

on 8/24/2016 12:01:00 PM

FDA Issues Safety Alert for Hair Conditioner

on 8/25/2015 3:46:00 AM

This product is too heavy for my hair and weighs the hair down. I do not feel like my roots are sufficiently cleansed either. I suppose that this product would be better off on coarser, thicker hair. Anyone with fine hair, avoid this product.

on 5/7/2015 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I was SO dissatisfied with this "shampoo"! It was terrible. It made my fine, straight hair look oily and lifeless! And it DID NOT matter how much I used (I tried it all, a little or a lot) and every time it looked worse than the time before. The smell was great, but that is the only good thing about it. Otherwise, it was awful! You know when you take a shower, and you accidently use the conditioner twice rather than the shampoo followed by the conditioner and you can't figure out why your hair looks so terrible for the rest of the day? That is Wen in a nutshell. Very displeased.

I hate this!
I don't understand the whole "no shampoo" thing, although it has caught on pretty quickly. My mom had a bottle in her shower so I tried it. According to the commercials, I should have noticed an amazing difference after just one wash.
The only thing I noticed was greasy, flat hair and the sensation of weight on my head, like a petroleum jelly hat. If you enjoy spending up to $50 on QVC like mom did and still end up feeling totally unclean, this is for you!
All I want to know is this: does Chaz Dean use body washes? I think so. Then why wouldn't he or anyone else want clean hair? Meh, to each his or her own.

on 9/13/2014 3:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I got a bottle of this stuff as a gift. I have naturally oily skin and hair, so I wasn't sold on the idea of washing my hair with conditioner. To be safe, I decided to shampoo my hair first before using this as the bottle directed (even though it broke my heart to use so much product and I was skeptical of doing so). Well, my hair came out super silky, but so weighed down and greasy feeling. Nope, no thanks! But I'm not one to waste things, so I decided to try using this as regular conditioner (focusing on ends, using a small blob of product, not getting it near my roots, etc.), and you know what? It's actually an awesome conditioner for my coarse, thick hair. It does the best job of detangling my tangly hair of probably any conditioner I've used. I don't love the scent, but it's not strong and doesn't linger, so it's not really a problem for me. And with the way I use it, my bottle will probably last me for years. I've barely put a dent in it. I probably won't repurchase because I'm a cheapskate when it comes to most beauty products and I will try to find something comparable at a better price, but if that doesn't work out, I probably will come back to this.

on 7/3/2014 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

OK, I know I have reviewed this before, but I am a total Wen fan. I order the gallons when QVC runs them once a year -- you get two shipments per year -- $177/gallon. I realize this seems very expensive, but as I told my husband, I cut my own hair and I don't color so look at all the money I save there! I do as Chas recommends -- one shampoo to cleanse and a second to be left on while completing your shower and to condition. I only trim my (beyond shoulder) hair about twice a year and I NEVER see a split end. I also only blow dry during the winter months as I can't stand a hot dryer at any other time. I have very fine hair that's not very thick and this leaves my hair absolutely beautiful!

on 6/19/2014 6:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I love Wen! 6 months,and I will NOT use any thing else, I use 10 pumps,on wet hair,comb through,rinse,rinse rinse,repeat 10 pumps with 4 pumps 6-13,comb through,leave on for 3-5 minutes,rinse,rinse rinse,rinse,! I do this 3 times s week. I get my hair foiled every 12 weeks now Instead of every 6 weeks! my color just doesn't fade,oh and I take my wen with me when it's time for color,! Thank you Mr. Dean!

on 4/18/2014 12:55:00 AM

I have been using Wen for a year now, and I will not reorder after my last bottle is gone. I have had good days and bad days with this product. Some days my hair is very soft and manageable, and some days it is a greasy mess. However, EVERY day my hair is limp and lifeless. Even with a root lifter and an Instyler my hair is flat. Another thing is, I originally purchased Wen because of the infomercial where the 2 girls get their hair dyed red, and the one who washed with Wen had no color bleeding or fading. I love to have red hair and I thought it would be worth the money if this worked. NOPE! My hair color washed out immediately. I was so pissed. As far as packaging goes, I had several pumps that didn't work and I had to squeeze the product from the bottle. I also seemed to have a lot of hair come out at least a few times a week. I gave this product a good chance since I stuck with it for a year, but I'm done.

on 12/17/2013 11:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hands down, the best product for cleansing and treating that I've ever used on my hair. I have long (down to my mid-back) wavy hair, and I have a lot of it, and my hair texture includes both fine and medium-coarse (yes, all on my one head lol). My hair dries out really quickly, though I'd say it's a normal moisture level; but because I color it frequently (around 6x or more per year) it's damaged/dry; and it's also very temperamental; I cannot just "wash n' go", and I cannot use "whatever" on my hair; and I'm very particular, so not a lot of products leave a pleasant residue or don't feel right or don't smell good, and all of that impacts my experience. Shea Moisture shampoos and conditioner were the pinnacle of my hair product findings, until I tried Wen. So, nothing from a drug store cut it, and I frankly get a headache when I think of salon formula possibilities (at a certain point, I don't have the patience nor the ability to tell a lot of their results apart, be it Redken, or TIGI, or Rusk, or what have you). So a year ago, on the rave review of a cousin, who in mid-July Chicago steamy hot weather, had perfectly smooth, blown-dry hair, and said "It's Wen! You've got to try it!" I did just that. I started with Sweet Almond Mint, and upon first use, I noticed that the texture and consistency of the product itself was actually one of the best, smoothest, and most easily-applied conditioners (using it, of course, as intended per Wen instructions). It felt smoother than most deep-conditioners or detanglers. It saturated my hair; I felt it tingling my scalp and the nape of my neck, and when I rinsed it out that first time, my hair felt re-texturized, even while wet: when I shampoo and condition with a non-Wen product line, I'll rinse out and kind of flip the ends of my hair with my hands, and depending on how my wet hair drops back down against my back, I can tell how it'll act when it's dried and styled. So for example, if I pick up the bulk of my wet hair, and release it, and it kind of...feels hard? or unflexible? then I know it'll be a more resistant styling session. But with Wen, upon first use, I could feel the flexibility after it was all rinsed out, and when it was still wet. And it detangled well, and it felt clean, and without residue. And it was shinier than anything. I only applied it as a cleanser and rinsed it out; I didn't use any of it on my damp hair to detangle. But because I'm OCD and a product junkie, I still used defrizzers and styling creams on my hair (I'm of the belief that the more healthy and healing product you have on your hair, the more it takes the hit, and not your hair's shaft nor it's moisture level, when you blow-dry.) So when I used Wen again and again consecutively, it was easier and easier to spread through my wet hair, to massage it into my scalp, and I'd notice, when I rinsed it out, that *even while soaking wet, and being hit with water pressure, I could still feel lift at my hair line, and at my scalp, more so than with any other product I'd ever used to shampoo and condition*. -- Now, I've used other "co washes" (As I Am Co-wash, and Ren's cleansing conditioner, as well as the co-wash by Nubian Heritage) and As I Am and Ren felt drying, or less slippery, both going on and rinsing out; and my texture was no where near where it was with Wen. The Nubian Heritage co-wash is almost right on par with Wen, but, I'm a sucker for volume at the roots, and for fragrance; and that's where I prefer Wen over NH. - though, in a pinch? I'd take it over any other cleansing/conditioning product or shampoo/conditioner set. So I tried other fragrances/varieties of Wen: Cucumber Aloe - slightly less moisturizing than the Sweet Almond Mint; Lavender - roughly the same as SAM; Pomegranate - also roughly the same, though the consistency of the product felt a little bit thinner; Fig - equally if not more moisturizing; Winter Vanilla Mint - equally moisturizing but somehow I feel like I still had a bit of frizz with it. AND, the baby-fine hair, that grows at one side of my hairline only, kind of like a cowlick, for the first time in years, it was growing in fully and more thick. So that was a tremendous bonus! Also, whereas with many shampoos, my temperamental skin, around my hairline, could be adversely affected and I'd get pimples or even cystic acne eruptions, I'd never, ever had a problem with Wen, in fact if anything, I think it helped clear up my skin. After a three month break from using Wen (because I take things for granted), I started back up again, and immediately noticed a difference in my hair texture, flexibility, volume, thickness, and strength. I use about two pumps or so to detangle my hair after I step out of the shower; and I still use other products to style and strengthen. But using it as a detangler/leave in is AMAZING. I love it even more now. I truly can't imagine not having Wen Sweet Almond Mint. 'm sure I'll get bored in the future and leave it for a week or a month, but when I think about how much shorter my showers are thanks to this product, and how easy, simple, and lovely it makes everything, it's amazing. It's truly amazing. My hair grows faster, it grows longer, and it's no longer a head-ache to wash it, and to feel like no matter what I apply after cleansing, it's still going to be dry, or break off, or just generally be disappointing. I feel like I can check off "great hair" as a beauty goal thanks to this product. Also, the cap that comes with the bottle? Keep that around; when the pump fails to pump the last bit left at the bottom, replace the pump with the original cap, turn the bottle upside, and smack it against your palm to get the rest out. Keep the pump to use for your next bottle. (I like to save every drop!) I think like 99.9% of the product can be retrieved, which is awesome.

Popular Hair Products