MAC Satin - Soba

MAC Satin - Soba
MAC Soba Eyeshadow

4.5

Love the subtle gold shimmers in the eyeshadow, it adds something extra to this otherwise matte eyeshadow while still looking very natural on the eyes. However, I'm not sure if i got a dud or what, the pigmentation is very very very sheer. This is my 2nd mac eyeshadow, so I am alttle thrown off by the quality of it, especially since it's MAC.

However, I will definitely repurchasing again! The colour is too pretty to not to!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Many years ago, I was all set to purchase Soba at a MAC store when the SA said "It's VERY yellow, you know?" in a not very encouraging tone of voice, and that alone put me off purchasing it for some reason. Fast forward to 2016, when MAC dropped its prices on the Pro Pan eye shadows (my preferred form in any case) and I figured I would pick this up because it seemed like it might be a great blending out shade...on the warmer side but not too warm (orange shades like Makeup Geek Peach Smoothie or Creme Brulee do not look good on me). I am really happy I have Soba. Even when I am not wearing anything more than Painterly Paint Pot or a flesh toned eyeshadow to even out the colour of my lids, Soba brushed into the crease with a MAC 224 brush or the Sonia Kashuk crease brush I've had forever helps me give a bit of definition and contour to my eyes while remaining virtually undetectable as "makeup". It makes for a great blending/transition shade between what I might be using to define my crease and the area just above and the naturally very light colour of my brow bone either with or without a highlight shade. "Very yellow" or not, it is a great, unassuming but versatile eyeshadow to have and it has actually become one of my most used eyeshadows because of that versatility.

on 10/21/2016 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

A good everyday shade that is perfect for work or for looking pulled together. It doesn't emphasize any redness from lack of sleep and I like to blend it with darker shades. It should be a part of a basic eye palette.

on 6/24/2016 12:39:00 AM

Would I repurchase? A resounding yes! MAC Soba is my lids but better eyeshadow LOL. It goes a soft brown on me without looking chalky and blends like a dream. I sport is all over my Asian hooded lids with eyeliner or in the crease with Patina or Ricepaper. My favorite eyeshadow from MAC and I still haven't discovered all the ways to play with it yet!

on 5/7/2016 6:35:00 PM

USD$16. On my C2/NC20 skin, this looks like a very natural, medium-toned grayish brown. Although there's little flecks of shimmer in the color, the end result is no shimmer or shine at all. From a makeup artist's recommendation, I use it to contour my lids for depth and to add a little shadowing around the bridge of my nose. It look so natural - better than any of the other contouring products out there for eyes/nose. It goes on very sheer, so you can layer and layer it without looking heavy or unnatural.

on 11/24/2015 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

Soba is a beautiful caramel colour which complements my brown eyes. I find that I can wear this one on its own or blended with other colours such as Cork or Saddle in the crease. As a Satin, I find it works well on my mature lids. It's subtle but buildable with no fallout. I find it pigmented and wonderfully buttery. I would call it a sophisticated colour, which I find lasts well with a lid primer. I'm very happy to have this colour in my palette and use it regularly.

on 9/28/2015 10:44:00 AM

I bought this per the recommendation of a MAC artist who I chatted with on their site. I was looking for a peanut butter color, and this one absolutely isn't peanut butter (soft brown would have been a much better recommendation), but it is unique and pretty. It is a satin but it isn't super shimmery, it has more of a glow and to my eye, it is a brownish olive color. I like to pair it with blanc type--blanc type all over, then soba in the crease, for a more natural look. This is not a very pigmented shadow, which is frustrating. I have to dip into the shadow about 5 times to get the look I want, so it's definitely not a shadow I use when I'm pressed for time. Makeup Geek's preppy is similar in color but it has more olive, matte and better pigmentation.

on 7/27/2015 10:05:00 AM

After patina, soba is my next choice. It is divine. Adds depth and vibrance to eyes.

on 12/13/2014 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I have over 60 mac eyeshadows, this one is my hoily grail. Because with only using that I shadow,

1- I can create a daily look when I applied it to all over my lid and crease. ( especially it looks so sexy soft baby pink lips)
2- If I add a crease color like wedge, texture or brown script, I can create sexy day time look.
3- With black cat eyeliner only on top, I can pair with red or bordeaux lipstick.
4-With black gel liner both top of my eye and waterline, I can create sexy arabic look.(dont forget to apply liner/gel between your bottom lashes and smudged it)
5- If you apply soft black pencil which has shimmers on your lash line and smudged it you create the most beautiful effortless smokey eye. ( Of course dont forget your crease color. Also you can umph this effortless smokey eye with a little gel liner).

on 9/6/2014 8:34:00 AM

I love this shadow. I would not have picked it out, based on it's mustardy color in the tube, but for other reviews. It goes on beautifully. Depending on how much I apply, it ranges from a neutral "my eyelids only better" to a dramatic warm color.