benefit Cosmetics Dr Feelgood

2.4

Corn Starch Modified, Diethylene Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Neopentyl Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Isosteryl Meopentanoate, Silica, Polyethylene, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Carnauba (Copernicia Cerifera) Wax, Tridecyl Trimelitate, Diethylene Glycol Diisononanoate, Chamomile (Anthemis Nobili) Flower Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Linoleate, Ascorbyl Palmitate

I'm sure you've read about the packaging before but I'll give a brief description. It's a sliver tin, a bit bigger than a Vaseline tin, but very much still handbag size. The first time I tried Dr Feel Good I was wearing make up so I dabbed it over it. The instructions on the back of the tin state "Pat and smooth over makeup with its accompanying song. Or simply wear it alone". From those instructions it sounds to me like the main use of it is supposed to be over make up.

My first comment would be never, ever 'smooth' this over make up, as it's simply going to take your make up off and make it patchy. I went for the 'pat' method and although my make up looked not too badly disturbed, the sponge came away looking like I'd just applied foundation with it. With that much foundation transferring to the sponge it is obviously taking it off your face even if you do dab it, which is definitely not a good thing, unless perhaps you've overdone the make up and want to tone it down a little.
First thing I noticed upon applying it was the scent. The best way of describing it I think, is a light floral lemon scent, if there is such a thing as a floral lemon! It does smell really nice, perhaps a little like lemon sherbet and although it isn't a heavy smell it isn't one you have to be trying to smell to get a whiff of. I asked my brother to smell my face, he smelt it and made a sort of grunt, but don't worry, I think he just found it weird that his sister was asking him to smell her face. I think it meant; "oh right great yeah your face smells a little bit" or something along those lines. It wasn't a "wow that smells nice" grunt, but it wasn't a "eurgh what's that disgusting smell" grunt either.
Next I felt my face and it really did feel very velvety soft. It felt matte & smooth & so soft. First impressions were good. I decided, due to the make up transference that I probably wouldn't use this when wearing make up but opt for the latter "simply wear it alone" option.
Looking in the mirror showed me very little at all. I was glad my make up wasn't completely ruined, but I definitely didn't see any positive effects. I really tried. I kept looking, examining, are my pores smaller, is my skin more refined, does it look like it's been miraculously transformed? The answer to all was no. It hadn't, visually at least, done anything. I'm not sure entirely what change I'd been expecting to see, but I expected it to do something as it is a cosmetic.
The tin boasts that this "invisible refiner" (top marks for the description invisible at least), is blended with Vitamin C. Research would tell you that it is one of the very few topical agents that is backed by a "fair amount" of scientific evidence in it's effectiveness against fine lines & wrinkles - however, I study Biochemistry at University & know for a fact that there is no way Vitamin C can go into your skin via your skin, only from your diet. So don't go expecting miracles. There is also the fact that when exposed to air not only can Vitamin C actually become ineffective but it can be potentially harmful (potential to increase the formation of free radicals).
I'm not exactly sure where Dr Feelgood goes, as it certainly doesn't seem to sink in, but within an hour of wearing the scent will have gone and the 'soft' feel along with it. It essentially sits on the skin and 'fakes' soft. As a base under makeup, it didn't keep anything on as the formula is essentially just waxy. The sponge gets dirty very quickly - you'll probably have to wash it after each time you use it.
This retails for 19.50 - too expensive for something that does nothing. However, it may mattify your face after cleansing/toning, if that interests you. To sum it up, I guess I fall into that latter category of ambivalence and mild disappointment towards this product, what else can you feel when there is nothing to hate or love about it?

I think they got their hands on a job lot of Mortician's Wax and thought, what the hell can we do with this? Mix in some Cillit Bang, shove it into some shoe-polish tins with a nice picture on top and Hey Presto! Another overpriced bit of tat on the market for fools like me to fork out on. A triumph of marketing/packaging over wisdom. Well done BeneFit!

This is one of those products that has no purpose existing. It's completely useless.
it did nothing for me except make me feel really dumb for buying it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I bought Dr. Feelgood about 15 years ago. It was one of my first purchases from a high end makeup line after I got a "real" job, so that alone makes it memorable to me. It's also so terrible, bordering on useless, that it's still memorable to me all these years later. I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, but bad beauty product memories stay for life.

All these years later, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around what this product is actually suppose to do. Dr. Feelgood is a clearish balm that comes in an irritating tin that is impossible to open and has sharp edges around the lid. It comes with a circular sponge that immediately attracts and holds on to every piece of fuzz, dirt or substance that it may come into contact with. You can actually feel the bacteria and other cooties growing on the sponge. The balm is supposedly some kind of miracle product that "finishes" your skin - blurs lines, diminishes large pores, sets makeup and all that jive. All I remember this doing is giving me an oddly greasy and waxy look. There was no finishing or blurring to speak of unless you consider having a layer of dryish, greasy wax on your face "finished". I also found it impossible to keep little hairs and dust off my face. Just like the sponge this comes with, Dr. Feelgood is a little hair and dust magnet. In retrospect, this is probably not a product for people with dry skin. It may work wonders on people who have very oily skin and need to blot throughout the day but this did nothing for me except make me look weird and dirty. That's rather the opposite look I've always gone for.

Even though I bought this many moons ago, I hung on to it for quite a long time because I couldn't reconcile that it was a dud. I tried making it work on and off for years but never could get the hang of it and never got used to the icky, filmy feeling. In a way, this product was prophetic of all the Benefit products I tried - they seem great in theory but like Lemon-Aid, BeneTint, BeneTint Balm, and You Rebel, they just don't translate for me. In fact, every time I see a new Benefit product that I think I might like, a memory of Dr. Feelgood comes flying back and I move on.

That said, this obviously works for some people out there as it's still a part of Benefit's line and I've read glowing reviews on Sephora, but this was a bad choice for me.

Oh boy, it's called Dr Feelgood but it makes me feel the complete opposite. I went to the Benefit counter asking for a powder to keep my skin matte throughout the day, and the lady recommended I try this balm, I blame myself since I was in a hurry I picked it up.

Firstly, it claims that you can use it before or after makeup.

So I tried it before makeup, after moisturizing my skin I applied this to my face. Note that you have to press this onto your face very hard so it fills in the pores and attaches to your face, if you try to blend it or any other method, it balls up and gets very flaky! It made my face a bit matte and a tiny bit smooth but that was it, it doesn't control oil very well though.

Trying it on top of makeup to try and keep the oil and shine at bay throughout the day makes it look like a complete disaster. Every application I try, whether it's blotting, dabbing, smearing, it always leaves specks and flakes of the product and it gathers at the sides of my nose making it look VERY unpleasant! I've tried so many times to make this product work for me because there is a lot of product in the pot and it was quite pricey but I just can't do it. Also, the way it's packaged is strange. If you use it on top of makeup and press it back into the product, it transfers and stains your balm which makes it very unhygienic and can break you out with the bacteria that has gathered between the sponge and the balm.

Also, it smells like a cleaner with a very strong unpleasant citrus scent.

I'm sorry but even after multiple tries I just cannot make this balm work, it sits at the bottom of my makeup stash untouched, maybe I've missed something?

As a benefit employee can i just suggest that people with oily skin steer clear of Dr feelgood also use it under makeup as apposed to over.. this will seal in moisture from moisturiser and provide a primer like base for you foundation.. pat onto the skin using the sponge.. dragging not recommended!! :)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Ok people, enough with the bad reviews about this product. This is one of the best out there! It should DEFINITELY be used with a synthetic foundation BRUSH. Sponge absorbs too much product, your fingers apply too much product! common sense here. It works the best under makeup. It has cornstarch and silica, which are both natural and should NOT clog pores. A little goes a long way. This will probably last you years. If wearing mmu, this helps a huuuge deal. You're not buffing your mmu all around your face into the air instead on your face. If you do get greasy by the end of the day, use a blotting paper and very light translucent powder on top. This has not given me any problems, and im as oily as they come. I mean if the Middle East ever runs out of oil, they can stop by my face and pump some out.

Um, really? They're asking $35 or something for this crap? Put it over foundation, it's like vaseline or lip balm, and it does absolutely nothing.
AND, it has retinyl palmitate, which when worn in the sun breaks down and is carcinogenic. Bullcrap times ten!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I haven't written a review in forever, but I had to break radio silence to talk about this divisive product. I bought this on a whim, then read reviews, but I'm surprised to find myself using it every day and really liking it.

If you've read the reviews, one thing is clear: Dr. Feelgood works for different people in different ways. Some people insist it goes under makeup, others that it goes over makeup. My recommendation: experiment and see what works for you.

As a minimalist who hates foundation and usually has to blot oil two or three times during a work day (despite having dry skin), here's what works for me: Dr. Feelgood on bare skin (after moisturizing) alone controls oil, evens skin tone, and makes me look polished but very natural. When I use it on bare skin and then top with pressed powder, it gives me a really nice, near-flawless look with decent oil control. The best for oil control is when I use primer (good old Monistat anti-chafing gel) and then Dr. Feelgood on top. I don't have to blot oil at all throughout the day. Maybe it's weird to use two primers, but the combination really does the trick for an all day matte look. Of course, if these reviews prove anything, it's that your mileage WILL vary.

When I first decided to write this review, I was sure I would select that I would not by this product again for one simple reason: THE SMELL. Good grief, is the smell strong (like furniture polish as others have said). However, after a couple of weeks of use, I still don't love the smell but I'm used to it, and I like the results enough to deal with the scent and buy the product again. If Benefit would create a lighter scent or unscented version of this product, I would buy Dr. Feelbood forever. The smell is the only reason I gave this three stars instead of four.

UPDATE - I changed this to four lippies because I've repurchased it TWICE since the last review and it turns out, I freaking love this stuff. I pat it on over foundation (I started wearing foundation, too) and my face looks great all day. And I did get used to the smell.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I'm on my first tin of Dr Feelgood, and since I've started to hit pan, I thought I'd share my thoughts on it -
The Good:
I love how it makes my face feel so silky smooth and soft that I just want to keep touching it - it does a fairly good job on minimising pores, although the Porefessional does an even better job. I was expecting to breakout from this product, but I haven't! (And this is coming from someone who's had to use prescription medication for acne.) I find that it works very well as a primer for liquid foundation and that's how I usually use this. It gives an even, slightly dewy/ semi-matte finish which I like. It's also handy for touch-ups during the day when my makeup starts to go cakey from my oily skin - I just swipe a bit of Dr Feelgood with my finger and dab/ lightly press it onto whatever need fixing and voila! evens out creases, and makes makeup look smooth and fresh again. I've found this better than using powder (which usually makes things look heavier/patchy/cracked/flaky depending on the exact powder).
Its also in a handy tin to carry around easily and has a lovely citrus scent.
The Bad:
The sponge is really annoying and hard to get out of the tin. It tends to hold onto a lot of product but doesn't apply very efficiently, leaving product building up in it. It needs regular washing.
It doesn't work very well in covering up lines.
If you want to use this straight after foundation (to give a very natural dewy finish and smooth enough to blend blusher/highlighter), you'll have to get the product on the sponge and then pat VERY gently so that you don't cake your face or just wipe off your foundation.
Overall:
Even though there's some tedious aspects to making Dr Feelgood work for me, I'm addicted to the feel, the smell, and the way makes my makeup look. Will definitely repurchase despite the price, because this is as close to flawless looking skin as I can get I think (think pores, red patches, acne scars, and oily skin with some dry patches).