Wen by Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

3.1

Not tested on animals

on 10/18/2017 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

This is my HG shampoo/conditioner. I have very baby fine thin pin straight hair. My whole life I had to use a thick conditioner after shampooing or I just might as well have buzzed all my hair off because a brush would not go through it if not conditioned. I forgot conditioner a few times or just ran low and it would take me HOURS to get it brushed out and an unnerving amount of hair would come out too. My mom had some of this a few years ago and i decided to try it. First of all the recommended amount is way to much. My hair was down to my waist and they wanted you to use like 17 pumps or something crazy. For 40 bucks a bottle I wasn't going there. So I came up with a method. Two pumps in it hand , get on finger then apply to root of hair. Took about 4-5 pumps to cover my scalp. Then I used my finger nails and scrubbed the crap outta my scalp. Then I would work the rest of the product through to the ends and rinse. Perfectly clean every time. With regular shampoo and conditioner my hair would need to be washed every other day at best. Usually every day. I was losing a lot of hair with the old method and it took forever to grow out. Usually when my hair gets down past it shoulder blades it can start looking a bit ratty. My hair grew so much faster using WEN and only washing it every 3-4 days. It's amazing after you rinse this out of your hair and it's not snarly or hard to get a brush through. I used up my last bottle (had three spares) but my other bottles were still packed from a move and I ended up using my daughter shampoo / conditioner. That only reaffirmed why I love WEN. My hair was a wreck after three days of the old method. I braved the stack of boxes and dug my WEN out. A regular bottle of this stuff will last me like 8 months because I use the product sparingly and only have to wash my hair twice a week.

I had ordered from Renker. They were doing some kind of special for new customers bogo. Then every three months they would auto ship. My Bottle was lasting a lot longer than expected so I called to cancel. Gotta love sales people. From how she was talking I could tell she was going through the "don't let them canc unless you absolutely have to" checklist with me. I let her do her speil and every time she was finished with one I would just repeat that I wanted to cancel. She was NOT having it. Ok so this is the secret to getting them to comply. Tell them if your not able to cancel then to put you on with someone that is. That usually lets the helium out of their balloon ;-). They cancelled me after that and I have had no problems.

Note: I was a faithful herbal essences user until I was 32. I have to admit that I really miss taking my hair down from having it up all day and that lovely scent of that shampoo filling my nostrils. People forever telling me my hair smelled good. I'd rather much have long beautiful hair that is healthy versus compliments. That's the only thing lacking with WEN. That all day smell that just lingers fruity deliciousness.

on 3/13/2017 3:36:00 PM

Very mediocre product. I have quite thick hair, so had to use LOADS of product to get a decent result. For the price, this is just unsustainable.
A pro is that I don't have to wash my hair as much.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This GARBAGE MADE MY HAIR FALL OUT!!!!!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I got a 16 oz bottle from a family friend, and I was not impressed. I don't get it, it didnt do anything for my dry and coarse hair, but the family friend had raved about it for her hair. Maybe it just works for certain people and not for others? I used this as directed for over a week, and I didn't see any change at all really. It didnt hurt my hair, but it didnt help it either- and for the money I wouldn't notice the difference so why fork out that kind of cash? 16 pumps per shower and $32 a bottle? No thanks! I will stick to my normal moisturizing shampoos and conditioners from Matrix Smooth, Loreal professional line (light yellow one) or Joico moisture recovery. This just wasn't for me.

on 5/7/2015 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I was SO dissatisfied with this "shampoo"! It was terrible. It made my fine, straight hair look oily and lifeless! And it DID NOT matter how much I used (I tried it all, a little or a lot) and every time it looked worse than the time before. The smell was great, but that is the only good thing about it. Otherwise, it was awful! You know when you take a shower, and you accidently use the conditioner twice rather than the shampoo followed by the conditioner and you can't figure out why your hair looks so terrible for the rest of the day? That is Wen in a nutshell. Very displeased.

Worst product ever! I regret using it! One use and too much hair fall. I dumped it out so no one would be possibly tempted to use it since it's garbage. Thankfully it seemed to subside, the hair loss. I won't use it ever. I heard bad things but I thought, there are bad reviews on lots of products, correlation doesn't mean causation, but this is utter garbage. It apparently works for some people, but not all, and it's not worth trying it to me. I'm happier with Purely Perfect Cleansing Cream.

on 12/24/2014 10:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've read through some comments below out of curiosity. Many people say it makes hair look dirty etc. even if they use less product. Well that is the mistake. You MUST use lots of product or it will not clean your hair! It is expensive, I have long hair and if I use this everyday it will not last a month. But I don't wash everyday. Before trying this, I tried a similar cleansing conditioner from Target. It was ok but never got my hair clean feeling and was harder to spread then wen. Wen gets my hair feeling clean and soft. I use half the recomended amount first and then the rest after washing it out, works for me. I have fragile hair that is prone to frizz, dry ends and scalp so this is good for me.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I definitely urge people to do their research before falling for the hype! I have been using this for 3 weeks now, and I am pretty sure it's a waste of money :( My hair feels nice and fluffy and clean on day 1, but the flyaways are horrendous. It looks like all my hairs are breaking off... Not sure if that's the case? I have mid-back length, fine hair and a lot of it, and after a day it looks oily and in need of a wash again, with a waxy feel. Brushing is difficult after the 1st day and I don't think this conditions my mid lengths and ends as well as it claims. There is no shine to my hair using this vs normal conditioner, and I noticed this morning that my scalp is a bit flaky. Overall, considering the price and how much of the product you are meant to use each time, there is no way this would last me a month, and I won't be repurchasing. Smells good though :)

on 8/3/2014 5:31:00 PM

I was really excited to try this, & liked it when I very first got it-just like the commercial said, after just one use my hair looked different. My friends even noticed & my boyfriend did as well, my hair seemed shinier, & was bouncy & soft. After a couple days though, there was some issues. I have oily hair as it is, as well as issues with my scalp-not all scalp issues are due to dry scalp, actually many people have issues because their scalp is over oily. I'm one of those people. So anyway, after maybe about 3 days of using it, I noticed that my scalp was not only very itchy, but also my hair despite appearing clean smelled dirty-like for me when my hair is dirty I get this oily odor. What was happening was it just wasn't getting rid enough excess oil, which I know is the whole point of it, but in my case it just makes my scalp even worse. It also didn't seem to be doing anything to really slough off any of the dead skin already on my scalp, which caused it to build up & itch. I know Wen comes in different varieties now & am curious as to if any of them would work better for my type of hair & scalp, but it's kind of expensive for me to give it another try, plus there's so many different varieties now I wouldn't even know where to begin (I know the commercial says you can send it back, but often times it's not as easy as they make it out to be). I think this is probably a good product for some, but it just wasn't right for me, at least not the original one (or sweet almond mint).

on 2/13/2014 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Ok, to be fair, I used Wen for 6 months so by now I believe I've used it long enough to give a pretty accurate assessment of how this product worked for me. In one word; awful!!! I guess I was one of those who fell for the hype but this did absolutely NOTHING for my hair except make it an extremely oily, matted,flat and weighed down mess. As if that wasn't bad enough, it always felt and looked dirty, gross and very dull. And no, I'm not using it incorrectly. I tried all the suggestions mentioned by the manufacturer, by friends who use it and my own experimentation but no matter what I did, I always got the same results. My normal hair texture is dry and I really didn't produce much oil in the first place so all the greasy residue was due to this cleanser. It was so bad that I always look like I haven't taken a shower in weeks.

My hair is medium length and I first tried the 16-24 pumps recommended for the lenght. That proved to be too much so I decreased it to 10-15 pumps, even going as low as below 10 pumps. The result was always the same. Of course with the less than the recommended amount, my hair and especially my scalp, felt even dirtier but here's the kicker...no matter what I tried, it always felt as if it's coated with wax even though I thoroughly scrubbed my scalp with it. After 4 months of use I started noticing very itchy scalp, some flaking and more hair fall. Yet, I stuck with it thinking it was just my scalp adjusting. On month 6 I noticed even more hair fall even on days I don't wash my hair. This hardly happened to my hair prior to using this. My stylist even commented on the condition of my hair and how it felt coated. I decided then I was going to stop using it and look for alternatives.

I'm now using another brand of no sulfate shampoo and by gosh, the difference is HUGE. Almost overnight, no more itchy scalp and most importantly no more weighed down flat matted oily hair. I have yet to grow the hairs I lost back but hopefully in time it will. I now use this product to shave my legs with. I think overall it's an over hyped and expensive product. I have gotten better results from sulfate free shampoos that are 4 times cheaper. The 1 lippie is for the scent only which is pretty nice.

Video Reviews & Tutorials