Wen by Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

3.4

Not tested on animals

on 1/3/2017 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So much of my hair fell out due to this product. I have stopped using it and my hair continues to fall out at an alarming rate. I searched the internet and this seems to be common. There is a lawsuit against Wen at this time. Wish I would have known.

on 8/26/2014 7:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Ugh! Okay, folks, don't rate WEN low because the distributor of the product keeps sending you WEN! Here's the deal: there are three ways to get WEN: 1) Chaz Dean's personal salon website (or walk into his salon in Beverly Hills). This is safe. Anything you buy is a one time shipment. 2) QVC. This is safe. Anything you buy is a one time shipment (unless clearly specified as a three month shipment, etc.). 3) Sephora. This is safe. 4) Gunther-Renky (sp?). They are NOT safe. They are the people doing the infomercials you see on tv. Unbeknownst to most people, you are joining a "club" with authomatic monthly shipments that are very expensive. It is very hard to get them to discontinue your membership. Be very careful.

Anyway, I use WEN and do like it. I only buy from QVC. It is very expensive. The key is finding the right formula for your hair, using enough product to properly cleanse your hair, and making sure you rinse it all out.

on 7/5/2014 7:24:00 PM

Overall, I'm really happy with Wen and its become my go to shampoo/conditioner. For reference, I have long, fine hair with a slight wave and my scalp is prone to dermatitis.

Things I like:
- Every other shampoo or conditioner I've tried, salon brand or otherwise, has left me needing to wash my hair every 1-2 days so my scalp doesn't itch and bleed and my hair doesn't look a mess. With Wen, I can go for 4-5 days between washes by brushing my hair and adding a little gloss to the ends.
- My scalp is the best its ever been and people have commented on how nice my hair looks.
- The smell is lovely.
- The price is steep, but I found I need nothing like what the package tells me to use. I have layered waist length fine hair, and a lot of it. I use 1-2 pumps to shampoo, 2-3 pumps for a second shampoo massage worked through to the ends, then 1 small pump for a leave in conditioner.
- I didn't have any bother at all cancelling my membership and ordering products individually off the website as needed.

What I don't like:
- I am getting a few scalp pimples.
- My hair does look slightly nicer when my hairdresser washes it with salon volumising shampoo and conditioner.

So in summary, there are a few negatives with Wen, but given its completely cleared my scalp problems up and leaves my hair looking very nice, its definitely become my HG shampoo/conditioner. In my case the positives outweigh the negatives.

PS - As for styling with the Wen conditioner left in, I find blow drying gives my hair a very, very straight effect. Its nice enough, but my favourite effect with Wen is obtained by chucking damp hair in a sock bun and having sock bun hair day one, then curly/wavy hair day two, then sleeping with my hair in a loose bun days three plus to preserve a curl/wave.

on 5/16/2014 6:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I have oily and greasy hair and so I have to wash my hair everyday. I tried salon & drugstore shampoos & conditioners and still. Well I got this as a gift 5 months ago and decided to try it today. Like it says, it doesn't lather so I was really worried since I already have greasy hair. I massaged it in and rinsed then did a second cleanse and left it in during the rest of my shower then rinsed in the end. I put it in a towel while I did my makeup. My hair was hard to comb through but after drying it with a blow dryer my hair looked better than it normally did. Considering the comments above, I may just use it 1-2x a week.

on 4/18/2014 12:55:00 AM

I have been using Wen for a year now, and I will not reorder after my last bottle is gone. I have had good days and bad days with this product. Some days my hair is very soft and manageable, and some days it is a greasy mess. However, EVERY day my hair is limp and lifeless. Even with a root lifter and an Instyler my hair is flat. Another thing is, I originally purchased Wen because of the infomercial where the 2 girls get their hair dyed red, and the one who washed with Wen had no color bleeding or fading. I love to have red hair and I thought it would be worth the money if this worked. NOPE! My hair color washed out immediately. I was so pissed. As far as packaging goes, I had several pumps that didn't work and I had to squeeze the product from the bottle. I also seemed to have a lot of hair come out at least a few times a week. I gave this product a good chance since I stuck with it for a year, but I'm done.

on 3/15/2014 12:23:00 PM

Worst thing out there. Gave me bumps on my scalp. List hair while using thus. you should check out the Youtube videos on thinning hair from Wen-I was shocked at how common this was for others.
Made my hair look greasy and like I did not wash it. Two of my friends ordered it and hated it too. Big word of caution never ever order on their auto ship program. The company will not cancel your order and customer service hangs up on you. The worst customer service I have ever dealt with. Both my friend and I had to cancel our credit cards to stop getting them from sending products to us on auto ship and then thy kept sending letters for months to tell us our kit was ready to ship and send ament when we cancelled it.
The left over product I'd work as a good dog shampoo for my friends dog.

on 12/6/2013 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Yick. I can't stand the minty smell - and even the other fragrances seem to have a minty note.
Blech!

on 10/1/2013 3:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I bought this off an infomercial. I loved it for about 4 days then the next day the roots of my hair started looking greasy. I rinsed extra long and used NONE of this on the roots but still had to run out and buy my good old L'Oreal EverPure shampoo for colored hair. Now I use the EverPure shampoo and use this Wen for the conditioner. It's just okay. I was very disappointed. My hair is long, colored cherry black, fine, but have LOTS of it.

on 9/18/2013 4:32:00 PM

Ok, this will be a unique review, I apologize in advance for the length of it, but I feel it's important info to know. I fell for advertising and purchased through the Gunthy Renker website.

I LOVE it. I have fine, coarse, super frizzy hair that is extremely hard to manage. After many tries, I finally figured out the number of pumps that work for me. It comes out easy and I don't mind the fact that it does not lather. My hair feels smooth and clean when I get out of the shower.

Fast forward to my running out. I purchased at Sephora the small bottle, since online and stores were sold out of the regular size. I used that up quickly and it was time for another refill. Sephora was again sold out, so I tried eBay and found it there. I placed the order and when it came, I noticed the label was different, but didn't think anything of it. I used in the shower, and the consistency was different and when I got out of the shower, I thought I had purchased a knock off because my hair was brittle and felt like straw, so contacted the seller asap. She informed me it was authentic and purchased from QVC. I went to the QVC website and compared the one she sent me with the one on the QVC website and she was right, they matched. I ALSO compared it to wenhaircare.com and saw it WAS DIFFERENT. I live in Los Angeles, near the Chaz Dean Studio, so I thought I would contact them and see what was up. Here is their response:

***"Thank you for contacting us. You may have purchased a Cleansing Conditioner from QVC or the Chaz Dean Studio and another from Guthy Renker. Guthy Renker carries a slightly different version of WEN than our website www.chazdean.com or QVC. They are both WEN products and are both created by Chaz Dean. Because of regulations on products sold internationally, the ingredient's through Guthy Renker have had to be changed slightly. Chaz worked very hard to make sure that the quality and philosophy behind WEN is still upheld, and that product performance would be identical.
As far as Knock off WEN products out there, unfortunately that does occur. The only way to ensure that you receive official WEN products is to only purchase
them through our website www.chazdean.com, the Guthy Renker website www.wenhaircare.com, www.sephora.com or through QVC or www.qvc.com.***"

*I* recommend the one from wenhaircare.com or sephora.com - that is the one that works for me. But you might want to try both and see what works for you. With all of the mixed reviews, I am wondering if this is the case with a lot of people who have ordered it. Had I not ordered from 2 locations, I would have never known.

Now to the downside...this stuff ends up being expensive :( The bottles themselves aren't too bad, but because you have to use so much, you go through it quite quickly. I have used 3 bottles in 2 months...I really love it. I don't want to repurchase, but I get random compliments on how nice my hair looks....which has NEVER happened before in my life. Argh. I can just step out of the shower, comb and go and let air dry....no fuzz, my hair is unbelievably soft and smooth. I really didn't want to like it, but I am hooked.

Good luck and I hope one of them works for you :)

I've read some reviews about this product making hair fall out, has anyone experienced this? I need feedback on this..

The last thing I need is my hair falling out as I have curly fine hair. I used this product for the first time yesterday before I read the reviews about hair thinning with repeated use of this cleanser, but my hair felt really soft and bouncy so, not bad. I find a little goes a long way on my hair, everyone says to use a lot, I used a few pumps and it did fine, you have to rinse really good. I love the Replenishing Treatment Mist and the deep conditioner that it came with, I think I will alternate with my Organix shampoo and see how it goes.