Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Pearl

4.4

Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Homosalate, Glyceryl Stearate, Octyldodecanol, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Trilaureth-4 Phosphate, Hexylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Cetyl Alcohol, Hamamelis Virginiana (Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract), Ceteareth-12, Ceteareth-20, Persea Gratissima (Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil), Phenoxyethanol, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract), Fructose, Glucose, Sucrose, Urea, Dextrin, Alanine, Glutamic Acid, Aspartic Acid, Hexyl Nicotinate, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Barium Sulfate, Parfum (Fragrance) and may contain: [ /- Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Iron Oxides CI 77491, Red 40 CI 16035, Blue 1 CI 42090, Bismuth Oxychloride CI 77163, Mica].

This is a review for the powder version:
I was hoping that the colour "pearl" would give me a neutral, natural sheen without adding a yellowish tone which other Becca highlighters have. Unfortunately, the problem I find with the powder version is that it's just too pigmented! - instead of a sheen which completely blends into the skin and appears and disappears when I move my head, it left me with a stripe of colour which was visible in all except the most forgiving lighting. In case of "pearl" it looked exactly like the "blast from the 90s" ultra-frosty white eyeshadow, and being pale didn't help much.
In terms of shine vs glitter, it's pretty good or alright, depending on your skin: I couldn't see any chunky glitter on the parts where my skin is smooth (the bridge of the nose, browbone, etc.), but when the skin on my cheekbones was getting dry I could see the powdery texture and glitter emphasizing the fine lines and pores. Anyone older and/or with uneven skin texture may want to test this in different lighting before buying.
I can still see why it's so popular - it's great if you're looking for something more extreme, you'll never feel like you're not getting enough payoff, it looks nice in the evening light, it's the softest pressed powder product I've ever had, so any brush/finger picks it up very generously (though this has a downside - see below), and it seems to photograph well. But...it's just not for me. I couldn't tell if this is making me look better or worse, I was a bit scared to use it and was only reaching out for it when I was wearing no makeup except for the base and mascara, or else it would instantly give me an "overdone" look. I already assumed that I just have all powder highlighters, but I've since found one that works great in daylight, can be built up to quite a glare, and always looks seamless (...thanks, Dior luminizer).
On a more objective note, this highlighter started developing cracks quickly and broke into pieces the first time I tried travelling with it (nothing else in the same makeup bag broke). I pressed it back with some alcohol, but it broke again shortly afterwards, and this time I didn't take it outside of my bathroom. And, judging by many other reviews, I'm not the only one!

This is an expensive highlighter. Definitely not for the faint of heart. With that said, there are a few things that make Becca worth it:

- You get a LOT of product.
- This color in particular gives a great shimmer without making you look dry or flushed.
- It stays on all day except under reasonable conditions.

My only major critique is that it does feel a bit heavy for me after awhile. After a long day, I very much want to take it off. That might be because my skin does get pretty dry in the cheekbone area.

Sometimes this is the perfect highlight but most of the time this is not what I reach for. If your completely fair/ going for an ice queen Elsa kinda look this would be amazing for you. Whenever I do blue or purple eye makeup this is the highlight I use & I love it for those looks. I am fair just not porcelain, and this leaves a white stripe if I'm not careful. The powder is very soft and its easy to get too much on your brush. The perfect brush I've found for this is mac #137 it leaves a gentle dusting of highlight instead of a stripe. I have the opal color as well which is okay but I actually prefect other brands lately than becca (I know)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Really pretty. I've been stopped on the street and complimented on this highlighter. It's beautiful, definitely eye-catching so I wear it when I want to take it up a notch and I wear Anastasia "starlight" for a similar effect but when I want a more subtle look. These two are the best highlighters I've found for my cool-toned fair complexion.

I adore this. It's beautiful on my fair skin. It adds a gentle glow. I felt like it was starting to settle into my fine lines until I sprayed Mac Fix + on the brush before applying and it was a total game changer for me. So smooth, light and a creamy finish.

I have the poured creme and the liquid, however I have had the powder before as well. For me I'm not a fan of powder highlighters so I prefer the liquid and creme; I find order highlighters to be too shimmery, not last at all and I like a glossy look. I find the liquid and cream to be similar but the liquid is glossy and the cream just has a really nice reflect. Both the liquid and cream aren't shimmery, they just give a nice sheen. With that being said I feel that these versions are natural but still very glowey at the same time. They look fantastic. Would highly recommend. I think people tend to ignore these just because there are a ton more powder highlighters on the market and most people think creams and liquids are a pain, plus the beauty community mostly talks about the powders. Anyway, I think that you should definitely give either the liquid or cream a shot.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This is the most gorgeous pearlescent highlight I've ever used. Hands down. Worth the money. I have this in the pressed version. It's a super buttery texture....velvet soft and pigmented but not to a garish extent. It's definitely a buildable product so you control how dramatic a highlight you want. Applied lightly, this provides the most gorgeous "illuminated from within" glow. Layered, it becomes this "fleeky", blinding, bright ray of light originating from yo face. It lasts all day for me. Blends like a dream over liquid or powder foundation. Adds a radiance and new life to old blushes as a topper. It really looks like crushed pearls in the pan, really gorgeous! I know some folk have provided cheaper dupes for this product but I've tried many of these dupes only to find that the rare, crushed gemstone quality and super unique texture to this highlighting powder is undupable. I highly recommend this product!! xoxoxo

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Becca's highlighters never fail to deliver. I especially love the pressed formula. It gives a dramatic, yet believable glow (no obnoxious glitter chunks here) and is so incredibly finely milled that it never accentuates pores or gets cakey. Even on dry skin, it builds up smoothly and easily on the face. I think it's truly the gold standard of powder highlighters.

I own Pearl, Moonstone, and Opal, and although Moonstone theoretically fits my warm-toned skin the best, Pearl is starting to become my favorite due to its versatility. It's white, but not a stark white that's only usable by ~le pale princesses~. The shade is described as a "soft, luminescent white" and that is precisely what makes it such a wonderful color: there's just a barely perceptible hint of cool-toned beige that makes it blend in naturally with almost all skin tones. It's still obviously better suited for those on the lighter end of skin tone due to how light it is, but that subtle detail does make it a little closer to actually being a universal shade. It also works well as a sort of white mixer for highlighters; for example, Opal by itself is just a tiny bit too dark for me to use on its own, but when I swirl my brush with some Pearl, it lightens it up nicely without altering the color.

I absolutely recommend Becca's highlighters - in all the formulas and colors, honestly. They are well worth the hefty price.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I got a sample of this from Sephora (I avoid the Melbourne Central store like the plague, but I really wanted to try this).

It was impulse and I thought I had picked up a primer. I plastered it all over my face before some weekend event, only after putting on my foundation and setting powder did I realise that it was indeed a goddamn highlighter and not primer. I spent the whole day looking like a beacon of glistening sheen, a waxed car if you will.

However, using it for its intended purpose (a nice dab on the cheekbones, eyebrow bone and nose AFTER PRIMING + FOUNDATION lol) I can say this is definitely worth the money because a little goes a long way. Its good for dry skin too. Me likey and will definitely be purchasing.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

It's great for pale girls like me, and there's a lot of product, so i can use this for a long time, but it does make my skin look a little dry.