Maybelline Expert Eyes Eye Shadow

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Oh my GOD

I finally found my perfect matte brown eyeshadow. And...whaaaat? It's MAYBELLINE?

Okay, so I'm *ahem* older. I'm 41. What does that mean, class? (everyone in unison) WRINKLES!!! Nooo, not wrinkles...well, yes those too, but CREPEY LIDS. Crinkly, like seersucker (or plissé, if you're really old).

And what is Kryptonite for crepey lids? SHIMMER. If you're a blue-eyed, bright shadow wimp like me, you tend to stick to browns. You know, brown+blue=pop! Ostensibly. Even if I could find a nice brown shadow without shimmer (and they're damnably rare, let me tell you), another problem rears up...

Just about every.damn.brown.shadow out there had RED undertones. The kind that make you look like you've been up all night, sniffing coke and eyeballing guys with questionable morals. (Do people even snort coke any more? I haven't been on scene in sooo long...anyway...)

In comes Maybelline with their three buck Mocha (something or other) eyeshadow single. I'm too lazy to get off the bed and give you the exact name. But it has the word "Mocha" in it. Hey, I said I'm old. And I had knee surgery too...okay, it was three months ago. I'm just lazy.

I'm in Wal Mart, doing the bimonthly family shopping trip, with an enormously bulging basket, wanting to buy SOMETHING for myself, so I grabbed this, registered it was essentially matte, and threw it on top of the other stuff. I didn't have high hopes, not at all.

A few days later, I actually have a few minutes to futz with my makeup, so I start playing. And holy cow, here's a buildable, mostly matte brown with NO RED TONES. I can use it as a wash of color, darken it at the outer corners, wet it as eyeliner, yikes holycrapnoWAY!!! Hubby heard my uncharacteristic squealing in the bathroom,and came charging in, ready to kill whatever fearsome beastie was threatening his woman. When I explained it was the eyeshadow, you can imagine the look I got.

Men. They just don't understand. After all those hours with him, spent looking for the perfect...whatever...for his car/motorcycle/computer, you'd think he'd GET my makeup obsession. But no.

Downside is (and isn't there always a downside) that it will crease - and formidably so - if you don't use a primer. I do, and problem solved. I have finally found a matte-ish (and I keep saying that because it has the lightest of satin finishes, but no shimmer) brown shadow to pair with my WNW HG, Brulee, and I've dropped at least three steps from my makeup routine. I've noticed that as I have gotten older, I still want to look pretty...I just don't want to spend an hour doing it. Thumbs up and five lippes.

I have many of this shadows ~ Earthly Taupe, Champagne Fizz, Linen, Tranquil Sands, Silver Lining, Silken Taupe and Antique Jade. The lighter shades are actually the best highlighters that I have found.

My two favorites are Earthly Taupe and Champagne Fizz. Earthly Taupe is great for a naked matte look as an all over color wash. It works perfectly with eyeliner for a no makeup look. Champagne Fizz was a matte shade, but the newest one I purchased was shimmer, which is a total disappointment. This was may favorite brow highlight. These shades are getting harder and harder to find. It appears that Maybelline is pushing their quads vs. single shades.

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Review for Champagne Fizz. This is a beautiful skin toned shadow. It creates a lovely neutral eye base by evening out minor discoloration. Perfect to apply other shadow over or leave as is. It is called matte, but is not a true matte, there is just enough glow to it to keep it from looking powdery and flat. Packaging is not very good, but price and shadow is.

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Medium

So, I dont know what everyone elses problem is with this product but I LOVE these shadows. I have so many of the singles and quads. They are VERY pigmented! I always apply my eyeshadows wet or with primer under them which I dont know why anyone wouldnt. Most shadow dont last very long or show up very well without a little bit of water or primer! These are extremely cheap and they work well if you apply them like i stated above. When done that way it lasts ALL day without creasing and also the color stays true! AND its so affordably that you can get alot of colors! Look out for coupons in the paper also to make them even cheaper!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I bought jade it is really pretty. Formula is great, no fall out, great creamy formula. I would buy more colors.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Wow. They reformulated this, huh. Well then, I think mine has been sitting around for a long long time, since its in black packaging. Eyeshadow monos just last way too long! But no matter what, I always keep this around because mine (kola nut) is just such a great colour for me, perfectly pigmented and shimmered. Too bad, I don't think its around anymore... It was so cheap too.

wow, i'm surprised that the ratings are so low on this product. this is really the only brand of eyeshadow that i will let grace my eyelids these days... why? it's affordable. it NEVER creases, and i don't have to wear foundation and/or powder under it. it is highly pigmented, so i'm not tugging on my eyelids trying to get color, yet at the same time you can go for a more sheer look as well by not applying as much. 3) it actually helps keep my eyes moisturized, as opposed to flaking, and making them feel dry and cakey, and just uncomfortable, in fact, i feel better with it on. i dunno, call me crazy. the one thing i'd appreciate, is a larger/better color selection! i won't wear any other eye shadows, so it leaves me kind of limited in that aspect, and it doesn't help that i'm a very, very fair redhead, ugh! oh, and don't ever use those crappy little sticks they provide in the packaging... or you are just asking for trouble. i actually use a really skinny/soft eyeshadow brush, just so that i can be more precise... this eyeshadow stays on so good that if you mess, up you are screwed unless you wash your face, so be careful, and start by applying conservatively with a smaller brush! ooo, and the packaging alwaaays breaks... the lids pop off within the first two seconds of looking at 'em. seriously!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

i just purchased urban brown and i already had night sky and i love them, the colors go on so nice i use urban brown(210) for a natural day time look since my skin tone is deep caramel and i use night sky for a smoky eye!! they go on smooth and even i think wanna get more asap, i definately recommend this product

As far as color intensity, there probably is much better... but I'm not complaining. But as for staying power, it is definitely the best out there. Oh I love the colors that expensive brands such as MAC have, but I can't use them no matter how much I try. They creased horribly within an hour or two... even with primer! Expert eyes last forever (over 24-hrs) without creasing... and I don't need to use primer anymore. I bought these in every single color.
I recommend this product for those with oily skin or if you have problems with your shadow creasing.

I have 2 ExpertWear Monos in Spring Green and I Love Lilac. I put it on at 7 AM and this eyeshadow still looks great at 7 PM, it doesn`t crease at all and doesn`t fade (I always use a foundation).
The only one reason that stops me from buying more Maybelline products, is that they test on animals :(