L'Oreal Voluminous in Carbon Black

L'Oreal Voluminous in Carbon Black

3.5

on 7/19/2017 12:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I like all the 'Voluminous' mascaras that come in the 'original' style tube...(most of the flankers that come in the fancy tubes are manure even though they are in the Voluminous line). This one, Carbon Black, is decent but not amazing. The original tube Voluminous products are all a decent replica of Diorshow. No, it's not a dupe, meaning it's not exact. But it's close enough for me considering the price is WILDLY different. Depending on where you shop, Voluminous is $20 to $30 cheaper but it's not $30 worse than Diorshow, so, um, Voluminous, please. Carbon Black IS pretty black, and is workable. However, where this formula (Carbon Black) fails against Diorshow and regular Voluminous is it is 'too much' for lower lashes. Every time, they look awesome and long and black....UNTIL they smudge like mad and I look like a football player. If I wear Voluminous Carbon Black, either lower lashes go bare or I put something else on the bottom lashes. Strangely, considering how smudgy it is on the lowers, it's hard to take off completely. Eye makeup remover and a makeup removing wipe will not do it 100%. Micellar water on cotton rounds will not do it. Face cleanser will not do it. It must be multiple methods and more than a couple passes, and often I still wake up smudged. What!!! I wouldn't RULE OUT repurchasing, but I'd be more likely to repurchase original Voluminous instead due to the lower lash smudging and the labor of removal.

Not great, not horrible. I've purchased this a few times, but have noticed more recently that it is REALLY clumpy coming out of the tube (especially with new tubes). I've got pretty dense eyelashes so it makes it difficult to get an even application. Doesn't irritate my eyes, but definitely flakes after a few hours of wear.

I find it takes FOREVER to remove - even with heavy-duty things like coconut oil. Sometimes I still wake up in the morning with it smeared beneath my lower lashes because my double cleanse didn't remove all of it. There are better drugstore mascaras out there, but since you should replace yours every three months, it's not the least usable mascara in the world.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Fantastic drugstore mascara! It works every bit as well - if not better - than some of the higher end brands. I'd say it was right on par with Smashbox Full Exposure mascara. A tube seems to last a lot longer than your average mascara which was another huge plus! I don't have any problems with clumping or smudging. I sometimes use it along with the L'Oréal lash primer for that added oomph to the lashes. It gives fantastic volume! Now that I've discovered this gem I'll not go back to shelling out double$digits on mascaras.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I really wanted to like this mascara. I like the packaging, the brush, the way it makes my lashes look in the short-term - it gives some length and nice volume and makes my lashes look pretty good. It doesn't hold a curl, however. The biggest problem is that it smudges like CRAZY even when I'm indoors with air-conditioning on, after just a couple hours.

amazing mascara. very black and does a great job lengthening.

on 6/16/2017 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

My lashes are long and straight, thin and lightly coloured. They usually hold a curl all day.

This mascara is a waste of money for me. The brush is straight and difficult to get to the root of the lash.
The formula is too runny and wet, it clumps lashes together in thin spikes. I know how to use mascara properly, and can always work to get a good look no matter which one I use but this mascara takes nearly 5 minutes to get looking right and need to go in with a q-tip.

The mascara isn't particularly dark either. It does nothing for volume. It is okay for length if that is what you're concerned with, but it won't hold a curl either.

0/5 for me

on 6/15/2017 11:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Love, love, love, LOVE this mascara. LOVE IT. I have lashes that are naturally curled already (please don't hurt me), so curl is not an issue for me. However, VOLUME is something I am always looking for more of, and I usually end up layering 2 different mascaras over each other in order to achieve the look I want without getting clumps. Normally I layer on a "thinner" mascara that lengthens, something like Lash Blast (sorry y'all, it does zero for me in terms of volume), then pile a volumizing mascara on top.

This mascara is so fantastic I can use it all by itself, and in 2 coats, I have full, thick, black separated lashes that don't look spidery OR clumpy. LOVE this stuff.

I prefer this mascara over:
-Armani Eyes to Kill
-Benefit They're Real
-Smashbox Full Exposure
-Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir
-Maybelline Full n Soft
-Cover Girl Lash Blast
-Cover Girl Lash Blast Clump Crusher
-Jordana Best Lash

That is not even a complete list of all the mascaras I have tried, those just happen to be the ones I liked best in my rotation. Voluminous Carbon Black has knocked them all out of the rotation. It is AMAZING. Love this stuff. If they every discontinue it I will weep.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

For most beauty products I ignore the description on the package, because I assume it's hyped up...except for mascara. I've found (with maybelline at least) that their legethening mascaras WILL lengthen my lashes, volume mascaras will add volume, and mascaras that claim to thicken lashes will thicken my lashes.

This formula doesn't hold up to its claims, and doesn't meet my requirements for mascara.

So this formula did add volume, and held up a curl for a few hours, it has that going for it. My problem is that there were clumps on several of my lashes, and I tried to prevent them by using a lash comb, and using a very thin layer of mascara. This didn't help. Several of the lashes became stuck together.

I prefer feathered, long lashes. I do like some thickening and voluminous formulas, and many add that extra oomph and my lashes look good. My lashes just don't look good with this.

on 5/4/2017 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a fantastic mascara - for top lashes. It gives me length and holds a curl, my two key requirements. Unfortunately it's horrible for lower lashes. Instant raccoon eyes! As long as I use something on the lower ones, this one may be my favorite ever.

on 4/17/2017 3:58:00 PM

I did my research about mascaras that don't smudge and this came highly recommended. And so far I have been happy with it. It has been getting along with my oily lids very well and I even took it for a spin outdoors for a power walk and despite the wind and sun and some sweat there was very little to no smudging present. It did better than my previous "best so far", Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express in waterproof. Before that I used the non-waterproof version but there was not much difference between them, both very smudgy on me. Only thing that bugs me so far is the packaging as the brush is kind of messy to use, it gets too much product stuck on it and feels a bit too long to be handy but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Update: Wore it all day today and inthe evening it was all smudged under my eyes. Oh well.