Maybelline Expert Eyes Eye Shadow

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Oh my GOD

I finally found my perfect matte brown eyeshadow. And...whaaaat? It's MAYBELLINE?

Okay, so I'm *ahem* older. I'm 41. What does that mean, class? (everyone in unison) WRINKLES!!! Nooo, not wrinkles...well, yes those too, but CREPEY LIDS. Crinkly, like seersucker (or plissé, if you're really old).

And what is Kryptonite for crepey lids? SHIMMER. If you're a blue-eyed, bright shadow wimp like me, you tend to stick to browns. You know, brown+blue=pop! Ostensibly. Even if I could find a nice brown shadow without shimmer (and they're damnably rare, let me tell you), another problem rears up...

Just about every.damn.brown.shadow out there had RED undertones. The kind that make you look like you've been up all night, sniffing coke and eyeballing guys with questionable morals. (Do people even snort coke any more? I haven't been on scene in sooo long...anyway...)

In comes Maybelline with their three buck Mocha (something or other) eyeshadow single. I'm too lazy to get off the bed and give you the exact name. But it has the word "Mocha" in it. Hey, I said I'm old. And I had knee surgery too...okay, it was three months ago. I'm just lazy.

I'm in Wal Mart, doing the bimonthly family shopping trip, with an enormously bulging basket, wanting to buy SOMETHING for myself, so I grabbed this, registered it was essentially matte, and threw it on top of the other stuff. I didn't have high hopes, not at all.

A few days later, I actually have a few minutes to futz with my makeup, so I start playing. And holy cow, here's a buildable, mostly matte brown with NO RED TONES. I can use it as a wash of color, darken it at the outer corners, wet it as eyeliner, yikes holycrapnoWAY!!! Hubby heard my uncharacteristic squealing in the bathroom,and came charging in, ready to kill whatever fearsome beastie was threatening his woman. When I explained it was the eyeshadow, you can imagine the look I got.

Men. They just don't understand. After all those hours with him, spent looking for the perfect...whatever...for his car/motorcycle/computer, you'd think he'd GET my makeup obsession. But no.

Downside is (and isn't there always a downside) that it will crease - and formidably so - if you don't use a primer. I do, and problem solved. I have finally found a matte-ish (and I keep saying that because it has the lightest of satin finishes, but no shimmer) brown shadow to pair with my WNW HG, Brulee, and I've dropped at least three steps from my makeup routine. I've noticed that as I have gotten older, I still want to look pretty...I just don't want to spend an hour doing it. Thumbs up and five lippes.

I cannot understand the glowing reviews, because this is one of the worst, if not THE absolute WORST eyeshadow I've ever used. Smooth & blendable my ass! I have the black one w/sparkles & the turquoise one, and both of them are chalky, powdery, and somehow manage to flake & get all over the place no matter how carefully I apply them. You know how some shadows harden & solidify in the pan & you have to scrape off the top layer to get any product on your brush? Yeah, these will do that after ONE USE. And when I actually manage to get any color on my lids, it transfers all over the rest of my eyelid & rubs off.

Truly, truly terrible. It's hard to screw up eyeshadow, I mean, it's just colored powder, right? How hard can it be to make decent eyeshadow? Well, obviously Maybelline can't figure it out. Don't EVER buy these shadows. If you want cheap makeup, go with Cover Girl or Jane.

Funny... the overall rating here is bad but there are a lot of shining reviews. Regardless, I HATE this eye shadow. I have the duo in "grey matters", which I bought to help me achieve a smokey eye. I have never been happy with it! The brush it comes with is crap, yes, but even with my nice brush it doesn't work well! The powder is not at all silky, very dry and doesn't go on smooth. Plus, whenever I try to put it on, WAY more product flakes and gets under my eyes than on my lids. This is especially bad with a color like grey because it makes me look like I have dark circles! Plus it's too much sparkle (and I am not normally against sparkle) with not enough pigment. The glitter is WAY too chunky and obvious, not shimmery and subtle enough. And it doesn't blend nicely!
Nothing good to say about this except that it's cheap. I will throw this out as soon as I get a new grey shadow. This is the first product I have not been worried about wasting.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Thank God I got this on sale. This eyeshadow constantly annoys me, and I've given it many chances to redeem itself. There's several things wrong with it: 1) The brush is completely useless, and you'll either have to use your own brushes or your fingers. 2) The colour I have, Chambray Blue, is not very pigmented. Plus it doesn't look good on me, but that's possibly irrelevant for you. 3) It wears off very quickly, and leaves only the shimmer behind, which is a LOT of shimmer. It doesn't look shimmery when it's mixed with the eyeshadow, but when the eyeshadow rubs off (which is quickly), it leaves behind a mess of sparkles. 4) After a little bit of use, it looked like this: It's all lumpy and hard in some spots, and this was after I cleaned it up a bit. Ugh. Will not repurchase. continued >>

I have many of this shadows ~ Earthly Taupe, Champagne Fizz, Linen, Tranquil Sands, Silver Lining, Silken Taupe and Antique Jade. The lighter shades are actually the best highlighters that I have found.

My two favorites are Earthly Taupe and Champagne Fizz. Earthly Taupe is great for a naked matte look as an all over color wash. It works perfectly with eyeliner for a no makeup look. Champagne Fizz was a matte shade, but the newest one I purchased was shimmer, which is a total disappointment. This was may favorite brow highlight. These shades are getting harder and harder to find. It appears that Maybelline is pushing their quads vs. single shades.

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Review for Champagne Fizz. This is a beautiful skin toned shadow. It creates a lovely neutral eye base by evening out minor discoloration. Perfect to apply other shadow over or leave as is. It is called matte, but is not a true matte, there is just enough glow to it to keep it from looking powdery and flat. Packaging is not very good, but price and shadow is.

I got these eye shadows on sale. I bought a purple, aqua blue color, darker blue, a green, & a silver. What a waste of money! The colors look pretty but it does not show up like that on my eye. It's spotty & sheer. It takes a lot of eye shadow packed on to get some color. I was pretty disappointed . Wouldn't buy again.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

This is one of the best drugstore eye shadows I have used. The colors are nice and they actually have good pigment. You can see the color! They don't crease and last all day. I usually get the duo. I would recommend these. They're inexpensive but still have quality.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Wow. They reformulated this, huh. Well then, I think mine has been sitting around for a long long time, since its in black packaging. Eyeshadow monos just last way too long! But no matter what, I always keep this around because mine (kola nut) is just such a great colour for me, perfectly pigmented and shimmered. Too bad, I don't think its around anymore... It was so cheap too.

wow, i'm surprised that the ratings are so low on this product. this is really the only brand of eyeshadow that i will let grace my eyelids these days... why? it's affordable. it NEVER creases, and i don't have to wear foundation and/or powder under it. it is highly pigmented, so i'm not tugging on my eyelids trying to get color, yet at the same time you can go for a more sheer look as well by not applying as much. 3) it actually helps keep my eyes moisturized, as opposed to flaking, and making them feel dry and cakey, and just uncomfortable, in fact, i feel better with it on. i dunno, call me crazy. the one thing i'd appreciate, is a larger/better color selection! i won't wear any other eye shadows, so it leaves me kind of limited in that aspect, and it doesn't help that i'm a very, very fair redhead, ugh! oh, and don't ever use those crappy little sticks they provide in the packaging... or you are just asking for trouble. i actually use a really skinny/soft eyeshadow brush, just so that i can be more precise... this eyeshadow stays on so good that if you mess, up you are screwed unless you wash your face, so be careful, and start by applying conservatively with a smaller brush! ooo, and the packaging alwaaays breaks... the lids pop off within the first two seconds of looking at 'em. seriously!