4.2

Reviews

1.0
from

6 months ago

I tried the herbal one. NEVER again. I washed my hair with it and as soon as it dried, it was extremely waxy. I have long straight fine hair which is pretty manageable and this shampoo bar left it feeling gross. I do like that it is a natural product and will probably use it as a soap.

About reviewer (23 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Fair, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesBrown

2 years ago

I tried this once I discovered shampoo bars were actually a thing. I looked at Lush but theirs were heavily scented and colored and had a lot of added chemicals. This brand won me over because it has nothing extra added. No fragrance, any scent is due to the use of essential oils added for their properties but it’s extremely mild. It’s cleared for color treated hair and it gave my hair so much volume and softness. I have very thin blonde hair that stubbornly wants to do nothing. I’m 34 and not into lank flat hair. But it’s also way fabulous because it’s all natural, no waste and the packing is paper. According to the website you can use it for a very mild body soap and even for laundry soap on delicates. I even use it as a facial bar it’s so mild. Makes traveling much lighter and efficient plus you don’t need to worry about leaks. My hair is shoulder length, bleached platinum blonde for the last 12 years straight, and I don’t have hard water. I didn’t experience the same side effects or transition period others did. I just had itchy dry scalp for about a week and a half but I have eczema so that’s not so different. And I’d definitely experienced worse flare ups. This was nothing near what many shampoos caused. I struggled with shampoo and conditioner either making my hair dry and frizzy or limp and greasy. Nothing like clean. Once I started using this I remembered that back in the 1990s my hair used to be like this. Smooth, clean, soft. I guess they changed product contents along the years and I eventually ended up with two shampoos, one conditioner, and two leave in sprays once out of the shower. Ugh! Expensive and time consuming. But it was the only way to not end up with a massive eczema attack. Now it’s just the shampoo bar, a natural conditioner, and a little coconut oil on the ends when damp. That’s just because of 12 years of heavy bleaching.

About reviewer (60 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinSensitive, Fair, Warm

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

EyesGray

2.0

2 years ago

It completely destroyed my hair. I used this shampoo bar for about a month, washing with it every other day and washing just with water on alternate days. Even though I didn't have good results I kept using it since various websites said it can take time for your hair to adjust to a natural shampoo bar. Now my hair is the frizziest it has ever been in my life, extremely dry and yet somehow greasy at the same time while feeling like it has a waxy coating, constantly tangled even right after brushing, the ends feel rough, and every time I brush it some sort of greasy, linty gunk comes out and clogs my hairbrush. But worse than all of these is that my hair is now very breakage-prone. I can see that many of my strands are broken and are different lengths, and when I brush my hair or shower, lots of hairs that are shorter than my usual length fall out. I read that this can sometimes happen with natural shampoo bars. I definitely don't recommend using this shampoo bar if you have hard or over-chlorinated water. Even if you have normal water, use it with caution and read about it from a variety of sources first. I'm going to go back to the SLS-containing shampoo bars made by a certain well-known mall brand, along with a natural (non-bar) conditioner, and hope that my hair will go back to the way it was. So you may be wondering, why did I give it two stars instead of one, considering it destroyed my hair? Well this bar is actually useful, just not as a shampoo bar. Because it is more moisturizing than a typical bar soap, it works very well as a soap to use in the winter, and also as a shaving soap. I will most likely continue to purchase it for this purpose.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

EyesHazel

3 years ago

Awesome natural shampoo. Leaves hair clean hand beautiful, perfect for my curly hair! At first it left a LOT of residue in my hair, but y realized that it was beaucoup oh hard water. Now i just damp my dry hair with a solution of baking soda and water just before washing. The rose smell is very subtil, i love it!

About reviewer (2 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

4 years ago

This is an excellent shampoo for airline travel, for starters. It lathers well, rinses out completely, and leaves my hair soft. When I'm home, I'll use it and Trader Joe's tea tree oil conditioner. When I travel, I can do without the conditioner for a few days. The Liggetts bar lasts a long time, it smells good, it causes no allergic reactions nor pimples, and as far as I can tell it causes no adverse reactions at all. I just get pretty, soft, clean hair. I never experienced the weird first-time results other users report, but I never have used many products on my permed hair, just either Trader Joe's tea tee oil shampoo and conditioner or Liggets Shampoo Bar. My husband uses Liggetts exclusively on his hair and body. He has lovely skin and he smells good.

About reviewer (2 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinNormal, Fair

HairBlond

4 years ago

It was a life changing transformation!!!! I absolutely love the product and what it does to my hair and I would recommend it to anyone. All my life I had very delicate, thin hair, prone to frizz, damaged and breaking despite all efforts I put into my haircare... I never used hairdryers, neither straighteners... I never coloured my hair and didn't use any styling products. Only shampoo, conditioner and my brush... I always wear my hair in a bun to work as a part of the image I have to maintain and after 4 years of wearing the same hairstyle nearly every day my hair are really damaged halfway through their length (after-shoulder blade length)... Recently I was honestly desperate... I started to have dandruff, my hair was completely flat and lifeless with dry ends and oily roots and the frizz was worse than ever... So I went on to find anything that can help this awful frizz I have on the top layer of my hair... And step by step I came across J R Liggett shampoos. I did extensive research and decided to try it... I chose the original formula bar and used it during a short vacation period away from work to start the "transition period" where your hair goes through an initial shock and looks dreadful. It wasn't that bad if I can be honest as I used the apple cider rinse. They were little bit stiff and waxy and lost their shine completely, but at the same time my dandruff was gone after the first use and my hair (naturally wavy) got this beautiful twists and waves like from a Hollywood movie! And the frizz has disappeared for the first time in my life!!! After several uses my hair are now beautiful, light, shiny, with loads of body and natural waves and curls and I just cannot describe how happy I am that I found this product. It is absolutely wonderful. I don't have to use conditioner, I only use soap and the rinse with additional few drops of various essential oils and (e.g. Lavender or camomile) and they look absolutely gorgeous. I can't say enough about the overall change... I've used so many different shampoos, sometimes spending a fortune and nothing came even close to the results I have now. Plus, the JR Liggett shampoo bars are so cheap, you have a great range to choose from, you know you are using 100% natural products and the effects are amazing. So now, go and grab your purse or a laptop and buy this shampoo bar... Do yourself a favour and do your hair a favour. Time to stop supporting those awful brands who pretend to care for our hair but all they do is forcing us into a vicious circle of haircare products, which ultimately damage your hair even more. I love JR Liggetts and am so grateful that something like this exists. I gave my Mum and siblings the shampoo bars to try and they are loving it too. My Mum has short, thick and wavy hair, she goes to hairdresser to style them every other week and now she has a proper Hollywood hair after only washing it with this bar and it is full of volume and shine without styling, hairdryers and tons of hair products. now she can't stress enough how grateful she is that I showed it to her. To all those who give up after the first 2-3 uses- it is a real shame you don't know what you're missing out on. All I have to say is THANK YOU J R LIGGETTS!!!! You changed my life!

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinNormal, Medium, Warm

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

EyesGreen

4 years ago

I was very skeptical about this purchase... I was fed up with shampoos that were too drying, too irritating, or worse yet both. My scalp was angry at me again, and I knew I had to try something different before my hair started falling out... again. This had a short ingredient list, and was available at Whole Foods, so I took a chance. It is very good on fragile skin. No irritation or breakouts, and it isn't drying. I have even tried it on my face and body with the same results. HOWEVER, do not rub this directly on your hair. Keep a small bowl in your shower and rub the soap in about an inch of water until the water feels a little slick. It will leave a slight residue on your hair that your conditioner will most likely remove. I use John Masters Bare Unscented Conditioner without problems. If you rub this on your hair it will feel like dried honey, and it is a real bear to work the conditioner through. Some people recommend ACV rinses without conditioner. I however cannot look at ACV sideways without skin irritation, no matter how diluted. For people with great, or even good skin, this might be too much of a pain. If your skin/ scalp sucks, or you are traveling minimally, this is a great option.

About reviewer (29 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

5 years ago

I bought this for my four-year old daughter whose hair is fine but has a sensitive scalp that is prone to dandruff. I wanted to try something natural and settled on this. It produces a creamy lather very easily and leaves her hair squeaky clean but soft once dry. Her hair looks shiny and healthy. Her scalp is slowly clearing up which I'm relieved about. I follow with a light conditioner or leave in spray. I like The Honest Company Leave-in spray for her. So far I love this shampoo bar for her hair and am looking forward to trying the other ones.

About reviewer (2203 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinOily, Medium, Cool

HairBrunette, Curly, Medium

EyesBrown

5 years ago

I have color treated, dark wavy hair. I bought this bar of hair soap several weeks ago after an intriguing review here on MUA. I was looking for a natural shampoo that didn't have all the yucky stuff that weighs down and creates a film on your hair. I ordered the Original bar from Vitacost.com for about 4.25. I guess it is "Castile" soap? Olive oil based soap. Any way, I was sure this was going to be a fail but hey! Its great! Going against all I have ever know about shampooing, I am using this bar and nothing else. I guess if you had tangly hair you could add some kind of oil once you get out of the shower. I don't need to. I let my hair air dry and when I wake up in the morning I have a huge poof of curls! Its kind of cute! There are different formulations of this soap but I think so far this is my favorite product find of the year.

About reviewer (280 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinNormal, Medium, Cool

HairBrunette, Curly, Medium

5 years ago

I'm 62 years old and have shoulder length, slightly wavy hair. (Not much grey.) I prefer natural products without a lot of scent; I can't stand heavy fragrance, no matter how good my hair looks. But I do like my hair to look good! So I have muddled along for many years without being totally satisfied with any shampoo and conditioner combination. I tried this stuff on a whim and was simply shocked by how well it worked. It makes a lot of suds, cleans well, rinses out quickly, and without any added conditioner my hair looks bouncy --, yet conditioned. It's so simple I still don't believe it. With typical shampoo/ conditioner duos, either I get clean with an outer layer of frizz, or I get smoothness that is too close to greasiness for comfort. This bar shampoo somehow hits the happy medium of body without frizz. It's something I haven't experienced since the 80s! This stuff is super cheap and occasionally I long for something more fabulous. But nothing gives me better results. I add an apple cider vinegar rinse occasionally, and sometimes put a little argan oil in my hair while it's still wet. This really makes me question shampoo. Like, are all shampoos basically detergent? Is the whole purpose of conditioner to mitigate the damage done by shampoo?.Actually, I just saw a website selling a $40 non-detergent conditioning wash suggesting that bo!th of those things are true. I almost went for it... but then decided to stick with my $6 solution. UPDATE: So I tried the $40 stuff -- silly me. But this is still a contender, and I turn to it when I feel like the $40 stuff isn't cleaning my hair well enough.

About reviewer (74 reviews)

Age56 & Over