REVLON Revlon Red

Revlon RedREvlonREdRevlon Red

4.3

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium

This is an absolutely classic red. Yes, retro, vintage, however you want to describe it, this is THE shade of red since the early 20th century (although the formula has been changed from those early days and no longer contains formaldehyde and toulene). My mother wore this in the fifties and sixties, and my grandmother wore it before that, and now I wear it because, well, nothing beats beautifully polished classic red nails for sophistication and glamour.

I find the formula all right on this, though it can be tricky to work with (I tend to flood the cuticles if I'm not careful). I get pretty good coverage and opacity with one coat if I apply carefully, though I normally use two coats. It is very highly pigmented, and while I don't have particular problems with staining, I definitely would never wear this without a good base coat, or, for that matter, without a good top coat (I suspect strongly it would chip pretty quickly without that added protection).

I love this polish and whenever I wear it, I always feel very sophisticated and, well, classic. Will absolutely buy again and again and again...

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Revlon's Revlon Red Nail Enamel is one of the most classic nail colors of all times. They've been making this shade for decades. Personally I've gone through four or five bottles of this polish over the last eight or so years. I purchased my .5fl oz bottle at Rite Aid for $4.99. Revlon products are not tested on animals and are made in the USA. Revlon's nail enamel formula is formaldehyde and toluene free.
Revlon's nail enamel bottle is just as iconic as the color of this polish. The glass bottle is round and gets wider towards the bottom. A full ingredient list and some product and company info are written on the back in gold. The name and number (680) of the polish are on a sticker onto of the cap. The cap is made of black plastic and has a gold band at the bottom featuring the Revlon logo. The cap is always firmly attached to the top of the brush. Quality and style ftw. The brush is Revlon standard, long, thin, flat, flexible but never splayed. I can't really say much more about it.
Revlon describes their nail enamel formula as "smooth and chip resistant", which I normally agree with. Their polishes always seem to have just the right consistency, never too thick or thin, and Revlon Red is no exception. It applies nicely in very smooth, even coats. Revlon suggests two coats, but honestly you could get by with just one. It applies very nicely in smooth, even coats. One coat is just about opaque, the second one isn't needed, but adds a nice, finished look with some added opacity. No matter how many coats of this polish you apply, it seems like a smooth, perfect finish is guaranteed...at least when the bottle is new. This particular polish gets thick and goopy fast, which is why I've had so many bottles over the years.
Revlon Red is such a classic, retro, neutral red. The kind every girl should have. It's suitable for most skin tones, and nail lengths, on fingers or toes, year round. A color this classic just seems so effortless to pull off, it goes with just about anything. I can't really go too much into details when it comes to the color of Revlon Red, it's pretty much a basic, neutral, cherry red with a fairly flat cream finish. If you're looking for a glossy red, add a top coat or look elsewhere.
Sadly I've never had much luck with Revlon Red when it comes to wear. It chips off horribly within hours, irreparably bad by the next day. The worst part of it is that the chipping isn't caused by anything. I'm not even being hard on my hands at all lately. Simple tasks like opening a bottle of water, typing, and other seemingly harmless actions cause Revlon Red to chip off dramatically in large pieces. The polish that's left over is stubborn to remove and stains my nails harshly, they always seem a little damaged after wearing this polish. A base coat and probably a nail treatment are a total must.
If wear is so poor, and the staining is so bad, why do I keep repurchasing Revlon Red? The color. I can't say no to this color. It's just such a timeless and wearable red. I've come to realise that I can't keep wasting money on polish that wears poorly and gets too thick to use so quickly, just because it's a great shade. So I've decided to start a quest to find a better quality dupe for Revlon Red. Til then, I'll still wear it from time to time when the mood strikes. I recommend Revlon Red if you want a beautiful, nostalgic red polish, but only if you have a really good base coat.

on 4/29/2011 2:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the nail polish I wear most often. If you run into me on any given day, it's a safe bet my nails are painted with this color haha. It's a beautiful classic red, that beautifully matches my red lips (also courtesy of Revlon, in the matte shade Really Red).

The color is a bright, simple, true red. I'm sure there are similarly colored nail polishes that are cheaper in price. However, Revlon Red is not really expensive to begin with, and Revlon products tend to be on sale all of the time at CVS. The quality of the polish is pretty great, it goes on fairly opaque and evenly after one coat, but I always wear two.

This my boyfriends color of choice for my nails. Also I cashier, so I have a lot of people looking at my hands on a regular basis, and I have gotten SO many compliments on this color from men and women alike. I enjoy vintage looks, and I enjoy Revlon, so this is the red polish for me.

on 3/18/2012 3:02:00 PM

This is the perfect warm red that Revlon has been makings for decades, counterpart to the cool pink/red classic Cherries in the Snow. I love them both and have purchased them over and over again, along with their excellent vampy red Vixen. Revlon polishes tend to bubble if applied too thickly or too quickly between coats, and they take forever to dry. Quick dry top coats help a lot which is why I'm not taking a star off for the formula.
Revlon Reds have been American classics since the 1930's and I will always have them in my collection. It's what my great-grandmother wore and the last nail polish my MIL ever bought. It's also what she was wearing when she was 19 years old and met my FIL at a USO dance. It is retro and sexy and I love it. However, if you don't have any sentimental attachments or a thing for vintage beauty products you can find many other reds with easier formulas to work with. It is under $5 in the US with frequent sales and promos that make it very affordable, even free. If you live somewhere it's as expensive as other brands I would recommend something else.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I love. love. love. this polish. It is the perfect red. I used two coats, but you certainly could use one and get away with it. The only downside was that it stained a little bit on me, even with a coat of treatment and an additional base coat.

However, I will deal with the staining for the color and formula-- and the memories. I am pretty sure this is the same color my grandmother used for probably her entire life. She always had a red pedi!

I don't have problems with chipping, which is usual for Revlon and me. I get a few days out it--what I want and expect.

If you are looking for a red that feels everyday, comfortable and classic, this is it. I will rebuy for the rest of my life.

on 7/24/2009 7:18:00 AM

It is a classic creme bright red. Application is a dream. You literally need only one coat (the only dark polish I own that can get away with it). The wear is fine - I have only worn with a top coat though.

It is crazily pigmented. When I got a bit on my toe and took it off with a smudge fixer liquid - it almost stained the whole bottle. Never use this without a base coat - you will regret it for a long time!!!!

Overall excellent polish.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I owned Maybelline's Paint The Town, a very pretty blue-based red, but found the polish a bit difficult to work with. I loved Revlon's Red Hot Tamale, a orange-based red, but then it was unfortunately discontinued. (Side note: I've heard that Revlon's 'Fearless' is identical to Red Hot Tamale, but have yet to test this).
Anyway, I was going through a vintage phase when I bought this polish, because the dark red shade seemed so classic in the bottle and I hoped to mimic a 40's manicure.
I love this polish! It's the perfect red-- not too blue or orange, just true red-- and it looks very chic.
I would definitely buy this polish again, and would recommend it to anyone who loves vintage-style reds.

on 7/31/2014 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I'm not really into nail polish much; I don't really make a concentrated effort to buy it. I received this polish in a gift. Revlon red is super pigmented, one coat is all you need. It is just very easy to work with and make flawless. The color is beautiful, very classy, especially on tanned skin. It's not so dark that it's a "statement color," and I think very fair people could also use this on their nails. Overall an amazing polish especially for the price.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

After falling head over heels with Revlon's Valentine (a darker, blood red color) polish I've made it my mission to try out most of Revlon's red polishes. Since Revlon Red was next up on the covet list, I seized the opportunity to buy during one of my ridiculously rare trips to Target. My Walmart seems to be out of this shade and their display doesn't provide nearly as many various shades as Target and drugstores do. As an avid wearer of red lipstick- my go-to shade being Revlon's Really Red- I thought it was only appropriate that I walked away with this polish. So I did.
As everyone else has described, this is a shade that many people would describe as being "vintage" or "retro" and yes, I do agree. It does remind me of intricate roller sets, Elvis, pinched waists, and big chrome vehicles that look more like rocket ships than roadsters.
It's a relatively medium-bright, neutral red and exceptionally true to the way it appears in the bottle. While one coat does the trick for color, an extra coat of this tends to lend its hand to the longevity of the polish. Revlon's polishes DO have those weird little bubbles in them but they usually diminish completely upon the application of a top coat. The staying power is pretty good. Tip-wear is kind of hard to combat but I think this polish holds up especially well for the price. Taking it off is going to be a little agonizing because I'm pretty sure it'll stain, but I don't really mind that.
All in all, I love it! It had to grow on me though, since I tend to reserve the brighter colors for my lips. I got lots of compliments on this particular shade as well, which made me feel a lot more confident with it. Revlon Red is yet another sexy bombshell type shade and Revlon has yet to disappoint me. Good work, Revlon!

on 4/10/2011 2:53:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is my go-to red polish. Perfect red colour, very pigmented, glides on easily, dries quickly, is opaque with one coat however I prefer to apply two, does not chip. So much product and a great formulation ensures that I will buy again.

Popular Polishes