KMS California Sea Salt Styling Spray

3.8

on 7/4/2006 7:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This was similar to John Frieda's Ocean Waves Spray and I believe it came out first. Anyway, when I discoverd Ocean Waves was discontinued and going for nearly $40 a bottle on Ebay, I was lucky enough to get 3 bottles of this for $15 + shipping. Similar effect but just not exactly the same. Still an easy way to give your hair a nice summer look when in a hurry in the humid weather. Of course I wouldn't buy it again BECAUSE it's discontinued and I was lucky enough to get a hold of 3 bottles to last me awhile :)

I would love to purchase this product again, if only it hadn't been discontinued... grrr... The greatest thing about this product, after the smell, is the fine mist nozzle - hello! genius. This way you mist your hair instead of squirting it and you look beachy fresh - great texture... did I mention the fabulous smell?

on 6/4/2008 12:03:00 AM

Well, both the reviews say this is discontinued, and they're from '06 and '07. I just bought this without any hassle online last week, so it's either back on shelves, or I lucked out with a website that still has some in stock. Anyway, I believe I've tried every salt spray that's ever existed. I WANT them to work! My hair looks awesome when I've been at the beach all day, lots of messy, sexy waves (my hair's very fine, but I have a ton of it, with a natural wave that tends toward curling when I really work at it). Most salt sprays just make my hair a horrible frizz-ball, which is a little less than the sexy look I want. This was no different when I first tried it (on wet hair with some other anti-frizz products). The other night I decided to use it on my dry hair after I'd had a pretty good hair day (I'd used some gel and anti-frizz cream), and it was SO good. My hair really looked like I'd been running around outside, all messy and sexy. The product itself smells great, and the spray bottle is convenient to use/hold and lets off a very fine mist. If this is, in fact, still available, I'll definitely buy again.

on 7/30/2008 10:49:00 AM

Just to let you girls know I have tracked this stuff down in TJ Hughes (in the UK) for 1 a bottle. I will definately have to stock up!

on 5/26/2009 4:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Great for curly or wavy hair, although I'd straightened my hair and then tried this and I looked like I had really messy awful hair. So not sure how it will go for straight hair. I rarely wear my hair curly but when I do I let my hair air dry (I am naturally curly), then tidy the curls later and create depth with my ghd. I then give the curls a bit of a spritz with this and scrunch - it works great for a little hold and gives the curls a natural "lived in" look. I think this bottle will probably last me forever, so I'm not sure if I will even need to repurchase.
EDIT: original review 3/5. Bumped this up to 4 as I've found myself constantly reaching for it when I wear my hair curly. Gives definition and bounce, and just the right amount of "crunch" if you know what I mean.

on 7/17/2009 7:57:00 PM

I have tried other KMS products and liked them. I did rate this 2 overall as it does add texture to hair. I did like the packaging. But I found this product extremely drying. The second ingredient is magnium sulfate (or epsom salt). Sea salt is way down the list. This product also contains peppermint oil and I do not want my hair to smell minty. I will not repurchase. I loved John Frieda Ocean Waves and have not found a replacement. I do like Sunsilk Sea of Envy wave mist better than the KMS (and much cheaper). My hair is naturally wavy, highlighted blonde.
EDIT to add: I purchased this in Canada from Cosmo Prof (professional distributor/supplier) July 2009

on 8/7/2009 6:55:00 PM

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

i don't know what everyone is talking about? I bought this product last week at a store called Essentials...I must admit my hair is entirely too straight or maybe is just have no idea how to use it but it doesnt do anything for me... :(

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Purchased at Ulta for around $15 and so far just ok - i've been on the hunt for a good sea spray and i don't think is it. I DO like the peppermint scent and the fact that it is not sticky. Don't see too much texturizing, it's very light - would like more definition. My hair is long, fine, naturally curly and is getting straighter with length, thus why i am on the hunt for a good sea spray.

on 5/25/2011 5:52:00 PM

I thought this product was going to save me and my limp, fine, wavy hair. It gives me TONNES of body and nice big waves. However, I noticed after using it for a while that my hands started to feel really dry, as though I had been bathing them daily in rubbing alcohol. On further inspection I realized that the alcohol and salt content in this product was FRYING my hair. I still keep the bottle in my bathroom cupboard for special occaisons but I wouldn't DARE use this product on a daily basis.

on 3/5/2012 10:43:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I was in search of another decent sea salt spray and I was lucky to snag this half price, so I couldn't turn this one down. This product does exactly what it's supposed to do-it gives me plenty of body and textured, beachy waves. I don't use it everyday, but sometimes I want to play up my natural wave and curl and this product is perfect for doing that. I like to use this with Enjoy's volumizing mousse and it gives me perfect, beachy hair everytime. Like someone else mentioned, this product gives you the right amount of "crunch" without being too sticky or stiff. I like the packaging as well, it looks cute amongst my other hair products.