Wen by Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

3.6

Not tested on animals

on 6/22/2014 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've heard about co-washing for years but had the usual concerns of oily roots, smell, that sort of thing. I finally decided to try Wen after if had been recommended rather heartily by a lovely Sephora associate in Willow Bend, TX, so I bought the starter kit. First off, I love the smell, it's just perfect. It doesn't seem to stick around after my hair has been styled, but I guess that's what the refresher is for! Anyway, I have very blonde highlighted hair with lowlights. I wash, blow dry and flat iron around 2-3x's/week. Basically, my hair is dry and damaged and fine. When I use the washing conditioner, I use 4 full pumps, which I thought was a lot until I read on here that you're supposed to use 10-15 pumps, that would be like half of the bottle!! But 4 pumps seems to be perfect for me, I make sure I get it all up in my scalp and massage it around, and of course the length but my hair is only shoulder length. There is no lathering at all which takes a minute to get used to, but the good massage action gets my hoar perfectly clean, no strange leftover odors. I usually let it sit while I finish showering, in case it continues to condition, then I gently rinse, I don't even rinse it entirely off. After several weeks of using this, I'm about halfway through the bottle and I bought the bigger size, even though my wallet cried. I can't see myself going back to mere foaming shampoos again, regardless of hair coloring status. I love this stuff. Oh, no greasy roots either, although if it starts to feel a little buildup-y I'll use a regular foaming shampoo (gently) maybe like twice a month, followed by the wen deep moisture mask.

on 9/20/2013 9:51:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Neutral

I can understand the negative reviews from people who have fine, limp, thin, straight hair. This system would be overkill for such delicate locks. But I have a mop of heavy, thick, extremely long hair that I continually process with color and perms. It typically takes me 5 or 6 different heavy moisturizing treatments and silicone based oils to keep my hair smooth, shiny, and bouncy. If I don't go through an entire ritual of layers upon layers of products, my hair is a dry, frizzy, huge mess. My hair absorbs products like a sponge so I can use a ton of stuff daily and have no problems.

Upon first use of this product I could see a HUGE huge difference! Even in the shower, my hair just kind of fell into a big pile of silky smooth strands instead of feeling like a frizzy batch of straw with regular shampoo. I did mix this with one pump of the Six Thirteen I think it's called. Even with my extremely long, thick hair, I only used maybe 8 pumps of the Sweet Almond Mint Cleaning Conditioner, and 1 pump of the Six Thirteen. I left it for maybe 2 minutes, rinsed, then did just a couple more pumps of the Almond Mint and half pump of the Six Thirteen. I finished with half pump of Six Thirteen as a leave-in.

I used about a nickel sized amount of the anti-frizz styling cream.

Today my hair is extremely smooth, silky, and shiny. It does not feel at all heavy, though I could see with constant use of the Wen system, a person may get buildup. Buildup is GOOD for my hair and I try to achieve it, so I don't care. If I feel like my hair is getting greasy or oily, I will just use a normal shampoo for a day. And if oily greasy buildup becomes a problem, I don't mind just using this stuff as a conditioner and shampooing normally every day.

Yes it's expensive, but so is the other shopping cart full of products that I have bought and tried over the years. I have purchased and used up everything from the cheapest drug store stuff, to the $50 a bottle high end salon brands. At the end of the day, the result is always the same - need to use tons of product, layered on top of each other, to achieve smooth, silky, shiny hair. I am impressed that I've used a total of only 3 products to get the same result. So for me, much less product and less varieties of product for the same or better result.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I'm officially a Wen girl now and have been for about four months, but already I am hooked. Such a great product-these cleansing conditioners. I have a hair type that is extremely unusual in the sense that it is of fine coverage with strands that are actually quite thick. Because of this, I find it beneficial to use two different formulas of the cleansing conditioner one for my scalp and one for the midshaft and ends. This formula is my mid-shaft to ends one and it is perfect. I'm still curious as to which one will be the best for my crown/scalp area, as I have been using the Cucumber Aloe for that area but wonder if the Tea Tree formula would work better considering I have a very dry scalp and the Cucumber can actually be rather astringent at times. But anyway, I still consider the Sweet Almond Mint to be my favorite of the ones of the cleansing conditioners I've tried, the others being of course the Cucumber Aloe and the Lavender, the lavender I did not like at all. The sweet almond mint fragrance is amazing for one and for another, the formula is a perfect consistency for my hair type and density, neither being creamy without being heavy. One thing everyone should know with this product, as with all cleansing conditioners, is that the formulas NEVER lather, which makes it better for your hair, as there is no stripping involved in the washing process, which is good for everyone but especially for those with color-treated or chemically processed tresses. Awesome product. Can't put into words how much I love this and this brand in general. Reviews will come for the styling creme, replenishing mist (fave Wen product) and the Remoist deep conditioner!

on 2/7/2012 7:37:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I recently bought the 30 supply of the sweet almond mint cleansing conditioner, and sent it back after just two uses. I hate this stuff! The first time I used it my hair was shiny, clean, and had more body than it has had in a long time. But after about two hours my hair looked like a grease pit. The second time I used it my hair felt dry and brittle and had a very waxy texture to it. Not good. I would not recommend buying this at all.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I honestly did not notice much of a difference with this product. I was hoping it would repair the damage my hair has from coloring but I was disappointed. I do not wash my hair daily as it is very very dry and is prone to breakage since it is also very fine. Well the first few times I used it I noticed my hair was not just breaking but falling out, plus my hair ended up oily and weighed down even though I made a point to rinse it and re-rinse it. I will not repurchase, I'm going back to Pantene which never fails. Considering putting the huge, expensive bottle I bought up for swap.

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

What a load of BS! You can simply use a SULFATE FREE shampoo and get your scalp clean & remove styling product buildup without the OUTRAGEOUS COST of this crap. You can go to Whole Foods and buy excellent sulfate free shampoos for a *fraction* of Wen's price.

Also, I know loads of women to co-wash only, with regular old conditioner, and they seem to do just fine without paying the exorbitant prices that Chaz Dean wants you to pay. They DO have to clarify every once in a while.

I used this stuff a long time ago but never had time to write a review, but this morning I started watching their infomercial and became really angry at all the BS. IME, my hair was left coated (and it LOOKED it) & dry feeling. I kept up with it, believing that I just had to get used to using the product. Well, an entire bottle and $$$$ later, I had an awful, itchy scalp, and nasty looking hair. Never again.

on 10/25/2009 9:12:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

after watching hours of late night TV finally i was sucked in to buying Wen .. and i must say im glad i did .... it really works for me
ADVANTAGES: - adds oils to you hair and its totally natural
- makes it heaps more smoother, i have really curly frizzy hair and it makes it really managable to style.
- it adds of volume to the hair
- your hair really shines and looks 100X healthier .. its amazing !!
DISADVANTAGES: - if you havnt got dry hair ... it will make your hair oily. i tried it on my mother, who has oily hair and it made her scalp and hair really oily.
- if u have alot of volume already .. it might make it harder to flatten hair when styling.
- you have to use alot of the product .. up to 24 PUMPS or something like that. this may become really expensive as you will run out of it easily

But above all .. would i buy it again? ... DEFINATLEY.. its the best thing i've used for my hair and the fact that its natural makes you feel like you're serioulsy doing something good for your hair

on 10/13/2008 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I've been using WEN Almond Fig for about 6 months now - first started with the infomercial web site and then found out that it was less expensive to order through QVC. I also found out that I only need to purchase the styling cream and use that for both cleaning and conditioning. I have super thick, course, curly blonde hair that I color. I have shoulder-length hair and only need to use 5 pumps and then I use one pump as a leave-in conditioner. I love this way of cleansing your hair. My hair color has lasted longer and my hair is not as dry. I will continue to use as this is the best I have found for my hair.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Had a tummy ache late one night so flipped on the tube about 4am - to this infomercial. I am always on the lookout for the greatest thing for thick crazy dry hair, so I thought I would try it. Here's the verdict:
It does not lather. After reading MUA, I thought my hair would feel "dirty" after using since no suds action, but I am pleasantly surprised. My hair feels cleaner and has stayed "fresher" more so even than normal. I also love the way it feels - so soft and I have had to do no styling at all - I just kinda shake and go. If I took some time I think it would probably really look sleek and smooth. It definitely has cut WAY down on the frizz. It does take a LOT of product - so, this stuff ends up being expensive to use .. but it is good - for MY hair - and I will repurchase. I don't think this would necessarily work for everyone - if hair is oily, prob would not work, or if you are obsessed with lather, you wouldn't like this.

on 7/30/2008 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I can really see how this product would be good for people with coarse, dry and/or curly hair, or hair that is heavily highlighted or chemically damaged. For me however, I have fine med. length hair in fairly good condition. My hair never felt clean using this and the more I used it, the more limp and lifeless my hair became. It eventually made my scalp itch A LOT and my hair seemed to start shedding more. That was it for me, in the bin it went.

Video Reviews & Tutorials