Maybelline Expert Eyes Eye Shadow

Filtered by skin type : Dry

2.9

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Oh my GOD

I finally found my perfect matte brown eyeshadow. And...whaaaat? It's MAYBELLINE?

Okay, so I'm *ahem* older. I'm 41. What does that mean, class? (everyone in unison) WRINKLES!!! Nooo, not wrinkles...well, yes those too, but CREPEY LIDS. Crinkly, like seersucker (or plissé, if you're really old).

And what is Kryptonite for crepey lids? SHIMMER. If you're a blue-eyed, bright shadow wimp like me, you tend to stick to browns. You know, brown+blue=pop! Ostensibly. Even if I could find a nice brown shadow without shimmer (and they're damnably rare, let me tell you), another problem rears up...

Just about every.damn.brown.shadow out there had RED undertones. The kind that make you look like you've been up all night, sniffing coke and eyeballing guys with questionable morals. (Do people even snort coke any more? I haven't been on scene in sooo long...anyway...)

In comes Maybelline with their three buck Mocha (something or other) eyeshadow single. I'm too lazy to get off the bed and give you the exact name. But it has the word "Mocha" in it. Hey, I said I'm old. And I had knee surgery too...okay, it was three months ago. I'm just lazy.

I'm in Wal Mart, doing the bimonthly family shopping trip, with an enormously bulging basket, wanting to buy SOMETHING for myself, so I grabbed this, registered it was essentially matte, and threw it on top of the other stuff. I didn't have high hopes, not at all.

A few days later, I actually have a few minutes to futz with my makeup, so I start playing. And holy cow, here's a buildable, mostly matte brown with NO RED TONES. I can use it as a wash of color, darken it at the outer corners, wet it as eyeliner, yikes holycrapnoWAY!!! Hubby heard my uncharacteristic squealing in the bathroom,and came charging in, ready to kill whatever fearsome beastie was threatening his woman. When I explained it was the eyeshadow, you can imagine the look I got.

Men. They just don't understand. After all those hours with him, spent looking for the perfect...whatever...for his car/motorcycle/computer, you'd think he'd GET my makeup obsession. But no.

Downside is (and isn't there always a downside) that it will crease - and formidably so - if you don't use a primer. I do, and problem solved. I have finally found a matte-ish (and I keep saying that because it has the lightest of satin finishes, but no shimmer) brown shadow to pair with my WNW HG, Brulee, and I've dropped at least three steps from my makeup routine. I've noticed that as I have gotten older, I still want to look pretty...I just don't want to spend an hour doing it. Thumbs up and five lippes.

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Review for Champagne Fizz. This is a beautiful skin toned shadow. It creates a lovely neutral eye base by evening out minor discoloration. Perfect to apply other shadow over or leave as is. It is called matte, but is not a true matte, there is just enough glow to it to keep it from looking powdery and flat. Packaging is not very good, but price and shadow is.

I got these eye shadows on sale. I bought a purple, aqua blue color, darker blue, a green, & a silver. What a waste of money! The colors look pretty but it does not show up like that on my eye. It's spotty & sheer. It takes a lot of eye shadow packed on to get some color. I was pretty disappointed . Wouldn't buy again.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Let me just keep it real. These shadows suck. They are sort of pretty in the compact, but that's all. There is NO pigmentation once this shadow is applied. Therefore, you must pack on tons of product in order to get some type of result. To add salt on that wound, the color that you have packed on doesn't last very long. Buy something else....Anything else.

I thought this product was bad at first too because the colors are just glittery and theres almost no color payoff, but if you apply this wet, with a base, its actually pretty good! try it out ladies!

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I actually quite like this! I got a quad with dark purple, lilac, pink and a really like almost white shimmery pink. I think it stays on relativly well (3/4 day) doesn't crease and looks good when layered. Packaging has alot to answer for though, one word, tacky!

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have Maybelline's Expert Eyes in a quad pallete and a single one. They are not very pigmented, so I have to continuously add and blend which just becomes too tedious. And the single shadow I have, in a gold shade, does not go on smoothly for some weird reason. Wouldn't buy again unless I'm desperate.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

really dry and wore out in like an hour

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Thank God I got this on sale. This eyeshadow constantly annoys me, and I've given it many chances to redeem itself. There's several things wrong with it: 1) The brush is completely useless, and you'll either have to use your own brushes or your fingers. 2) The colour I have, Chambray Blue, is not very pigmented. Plus it doesn't look good on me, but that's possibly irrelevant for you. 3) It wears off very quickly, and leaves only the shimmer behind, which is a LOT of shimmer. It doesn't look shimmery when it's mixed with the eyeshadow, but when the eyeshadow rubs off (which is quickly), it leaves behind a mess of sparkles. 4) After a little bit of use, it looked like this: It's all lumpy and hard in some spots, and this was after I cleaned it up a bit. Ugh. Will not repurchase. continued >>

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I bought this having searched fruitlessly for hours for the right shades of green, blue and purple for my hazel-green eyes. I almost missed this little quad on the shelf but was delighted to find four useable, harmonious colours that were just what I was looking for and so well priced, just NZ$19.95. You can use these colours so many different ways, I love wetting my eyeshadow brush and using the green as an eyeliner with the pale purple on my lids. Good quality product from Maybelline I will be buying more colours soon!!