Kose Medicated Sekkisei

Kose Medicated Sekkisei

Water, alcohol, glycerin, angelica acutiloba root extract, coix lacryma, jobi (job's tears) seed extract, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, hamamelis virginia (witch hazel) extract, melothria heterophylla extract, tocopheryl acetate, tritcum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, citric acid, DI-C12-15 pareth-8 phosphate, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, polysorbate 80, sodium citrate, sorbitan sesquioleate, triethylhexanonin, ethylparaben, fragrance.

on 11/28/2016 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have gone through several huge bottles of this, and overall this entire Sekkisei line is fantastic. I use this toner/lotion (in japan toners are called lotions), along with the emulsion moisturizer (light moisturizer) and gel cream (a bit heavier moisturizer for night or winter use). I do also own the powder wash (apparently, I totally forgot I had it until I was decluttering this weekend LOL), but my problem with that is that it comes in a bottle and since I like to wash my face in the shower, it becomes really difficult using the powder wash out of a bottle without getting water/moisture into the bottle.

In any case, I've had a lot of issues with US/western brand toners. Almost every single one I've tried/used in the past have been surprisingly stringent and rather harsh on my skin (even when they're not supposed to be for oily skin). I've tried 2 or 3 different Lancôme ones that outright broke me out (the ones that came with gwp) on top of feeling stringent. Back in the days when I first started working and started buying skincare and makeup for myself I used the Clinique 3 step and that was rather harsh, possibly because I typically have oily skin and I might've bought the oily skin set. I have also tried a bunch of other lotions/toners from other Japanese brands, and in general those seemed to have not done much for me even though they didn't break me out or feel harsh. The closest so far that I've experienced from western brands may be the Caudalie Beauty Elixir spray, but that's a facial spray and not a toner, technically.

What I particularly love about Japanese toner/lotions is that it seems everyone in japan is more obsessive with maintaining moisture rather than stripping your skin of oil. The idea is that if you're dry skinned, then you need moisture. If you're OILY skinned, then that's your skin over producing oil because it's too dry - so you STILL need moisture. I think perhaps because in Japan 99% of the population is Asian, thus it's very Asian skintype specific. Not a lot of people experience the "flakey dry skin" that westerners sometimes have - almost everyone have skin that produces oil, thus every moisturizer/skin product that's meant to maintain moisture uses oil-free manner of moisturizing.

This toner is incredibly refreshing with a lovely light and refreshing scent that's not at all overpowering. it feels like cool refreshing water on my face, and I never experienced stinging or breakout or any dry feeling after this melts in. It also absorbs super fast. I normally shake this directly into my palm, rub my hands together, and pat onto my face. I used to use cotton pad, but I find that it wastes a lot of product, and using my hands directly feels a lot better on my skin. Have I mentioned how refreshing this is???

This is decently pricy, the larger sized bottles run around $50~? Pricing can be hard to say since this brand is not sold directly in US - previously I was buying directly in japan. This brand, despite the price tag, is actually considered "drugstore" as opposed to department store, so in Japan you can run into a lot of sales. I've purchased the large bottle of this for as little as $35 ish converted, after percentage off sale. On sasa.com where I last purchased a replacement bottle, it was $45 for the 350ml bottle. It's a bit pricy, but last a really long time even used daily and rather generous use.

The one I use is the blue bottle with white text - there's another one that's blue bottle with gold text that's called the "Excellent" for extra moisture for older skin I think? I never tried that one.

I think this is pretty comparable to SK-II's Facial Treatment Essence which is $$$$$$$$$, and I find Sekkisei to smell much better and more refreshing. SK-II's smells initially a bit like sulfur/rotten egg... >.>;; I've used SK-II extensively for period of several months, and I didn't notice that my skin was dramatically better with that. What did make my skin see dramatic difference is when I swapped from the SK-II Stempower/RNA Power serum to Lancôme Genefique and Skinceutical B5. Genefique and Skinceutical are WAY better - but that's for a totally different review lol.

After trying so much skincare when I was in japan and also in US, I think I've gotten to the point where I know what my HG is - and this definitely belong in my HG power set. I'm super glad that Sasa sells this so I can access it even when I'm not traveling to japan!

on 9/1/2016 11:32:00 AM

Not for acne prone skin, it's too harsh, but i think it did brighten my skin a bit.

on 6/13/2014 4:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It made me breakout!! Especially when i already had acne. Made it worst. :(

on 6/6/2014 12:49:00 PM

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

Quick to absorb but doesn't dry my skin. Slight brightening. Will consider to repurchase since it is not too expensive. An alternative toner to missha treatment essence.

I already use this sekkisei lotion for 6 years, this toner really works on my skin. It brighten and always keep my skin moisture. It's quite pricey but it worth. I can use a bottle for a year..

on 10/9/2014 6:32:00 AM

I tried this product and love the result. I have an oily skin type but it didn't make my face more oily than before. I felt this product helped even out my skin tone but the problem is price. I can only afford the travel size bottle hahaha but I know mostly good results comes from expensive products

on 2/14/2014 12:03:00 PM

As a guy with oily skin living in hot humid Malaysia, this lotion is a god sent for me. It is cooling and refreshing but provides ample moisturising n hydration for day time use. I do not use a moisturiser in the daytime as the weather makes most moisturisers melt and end up making my face shiny n greasy by noon.

After cleansing I apply this using my palms and pat it in until absorbed. after that I apply a sunscreen with some hydrating benefits. After 2 months of use I feel it helped calm my acne prone skin down and it did brighten my skin somewhat.

The suggested application method is by cotton pads but it didn't work for me. Firstly the lotion finishes up faster . Secondly the cotton usually gets caught in my facial hair/stubble.

The Sekkisei Lotion also works very well as an after shave. no burn which means the alcohol content is not that high and not greasy unlike other aftershaves.

The only con is the price which isn't that high but the problem is it increases every year by around 5%.

on 9/15/2013 1:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

The first time I ever used this was when I lived in Japan (although I could only afford to get the tiny trial size!), which also happens to be when I was suffering from the worst acne of my life. I later figured out that the cause of my acne was hormonal, so there was no way this product would have been able to cure it, but when I did use it at the time I felt that it helped reduce the severity of my pimples. Now that I know the cause of my acne and I'm on BCP and spiro, I only ever get the tiniest pimples every now and then. I recently picked this up at a Japanese grocery near where I live to see whether it could help improve skin tone, as many reviews have said, and minimize my pores if possible, since that's my main issue now. First of all, I think this has the classiest bottle! I love the way it looks on my dresser. The toner has a fresh scent and is totally clear. It does have alcohol in it, which I don't mind (it seems to have a lot less than some other toners I've used, including things like witch hazel, which is usually around 14% alcohol). I do have to say that this visibly improves skin tone and softens skin, although only when I use it (not permanently). But it really does make a noticeable difference. Just like I noticed when I was using it for acne, it really does seem to calm the skin. As for my pores, nothing can make them smaller, but having a more consistent, clear skin tone does help take attention away from them, at least. It also keeps them extra clear so hopefully they won't expand. Either way, although this product is expensive, many less expensive products don't give as effective results, and you only need the littlest bit to see a difference, so I think it's a good deal. Recommended for anyone who doesn't mind an astringent toner and is looking to improve their skin tone. I also think this would be great for face masks.

on 9/22/2013 11:55:00 AM

I've been using this for more than 5 years and still loving it! Literally my skin savior. Every lady should have a bottle of this. Love it both as a toner and mask. Whenever my skin is in a poor condition, I'll apply it on my whole face first and re-apply more on the affected area with the lotion soaked in cotton wool. Helps calm my skin.

on 4/9/2014 9:25:00 AM

My favourite toner ever, although this product contains alcohol, it really moisturizes my face..I have tried other toners (eg estee lauder and sana) but none of them are as good as this kose toner.. this toner can also be used with face mask..kose has 2 types of face mask, the more expensive one has better quality and it works really well with this toner. Also,it is cheaper to purchase this in Japan (their drugstore or duty free).