Biologique Recherche Masque Vivant

3.9

Yeast Extract (Faex Extract), Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Bentonite, Kaolin, Alcohol Denat, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Glycerin, Vinegar, Lactic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana Bark/Leaf/Twig Extract, Hypericum Perforatum Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Acacida Senegal Gum, Xanthan Gum.

on 3/23/2016 9:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Abstract - This mask is the Rachmaninoff of masks. Plain, sad, reeking of failed crops in a post-Feudal society, and then it sneaks up on you and messes with your emotions until it's on repeat on your skincare playlist. Is it worth the confusion? Yes, it is. It is a thing of smelly beauty.

Full Review - I tried Masque Vivant because Lotion P50 is my high-quality skincare heroine (the beautiful princess protagonist, AND the drug!). I read everything I could about its effectiveness and offensive odor, and I was prepared. Honestly, all that reading made me think it would smell like the remnants of a mass lemming suicide, but to me, it smells like Marmite/Vegemite. It is yeasty in the way of bread-baking yeast or fermenting beer yeast, a "warm" sort of yeasty. It it not yeasty in a "sour" sort of yeast like a dog's ear infection. It's doable. It does get a bit stenchier as it's rinsed away, but it does not make me gag, and I have one heck of a gag reflex.

The effect I see from twice-weekly use is really, really great. The clay content works as any clay mask does, drawing some gunk to the surface and generally helping to unclog pores and smooth the skin. It's not remarkable in that particular category, as clay works like clay. However, the other ingredients, which I attribute mostly to the yeast, sets this mask apart. I leave it on for twenty minutes after applying Lotion P50 1970 as recommended. I tried the pinch of baking soda one time, but as I saw no discernible difference, I haven't tried that again. The masque does not tighten as clay masks typically do. Instead, it becomes stickier in a way. It's pretty easy to rinse off, though I have to "sweep" my fingers over my skin to make sure the residue is gone. Afterwards, my skin has a slightly alkaline feel, and when I look in the mirror, I immediately see a reduction of redness from old acne scars and remaining spots, as if the mask sucked the pigment from those areas. It's weird and highly satisfying. Next morning, my skin is baby soft.

Now for the price...the tube is six ounces, and I purchase from Rescue Spa for $60. It's a high price. There's no getting around that. This is a luxury product. However, I like to break this down further in a sad attempt to justify purchasing, even though the results mean I will re-purchase no matter what. So far, my six ounce tube remains about two-thirds full after eight uses. I actually think there's much more in there, but tubes tend to hoard product in the corners and at the base of the neck, so I won't know for sure until it's almost gone and I cut it open to scrape that crud out like the gold it is. When I conservatively estimate, it should yield more than twenty-four uses, which breaks down to about $2.50 per use. To me, the results are absolutely worth this, and I do think I will get more than twenty-four uses in the end. I will update with more accurate figures when my tube is gone.

on 2/23/2016 8:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

After reading reviews about Biologique Recherche's P50 toner a few weeks ago, I bought it along with this mask. While I think the P50 is definitely HG status, I'm still on the fence about this mask. The only reason I bought it was because a review I read quoted a spa worker that said using this mask twice a week will stop all signs of aging. Yeah, that's a silly remark to be swayed by but sometimes I'm a sucker.

I used Masque Vivant the day after I received it straight from the bottle. There's an option to mix it with baking soda but meh, not interested in doing that. First, the smell is kind of gross but not horrific or vomit inducing to me. It smells like funky yeast (some people say it smells like Vegemite) to me and isn't great which isn't something I necessarily want on my face. I also found that yes, you can still smell this on your face the next day. The smell seemed to disappear after I washed my face but yeah, there was still a funky yeast smell the next day! This mask is also the color of poo. A weird brown, gel like poo. After applying this per the directions (after cleansing and applying P50), I rinsed it off after about 20 minutes. While it was easy to wash it off, I didn't notice a whole lot of difference. It didn't pull out any of blackheads on my nose or anything (apparently mixing this with baking soda will help with that) and thankfully, my face didn't smell like funky yeast. I honestly didn't even notice a difference the next day or the next week. I've used this mask a few more times since, but really can't bring myself to use it twice a week because it takes a fair amount to cover my entire face and this, like all of Biologique Recherche's products, is crazy expensive. I've since adapted a different routine. I cleanse before using this but don't apply P50. I feel like applying that and then using the mask only to rinse it off wastes the P50, so I apply it after. I also allow the mask to dry completely. I've found this method helps to dry up any acne I may have much quicker and the results are a more noticeable.

After using this for the past couple of weeks (when I remember that is), I've noticed that my skin is much clearer and bright. I think that may be the result of the P50 but perhaps this mask is helping. I wouldn't say that the march of time has passed by my face like the spa lady said, but I am enjoying the clarity my skin now has. While I did rate this 4 lippies, I'm still unsure about its effectiveness or whether this is a much needed, HG product. I feel like acid peels or exfoliation give better results than masks for me anyway. The price (about $60 for 3.4 fl. ounces) is also a bit hard to deal with. If you're dying to try this, I recommend getting a sample if possible.

To Read all 23 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Purchased this after a consultant told me to use this while using the P50 toner that had made me break out horribly. First off, everyone said the smell was bad and I was mentally prepared for it to smell like soy sauce/peanut butter/yeast/poop I mean I read so many reviews/blogs on this product that I thought I was prepared. No, I was not prepared. The smell was awful. Even worse when you go to take it off with a warm wash cloth (had to throw away the wash cloth)

The smell however was only the beginning of this getting a bad review. This did nothing for my skin, it made it dry and it certainly does not live up to its $65 price tag. I recently used the Rare Earth Pore Minimizing Masque by kiehls and have seen amazing results in comparison and it was only a third of the cost for almost double the product.

I don't see what the hype is with this product or line to be honest. Nothing special in my eyes.

on 12/24/2015 9:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This mask is God's gift to humanity :)

on 11/5/2015 4:26:00 PM

This stuff is AMAZING. I recently went to the BR Institute in Paris for a facial and product recommendations. I'm 28 years old and have been battling with awful cystic, hormonal acne ever since I stopped taking the pill four years ago. I've tried EVERYTHING and spent obscene amounts of money on products, so I figured, what the hell. This mask has been the star performer in clearing up my skin. I was also recommended to use the P50W toner (I never knew I had sensitive skin...), along with Creme Dermopurifiante, and both have also helped my skin. I'm back to that "glow" I never thought I would see again. I know the price is killer when you bundle it with all the products, but I have to say, I've never felt more satisfied or better about spending that kind of money. IT WORKS. Sure, the smell is putrid, but when you've tried EVERYTHING else on the market like me, you're desperate to find something that works. You will not regret this purchase! Just breathe through your mouth- or better yet, find a way to embrace "le stench."

on 9/8/2015 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I tried this for the first time two days ago.

First, yes, yes the smell, it actually does smell like bread yeast and soy sauce to me. I agree with the poster who said it smells like bbq. Not going to lie... wearing this mask actually made me a little hungry. It seems like this because of the "live" yeast in the product. I didn't really find it bothersome, but it does "stay on the skin" I smelled it even after I washed my face, and I could still smell it's lingering scent the next day. I assume that means the yeast is still alive and working on the skin.

I only have a couple of samples of this product, so I am going to finish them first before really reviewing this, but I wanted to go ahead and write something now so I can follow up later. I am always weary of trying new products since I breakout so easily. I've got complicated skin. It's oily, dehydrated, acne prone, and clog prone.

After one use, I noticed the stubborn tiny clogs around my nose and chin (that no one sees but me) decrease by half. Really quite a surprise. I am going to use up my samples before singing it's praises but If this works out in the long run I'll be pretty happy.

It's price is $64 on Vicki Morav for 3.4oz (to compare glamglo is $69 for 1.2oz).

on 6/18/2015 2:08:00 PM

I have changed my mind so many times about this mask! It's almost embarrassing! I used to use it by first using P50 toner, then the mask with a pinch of baking soda and a drop of water. Using the mask this way is supposed to dissolve blackheads. Well, I no longer use P50 or baking soda, and it seems to be much better for my skin. No beet red cheeks, no darkening of my skin, and my skin doesn't get dehydrated from it. It looks glowy and fresh and oil production, at least for that day, is diminished greatly (I have pretty oily skin, so that's about the best I can hope for). I also make sure to keep it on for no more than 20 minutes. I wash it off in the shower because it's much too messy to wash off at the sink.

EDIT 11/28/15: OK, so it isn't almost embarrassing. I can't use this mask anymore, which is a shame because I have an unopened one. It just dries my skin out horribly. I used to think it helped calm the SD in my eyebrows, but it actually exacerbates it.

on 5/8/2015 10:28:00 AM

I am new to this product line but am so far very impressed. This masque is considered an essential part of the routine, especially for combination/oily skin. I have been using this about twice a week after cleansing and using the P50 toner. It does not look or smell nice. Once you can get past that, it really makes a difference in my skin...balancing it and making it clearer. I will update as the weather gets warmer and my skin gets more oily and congested.

on 3/4/2015 2:11:00 AM

I'm a HUGE BR fan, but I wasn't blown away by this mask. I added the baking soda and my Complex Iribiol serum to it. I dunno: my skin didn't look any better. In fact, it seemed quite dull. Maybe a few blackheads disappeared? But I almost think it made me break out. I much prefer GlamGlow's SuperMud Clearing Treatment to this mask when it comes to a clarifying, pore minimizing and purifying mask. Otherwise: all the other BR products I use are HG products for me.

on 2/1/2015 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this sometime around late last year (September 2014 or so?) along with P50 lotion both the 1970 version and the phenol free one because at the time, I had massive cystic breakouts and I heard great things about the products. Spoiler: the p50 did not help. I eventually signed onto pocketderm.com to get in touch with a dermatologist. If you're like me and have tried a million products, DIYs and so forth but have gotten mediocre to no results, I highly recommend you try pocketderm. I won't get into details about it since you can google them yourselves. But I digress. After two months of the p50 lotions, both used straight from the bottle as well as diluted, I was left with more acne that I started. I guess it was just too strong for me. For the masque, I can't say I used it too much. It's too expensive and I don't really see results. So that's about it for me. As for the smell, I actually like it. I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR HORRIFIED FACES. But as a Vietnamese woman, I can say the smell is similar to a sauce very frequently eaten in my home. Sorry if I grossed you out.

TLDR; don't buy, unless you can splurge. Try pocketderm.com (no, I am not sponsored. But I figured you guys should know what got me 90% acne free minus the couple of hormonal acne here and there.)

Popular Masks