Biologique Recherche Masque Vivant

Biologique Recherche Masque Vivant
Masque Vivant

3.9

Yeast Extract (Faex Extract), Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Bentonite, Kaolin, Alcohol Denat, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Glycerin, Vinegar, Lactic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana Bark/Leaf/Twig Extract, Hypericum Perforatum Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Acacida Senegal Gum, Xanthan Gum.

on 11/28/2017 10:24:00 PM

OK I don't really get the dramatic complaints about the smell - probably because I have baked bread numerous times so I know this just smells like YEAST. It's YEAST. That's it. Calm downnn. You probably eat it every day. At first I even thought it smelled chocolate-y. And it looks chocolate-y. So just pretend it's yeasty chocolate, OK? Kind of like molasses or something. Or like a chocolate croissant. Yeah...better.

I was not expecting a lot from this but I slapped it on (for longer than recommended, if I am being honest - like maybe an hour or two while I was doing stuff around the house - but I had a tiny sample so I wanted to get the most out of it.) I was in the middle of a breakout and when I washed this off the redness was at least 80% reduced. That is insane. Even my Retin-A, CE Ferulic, and Jan Marini BioClear doesn't work that fast. And not only that but my skin continued to look glowy and poreless the next day and I even noticed my undereye wrinkles (or the beginning of wrinkles, at least) looked a lot better. So I'm sold. This may have impressed me even more than P50. I think if I had to choose one of the two I mighttt even go with this one because it is less irritating but still exfoliates and brightens. Plus it's probably a better bang for your buck. I used my tiny little sample tube once all over, and then twice on spots. And I was generous. I still probably have a bit left even.

I would give it 4 stars instead of 5 because it is still just a mask/treatment so not necessarily an everyday thing. I still don't know what that means for its effects in the long term. We'll see how it goes with twice a week use.

on 11/19/2017 12:23:00 AM

This masque is a game changer and I have repurchased it several times. If you combine with a little baking soda it works even better. I cut the packaging open when it gets near the end so I don't waste any but this stuff will make your skin glow. Its amazing and by far my favorite. I order my products from either Rescue Spa or Vicki Morav but Vicki Morav is my favorite now because she sends a ton of samples with your order which I appreciate since the stuff is so expensive. When I buy from rescue Spa they maybe send two samples which is insulting when you spend 300 bucks on a face cream. So Vicki Morav is my go to place now.

on 8/19/2016 3:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the BEST spot treatment forever and ever! While it is also amazing as a mask, it is unbelievably effective if you leave it on a cystic bump over the night. I try to spare and not use it as a mask cause it's so expensive and hard to get. You can actually quit squeezing now and just put this on to get over with -anything that's about to come to surface- in just 2 nights. Miracle product, well done BR.

on 8/5/2016 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Not for my skin type (sensitive).

I received this as a sample in a recent Vicki Morav order (I ordered the Lait U cleanser).

It smells like Vegemite but that kind of thing doesn't bother me if the results deliver.

My results: Dry, irritated skin with a couple of random raised bumps (one on my left cheek, one by my nose).

However, there are some amazing reviews for this product - so it can go either way depending on your skin type.

Definitely try a sample first before committing to a full size purchase.

on 3/23/2016 9:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Abstract - This mask is the Rachmaninoff of masks. Plain, sad, reeking of failed crops in a post-Feudal society, and then it sneaks up on you and messes with your emotions until it's on repeat on your skincare playlist. Is it worth the confusion? Yes, it is. It is a thing of smelly beauty.

Full Review - I tried Masque Vivant because Lotion P50 is my high-quality skincare heroine (the beautiful princess protagonist, AND the drug!). I read everything I could about its effectiveness and offensive odor, and I was prepared. Honestly, all that reading made me think it would smell like the remnants of a mass lemming suicide, but to me, it smells like Marmite/Vegemite. It is yeasty in the way of bread-baking yeast or fermenting beer yeast, a "warm" sort of yeasty. It it not yeasty in a "sour" sort of yeast like a dog's ear infection. It's doable. It does get a bit stenchier as it's rinsed away, but it does not make me gag, and I have one heck of a gag reflex.

The effect I see from twice-weekly use is really, really great. The clay content works as any clay mask does, drawing some gunk to the surface and generally helping to unclog pores and smooth the skin. It's not remarkable in that particular category, as clay works like clay. However, the other ingredients, which I attribute mostly to the yeast, sets this mask apart. I leave it on for twenty minutes after applying Lotion P50 1970 as recommended. I tried the pinch of baking soda one time, but as I saw no discernible difference, I haven't tried that again. The masque does not tighten as clay masks typically do. Instead, it becomes stickier in a way. It's pretty easy to rinse off, though I have to "sweep" my fingers over my skin to make sure the residue is gone. Afterwards, my skin has a slightly alkaline feel, and when I look in the mirror, I immediately see a reduction of redness from old acne scars and remaining spots, as if the mask sucked the pigment from those areas. It's weird and highly satisfying. Next morning, my skin is baby soft.

Now for the price...the tube is six ounces, and I purchase from Rescue Spa for $60. It's a high price. There's no getting around that. This is a luxury product. However, I like to break this down further in a sad attempt to justify purchasing, even though the results mean I will re-purchase no matter what. So far, my six ounce tube remains about two-thirds full after eight uses. I actually think there's much more in there, but tubes tend to hoard product in the corners and at the base of the neck, so I won't know for sure until it's almost gone and I cut it open to scrape that crud out like the gold it is. When I conservatively estimate, it should yield more than twenty-four uses, which breaks down to about $2.50 per use. To me, the results are absolutely worth this, and I do think I will get more than twenty-four uses in the end. I will update with more accurate figures when my tube is gone.

on 2/23/2016 8:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

After reading reviews about Biologique Recherche's P50 toner a few weeks ago, I bought it along with this mask. While I think the P50 is definitely HG status, I'm still on the fence about this mask. The only reason I bought it was because a review I read quoted a spa worker that said using this mask twice a week will stop all signs of aging. Yeah, that's a silly remark to be swayed by but sometimes I'm a sucker.

I used Masque Vivant the day after I received it straight from the bottle. There's an option to mix it with baking soda but meh, not interested in doing that. First, the smell is kind of gross but not horrific or vomit inducing to me. It smells like funky yeast (some people say it smells like Vegemite) to me and isn't great which isn't something I necessarily want on my face. I also found that yes, you can still smell this on your face the next day. The smell seemed to disappear after I washed my face but yeah, there was still a funky yeast smell the next day! This mask is also the color of poo. A weird brown, gel like poo. After applying this per the directions (after cleansing and applying P50), I rinsed it off after about 20 minutes. While it was easy to wash it off, I didn't notice a whole lot of difference. It didn't pull out any of blackheads on my nose or anything (apparently mixing this with baking soda will help with that) and thankfully, my face didn't smell like funky yeast. I honestly didn't even notice a difference the next day or the next week. I've used this mask a few more times since, but really can't bring myself to use it twice a week because it takes a fair amount to cover my entire face and this, like all of Biologique Recherche's products, is crazy expensive. I've since adapted a different routine. I cleanse before using this but don't apply P50. I feel like applying that and then using the mask only to rinse it off wastes the P50, so I apply it after. I also allow the mask to dry completely. I've found this method helps to dry up any acne I may have much quicker and the results are a more noticeable.

After using this for the past couple of weeks (when I remember that is), I've noticed that my skin is much clearer and bright. I think that may be the result of the P50 but perhaps this mask is helping. I wouldn't say that the march of time has passed by my face like the spa lady said, but I am enjoying the clarity my skin now has. While I did rate this 4 lippies, I'm still unsure about its effectiveness or whether this is a much needed, HG product. I feel like acid peels or exfoliation give better results than masks for me anyway. The price (about $60 for 3.4 fl. ounces) is also a bit hard to deal with. If you're dying to try this, I recommend getting a sample if possible.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Purchased this after a consultant told me to use this while using the P50 toner that had made me break out horribly. First off, everyone said the smell was bad and I was mentally prepared for it to smell like soy sauce/peanut butter/yeast/poop I mean I read so many reviews/blogs on this product that I thought I was prepared. No, I was not prepared. The smell was awful. Even worse when you go to take it off with a warm wash cloth (had to throw away the wash cloth)

The smell however was only the beginning of this getting a bad review. This did nothing for my skin, it made it dry and it certainly does not live up to its $65 price tag. I recently used the Rare Earth Pore Minimizing Masque by kiehls and have seen amazing results in comparison and it was only a third of the cost for almost double the product.

I don't see what the hype is with this product or line to be honest. Nothing special in my eyes.

on 12/24/2015 9:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This mask is God's gift to humanity :)

on 11/5/2015 4:26:00 PM

This stuff is AMAZING. I recently went to the BR Institute in Paris for a facial and product recommendations. I'm 28 years old and have been battling with awful cystic, hormonal acne ever since I stopped taking the pill four years ago. I've tried EVERYTHING and spent obscene amounts of money on products, so I figured, what the hell. This mask has been the star performer in clearing up my skin. I was also recommended to use the P50W toner (I never knew I had sensitive skin...), along with Creme Dermopurifiante, and both have also helped my skin. I'm back to that "glow" I never thought I would see again. I know the price is killer when you bundle it with all the products, but I have to say, I've never felt more satisfied or better about spending that kind of money. IT WORKS. Sure, the smell is putrid, but when you've tried EVERYTHING else on the market like me, you're desperate to find something that works. You will not regret this purchase! Just breathe through your mouth- or better yet, find a way to embrace "le stench."

on 9/8/2015 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I tried this for the first time two days ago.

First, yes, yes the smell, it actually does smell like bread yeast and soy sauce to me. I agree with the poster who said it smells like bbq. Not going to lie... wearing this mask actually made me a little hungry. It seems like this because of the "live" yeast in the product. I didn't really find it bothersome, but it does "stay on the skin" I smelled it even after I washed my face, and I could still smell it's lingering scent the next day. I assume that means the yeast is still alive and working on the skin.

I only have a couple of samples of this product, so I am going to finish them first before really reviewing this, but I wanted to go ahead and write something now so I can follow up later. I am always weary of trying new products since I breakout so easily. I've got complicated skin. It's oily, dehydrated, acne prone, and clog prone.

After one use, I noticed the stubborn tiny clogs around my nose and chin (that no one sees but me) decrease by half. Really quite a surprise. I am going to use up my samples before singing it's praises but If this works out in the long run I'll be pretty happy.

It's price is $64 on Vicki Morav for 3.4oz (to compare glamglo is $69 for 1.2oz).