L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Pre-Self-Tanning Scrub

No Image

4.9

THE. BEST. BODY. SCRUB.

I feel like most scrubs on the market--esp. drug store brands--don't have the oomph to deface even a tulip petal. And then all the rougher, larger grained ones are usually:

1.) basting in thick oils that make me feel gross/ick up my towels/bathtub
2.) packaged in clumsy heavy glass jars that invariably crack and/or fall on my toe
3.) priced at around $30 for 6 ounces.

And even when I do find those terrific body scrubs that are neither oily nor wimpy (like the lovely, moderately rough vat of Ren), I just go through them too fast to warrant the expense.

But this scrub is perfect in every way: Its a generously filled drugstore tube of uniformly mid-sized grains that give skin that satisfyingly uncomfortable grinding that it needs to create a plush, silky glow. The formula is dense without being sticky or gummy; it isn't silicone-slippery or oily which makes rinse-off fast and easy; and there is a decent quantity of a chemical (BHA-salicylic) exfoliant added to boost the efficacy of the mechanical exfoliants.

And, unlike many high-end sugar/salt/nut/pit particle scrubs whose ridiculous price points are (speciously) justified through "natural--is--better" marketing, these scrub particles are synthetic. This is actually preferable (in terms of manual exfoliants/abrasives) because the natural particles are irregular and therefore not only create an unevenly abraded surface, but also often unnecessarily irritate and sting the skin with their very sharp or jagged points (Origins' Ginger Salt Scrub, anyone?). Synthetics also don't disintegrate in water the way salt and sugar scrubs do, so you can do your whole body with a single glob instead of having to re-scoop every 5 seconds.

So why can this product only be found online these days? Honestly, I think it's because it's too effective. If you have sensitive skin or use this too enthusiastically, you'll be uncomfortable. I

on 9/10/2010 12:17:00 AM

I LOVE this scrub, it's the most exfoliating I have ever tried! And the smell is amazing! I work in a pharmacy and wanted to order some, but it said that it's discontinued... so sad... But I'm buying some on the internet! You gotta have that scrub! Don't lose your time with some creamy scrub with soft little plastic pearls that will never smooth your skin, try this one!

on 4/11/2009 1:23:00 PM

I should have hoarded this! I bought this from a local thrift shop now i am regretting I haven't hoarded. this works for me even though I don't do self tanning. very creamy srub that does a great job. Doesn't hurt my skin too. Not harsh!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Pros:
Does an amazing job
Smells wonderful
Price

Cons:
Can't use too frequently
Not readily available

Conclusion:
I loved everything about this. I came out of the shower feeling fresh and smooth. It has BHA in it to enchance the scrubs efficacy. The grains are rougher than most scrubs, but not too harsh. The smell and foaming action make it a real HG. The first time I bought this I found it at a L'Oreal sale for $5 so I bought 2, then I couldn't find it at the pharmacy when I wanted to replenish. I'm noticing now that it is easier to find, but not always. I once had the luck of buying it for $2 on sale at Shoppers Drug Mart!

Alternatives:
L'Oreal Exfotonic - I've heard its identical

I am a big body scrub user but not by choice. I have to use it because I have very bumpy upper arms. This is my favorite scrub. I can use it daily (I know it's bad, but I must). I love the texture as well. It's like a very grainy shower gel that comes in a squeeze tube. There are not too much grains, just enough. Follow with a heavy moisturizer (I use BS Shea Body Butter) and you're fine. It smells okay to me, not heavenly. One of the best out there.

on 6/17/2008 2:00:00 AM

Just found this at my local 99c store! I bought three tubes of it, and I think I will go back and buy the rest lol. I have no idea if the BHA has the right PH balance to be effective, but the little scrubbies in this white, "summery" scented gel make my whole body feel wonderfully smooth, especially my knees, elbows, and backs of my thighs.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I believe I repurchased this. this is a great scrub to use before using L'oreal sublime Bronze self tanners. i like the smell and consistency.

on 4/18/2008 7:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

i found this at .99 cent store for .99 cent!!!I love it and the smell is so goood..make your skin feel smoother and doesnt feel greasy,i agree with the others,when u find it stock up!!!defenitely my HG

some peopel ask me where to bought it: I found it in "99c ONLY STORE "in colton (near ROSS and WALMART), redlands and san bernardino (across inland mall)

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I looooove this stuff! It is the best. I really stocked up (14 tubes) found it for 99 cents...couldnt believe it.

If you find this, STOCK UP. I love Philosophy's Gingerbread Man Scrub, but this is a close equal! In fact, the packaging is far superior to Philosphy's, because it is a tube instead of a tub. Less mess, easier to use, etc. It is NOT oily, rinses away easily and is really superior in terms of scrub power -- USE A LIGHT HAND! Do not use this on your face, too harsh, imo. It is approx $8.00 a tube, so it is priced right as well. Cannot say enough good things about it. It seems to only come out during the summer months, so make certain you buy enough to last you throughout the year. I bought one tube today, and now I am kicking myself - need to go back tomorrow and get another couple before they are gone. I waited all year to see if this product would re-appear on the shelves of my local Shopper's Drug Mart!