Maybelline New York Expert Eyes Eye Shadow

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Oh my GOD

I finally found my perfect matte brown eyeshadow. And...whaaaat? It's MAYBELLINE?

Okay, so I'm *ahem* older. I'm 41. What does that mean, class? (everyone in unison) WRINKLES!!! Nooo, not wrinkles...well, yes those too, but CREPEY LIDS. Crinkly, like seersucker (or plissé, if you're really old).

And what is Kryptonite for crepey lids? SHIMMER. If you're a blue-eyed, bright shadow wimp like me, you tend to stick to browns. You know, brown+blue=pop! Ostensibly. Even if I could find a nice brown shadow without shimmer (and they're damnably rare, let me tell you), another problem rears up...

Just about every.damn.brown.shadow out there had RED undertones. The kind that make you look like you've been up all night, sniffing coke and eyeballing guys with questionable morals. (Do people even snort coke any more? I haven't been on scene in sooo long...anyway...)

In comes Maybelline with their three buck Mocha (something or other) eyeshadow single. I'm too lazy to get off the bed and give you the exact name. But it has the word "Mocha" in it. Hey, I said I'm old. And I had knee surgery too...okay, it was three months ago. I'm just lazy.

I'm in Wal Mart, doing the bimonthly family shopping trip, with an enormously bulging basket, wanting to buy SOMETHING for myself, so I grabbed this, registered it was essentially matte, and threw it on top of the other stuff. I didn't have high hopes, not at all.

A few days later, I actually have a few minutes to futz with my makeup, so I start playing. And holy cow, here's a buildable, mostly matte brown with NO RED TONES. I can use it as a wash of color, darken it at the outer corners, wet it as eyeliner, yikes holycrapnoWAY!!! Hubby heard my uncharacteristic squealing in the bathroom,and came charging in, ready to kill whatever fearsome beastie was threatening his woman. When I explained it was the eyeshadow, you can imagine the look I got.

Men. They just don't understand. After all those hours with him, spent looking for the perfect...whatever...for his car/motorcycle/computer, you'd think he'd GET my makeup obsession. But no.

Downside is (and isn't there always a downside) that it will crease - and formidably so - if you don't use a primer. I do, and problem solved. I have finally found a matte-ish (and I keep saying that because it has the lightest of satin finishes, but no shimmer) brown shadow to pair with my WNW HG, Brulee, and I've dropped at least three steps from my makeup routine. I've noticed that as I have gotten older, I still want to look pretty...I just don't want to spend an hour doing it. Thumbs up and five lippes.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have many of this shadows ~ Earthly Taupe, Champagne Fizz, Linen, Tranquil Sands, Silver Lining, Silken Taupe and Antique Jade. The lighter shades are actually the best highlighters that I have found.

My two favorites are Earthly Taupe and Champagne Fizz. Earthly Taupe is great for a naked matte look as an all over color wash. It works perfectly with eyeliner for a no makeup look. Champagne Fizz was a matte shade, but the newest one I purchased was shimmer, which is a total disappointment. This was may favorite brow highlight. These shades are getting harder and harder to find. It appears that Maybelline is pushing their quads vs. single shades.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have three of these eye shadows and I have to say they are decent. They aren't amazing, but for the price, I think they work well. I have two shimmery shades (a green and a light brown) and one matte shade (a dark brown.) I have to say that the shimmery shades seem a little easier to apply, for whatever reason. However, all of these shadows are pretty easy to blend and they are pigmented fairly well. They staying power isn't perfect, but some primer makes them last. I keep the sponge applicators that come with these, and when I really want staying power and bright color, I'll wet the applicators and then apply.
Overall, these aren't bad at all, especially for the price. I keep my matte brown shade in my purse for touch ups and it had really come in handy at times :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I have TONS of eyeshadow sets, and the majority of them are from Maybelline Expert Eyes. The colors are great and show up very well; are easy to blend and work with. My favorite sets are Grey Matters, Rose Tints, Crown Jewels, and Catty Eyes (haven't seen that last one in any store in a long time though). Whenever I'm looking for a new set of eyeshadow, I usually turn to Maybelline Expert Eyes. The only faults I find with it are the packaging- the shape of the tin makes it impossible to keep them stacked neatly in my cosmetics box, and sometimes the sponge on the applicator splits in half. (The packaging is the reason I rated this a 4). The eyeshadows definitely make up for this though and are totally worth it :)

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

i normally love all the high end brands like mac but i thought id save my money and get this. i got a really pretty shimmery white colour 2day as a highlight and i must say the colour pay off is fab im happy i got this :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I recently bought this eyeshadow in Tranquil Sands, which i find is a pretty beige shade. I had been looking forward to buying this color because i wanted to have a natural looking eyeshadow that would be close to my lid color while still making my eyes look a bit more polished. I find that it's very easy to wear and apply, and a very good color to use for a quick / simple look. I feel like this is the kind of shade that i could apply without necessarily being too precise because it seems to be a very forgiving, easy-going color. This also has a satin finish with a very slight sheen to it, which i like as well. I've been trying this eyeshadow out for a few days, and so far i am liking it a lot. If there are any changes, i will be sure to update!

I cannot understand the glowing reviews, because this is one of the worst, if not THE absolute WORST eyeshadow I've ever used. Smooth & blendable my ass! I have the black one w/sparkles & the turquoise one, and both of them are chalky, powdery, and somehow manage to flake & get all over the place no matter how carefully I apply them. You know how some shadows harden & solidify in the pan & you have to scrape off the top layer to get any product on your brush? Yeah, these will do that after ONE USE. And when I actually manage to get any color on my lids, it transfers all over the rest of my eyelid & rubs off.

Truly, truly terrible. It's hard to screw up eyeshadow, I mean, it's just colored powder, right? How hard can it be to make decent eyeshadow? Well, obviously Maybelline can't figure it out. Don't EVER buy these shadows. If you want cheap makeup, go with Cover Girl or Jane.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

With Maybelline It's always a hit or a miss.The hits are very far and in-between from what I have tried.After picking this up and trying it,yes I was a bit disapointed the color was duo in "Sea Glass" and it looked amazing in the case but I should of remembered not all eyeshadows wear like MAC.There are those few out there that do.So I took a chance and bought this.This is such a chalky eyeshadow having way more talc then pigment.After I put it on it with a professional brush stroking the colors over 10 x each to get a fair pigment I did not like the result at all.This was the first time I had ever tried the expert wear eyeshadow.Overall this is a piece of junk and proved to be very,very poor quality.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

As Nancy Reagan advised, Just Say No. These are terrible and poorly pigmented - I had to scrape and scrape the applicator on the surfaces and still hardly got any pigment on the sponge. Worst of all, it actually started flaking off in granules when I swiped it. This is by far the cruddiest e/s I've ever tried.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Bought this a long time ago in "Arctic Pink". A very gorgeous color! Looks like baby pink in the package. I usually apply it to my brow bones and inner rims of my eyes as a "highlighter" and the color comes on sheer with a light shimmery pink. Unfortunately,i find it too chalky and unblendable....