Wen by Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

2.9

Not tested on animals

on 6/5/2017 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a good product,not miracolous as they make it seem on tv tho. It did leave my hair clean and nice,but I dont really think its worth the price and all the extra time it takes to wash your hair. Its really pricey since you need a lot of product and the bottle is really expensive.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Used this once & it actually felt so stripping & my hair was so hard to comb through & I use a specific wet comb from Sally's for this. Not a fan.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

This is not a shampoo. This is a conditioner. A very expensive conditioner that doesn't clean your hair. Don't kid yourself. I got a sample of this in my myglam bag.

It feels really waxy when you put it on in the shower and you have to use a TON of product to get the full effect. I'd say it's a decent conditioner, but for someone like me who gets oily hair, it does NOT clean. Do not recommend.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Okay, apologies in advance for the novel you're about to read.

So, I've had this product for about a week now. I wanted to wait it out and see whether or not I liked it after a while.

My breakdown:

I have dark blonde/light brunette hair that hits about upper back (shoulder blade region) with extreeeemely oily roots. I had dyed it several months back, but as money is tight, I'm letting it grow out. I also suffer from split ends.

I had been watching those damn infomercials that we all get sucked into and came across the one for Wen. It seemed like a dream come true, a product that works for ALL HAIR TYPES?!?! Could this be?!?!?! I'll get into that.

Pretty much, it comes in a pump bottle, as many of the other reviews mention. Depending on your hair length determines how many pumps you use. For me, they said to use 3-4 pumps. Again, I have oily roots, and this is a "cleansing CONDITIONER". I usually can't use conditioner at my roots, unless I would like to look homeless, in which case, sign me up. I ended up cutting mine with water so as not to have such a thick buildup.

After much contemplation and posting a topic on MUA's hair care board, I caved and bought it. For $29 and change, you get the cleansing conditioner, the styling cream, the texturizing product, the hair mask, and their comb.

Now, again, I've been using this for about a week. The first day I used it, I was AMAZED! I had at least 3 different people ask me what I did differently to my hair and whether or not I recolored it. I was tickled.

Day 2: Hair was looking pretty darn good, but I noticed, as many have mentioned, that my hair was falling out more than normal. Didn't think much of it aside from "eww".

Day 3: Hair started to feel greasy and like I left product in it. You know that feeling where if you don't rinse completely, it just feels gross. Mind you, I rinsed for about 4 minutes straight trying to make sure that it was out. So, I did decide to leave days in between where I didn't wash to see if that would help at all. Big fat "No" on that one.

Days 4-5: My scalp looked like I hadn't touched it in WEEKS. The amount of "buildup" (if you could even call it that) was gross! I tried to hide it, like many of us do, by slicking it back into a bun and spraying the ever-living-S out of it with hairspray. I took it out later in the day and it was done, I actually had to rewash my hair because it looked so nasty. Even my husband said to me "Daine, did you shower today? I love you, but you look greasy."

Needless to say, I'm over it.

AND!!! Hey thanks Guthy Renker, they put you on a monthly mailing!!!! YAY!!! So, as we speak, I'm canceling it.

Now, this is just what happened to me. It said in one of that pamphlets inside that it does work on all hair types, including oily hair. I think this product is wonderful if you have drier hair, but personally for me, I think I'll just stick to using it on my ends until I've used it all up. I hate throwing money away.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Although cliche to say, Wen has changed my life. My hair was horrible before I found Wen. My favorite is the sweet almond mint. It cleanses my hair beautifully- which I was scared of it making me greasy- but it DOES NOT. It puts enough moisture into my hair also. I also adore the re-moist sweet almond mint mask.

P.S. the replenishing mists are fabulous also.

on 7/30/2010 2:51:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Warm

I purchased this product to add moisture to my color treated hair. I found I had more split ends with my usual hair routine after use of a whole bottle. I usually wash my hair every other day and this product leaves a film or dull residue on your hair. I found my hair greasy after day one. I would have to use this as my conditioner and to keep on using a regular shampoo to clear this products build up. This definitely adds time to your beauty routine since you have to comb the product through your hair and give proper time for it to set. i wouldn't mind the extra time if it made a difference but it didn't. For the same price I would probably prefer to use Fekkai products.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My mother is a infomercialholic and purchased this item. She didn't like it because she felt it weighed down her thin hair so she gave it to me.
I have to say I wanted to like it because I like the idea of it. It smelled nice and I liked the tingle in the shower. However the results were awful. My hair does feel soft right after wards but then the ends start to feel dry and brittle and my scalp becomes oily and itchy. I tried using more product and leaving it in longer but this yielded even worst results. The only way I got semi-acceptable results was by applying Jonathan Smooth leave in conditioner at my ends. Even then at the end of the day my scalp became REALLY greasy.
The worst part was this made my hair EXTREMELY frizzy. I had to use a lot of traditional products during styling to keep the frizz at bay.
I used the entire bottle and gave it a chance but when it comes down to it, this product was crap.
Maybe the key to this product is to wash your hair every day with it (to avoid the oil slick it causes) and then have a celebrity stylist at your house every morning to turn the crappy results into something acceptable.

on 12/15/2009 10:20:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I'm African American and wear my hair natural, about 2" in length. So, I'm a wash n' go kinda girl. I normally only shampoo my hair 1-2 times a week, I usually just use conditioner as a leave in. But after my trial week with this product I really thought this was for me (even though it made my time in the shower significantly longer). So, a friend and I chipped in on the gallon size from Amazon. The pump on that thing is huge, so with my short hair 1-2 pumps was more than sufficient, which was great because it would last me longer than the normal sized bottles.

But after a week of use, suddenly my back and chest started breaking out in various sized bright red bumps. This hadn't happened before, but just the same I stopped using it for a few days and sure enough the bumps slowly disappeared (with the help of some witch hazel). So, I'll have to pass on this and go back to my Carol's Daughter products. Also, I noticed that lately since the temperature has dropped into the 20's and teens this does not keep my curls moisturized throughout the day. By the evening my hair feels crunchy and dry.

After my first experience with Wen, I became a product advocate for Chaz Dean and encouraged all my friends to give it a try. I still suggest you all try it out (if you can find a sale or special) because for some people the results are beautiful (like my friend), but I'll stick to Carol's Daughter and stock up while they have the free shipping specials this week.

on 10/7/2009 6:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Review for Cucumber Aloe Cleansing Conditioner, not the Sweet Almond Mint. I love this stuff, went for it cuz of natural-ness, glad I did. my hair is at my natural waist, super straight, brunette, nice amount of hair (so not "thin"), but the cuticle is fine and I'm very oily (cucumber one is best for fine/oily). Add water to help distribute through strands & poss use less, love that I don't have to wait until after rinsing conditioner to wash my body, cuz this doesn't leave a residue on my body like a normal conditoner, so I can wash face body while its sitting, and rinse hair last, time savings!, I use it to shave since its moisturizing yet helps make for a cleansed shaving environment, might feel not so silky hair when I rinse it out, but then you add a lil as leave in and when it dries it feels great, light, healthy, silky (perhaps due to lack of silicones like normal coniditoners), I use it every other day. By ensuring hair was REAL WETTED, or adding water to the formula itself, and combing through well, I was able to make the 16oz bottle last my natural-waist-length hair 6weeks, which matches their 16oz=45days claim, even with my long hair.

I ordered 4 peice kit for $112 total (includes ~$7 S&H): I got (2) 16oz pump top bottles, that's 45 days each if you're careful, a styling creme, deep conditioner, and pomade type texturizing stick. Deep conditioner is nice to do sometimes, and I like it, but its all kinda pricey to me, so when I called to return or ask for better deal, he said I could return the deep cond & styling creme and exchange for two 16oz cleansing conditioners instead, that's a better deal for me, 4x16=64oz @$112 is $1.75/oz. But then they sent me (2) 12oz replacements instead of (2) 16oz, I'm trying to get them to fix that for me, we'll see.

See this website for a synopsis of the healthiness or toxicity of the ingredients for the Cucumber Aloe Clenasing Conditioner, it scored a 4/10, where 0 is best, pretty good, just a few questionable ingredients, satisfactory to me

i liked this lady's review of it online too: http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/03/09/how-to-clean-your-hair-with-conditioner/
but I don't know about using a reg conditioner like she says for me unless I can find a natural one without silicon, silicon is what I think leaves that residue on my back when i rinse that I then have to wash off, but as I said, not the case with Wen

Want to try Nature's Gate Daily Herbal Cleansing Conditioner (Henry's Marketplace lady is ordering it for me) & Sally Beauty Supply's "Hair One", which I've heard is a generic of Wen, as I'm sure these are way cheaper, afterall, Chaz Dean didn't "invent" cleansing conditioners.

Note, Wen paperwork confirms you have 60 days to try from DATE of RECEIPT (vice date of order) in case you need to return, cust svc seems to forget this, don't let them! Note your delivery date, or look it up on USPS.com if you saved your box. I'm only trying to return becasue I want to try other kinds that are cheaper, then if I no luck will rebuy Wen.

on 12/24/2008 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

This stuff is GREAT. I have oily, color treated hair and this cleans it without stripping my color. My blonde color looks great all the time with no fading. It moisturizes wonderfully. Just try it!!

Video Reviews & Tutorials