Guerlain Insolence

3.3

BHT

on 4/25/2016 4:17:00 AM

first of all...

I consider this site one of those sites where you can publicly read and place a lot of good things about good things:)
so I suggest that when you write about a product, perfume, or whatever, you really go through your how -to -place-a-review-on-MUA manual, and then write it...okay...

this picture(purple bottle) is Insolence edp, and I'm not trying to be poicky, I just emphasize things so banal that I just don't understand the way a review is placed...other picture is Insolence edt...a whole another perfume...
so my review is on Guerlain INSOLENCE EDT VERSION (first one so to say)....

absolutely the most unique berry/edible,vanilla,iris,violet cake you can imagine...puts all the fruitchuly liquids to shame...absolutely Guerlain, absolutely crazy and absolutely feminine...
if your craving for syrup such as Hot Couture by Givenchy,love parme violets, powder and iris with fruity undertones, this is a must buy...not try, but BUY...
it shall soon be very,very discontinued and the world will be loosing yet another Roucel's gems thanx to the neverending industry aberations...

this is how you make a gourmand/fruity/floral....

10+

(p.s. dear carybear,thank you for you know what**)

I fully admit I bought it blind, entirely because of Lica Turin's description in Perfumes A-Z. I don't believe Uncle Luca is right about everything, but he made this sound like something from outer space, plus it also sounded like it would be a niche-y fragrance, made with Guerlain style and materials. t's also astoundingly easy to find at excellent prices, so it seemed like a reasonable risk.

The juice is every bit as wackadoodle as Turin describes it. From the hissy little hairspray top note to the heart of (day)glowing, aldehydic violet (it truly *smells* purple!) and marzipan, to the intense, raspberry/red fruit drydown, this fragrance says "night at the club" to me.
These notes seem to bounce off in various accords of floral/gourmand violet that go on FOREVER. If this is a night at the club, it's a nice girl from a good home, and hanging VIP with bottle service. But there's still a disco ball.

I see this as an evening fragrance, at least for me, best worn out dancing or to shows when sweat, bodies and funk might require a nice refresher. I also agree with the other reviewers who warn that a tiny, tiny amount is plenty. I'm also thinking of layering it with Nars Body Glow to tame it a bit with some strong Tonka bean to get it closer to my skin.

if you're into edgy fragrances, you'll probably have a lot of fun with this,

To Read all 280 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/29/2015 12:15:00 PM

My sister bought me Insolence for my birthday it's such elegent fragrance I love this perfume I'm so glad you can order a bottle of Insolence from Macy's online since its been discontinued I will repurchase.

on 8/28/2015 5:30:00 PM

I love violet, so I thought I'd love this, I was wrong. It is indeed a violet scent, it's also a very powdery scent. So we have violet and baby powder (I can't make out any other notes) together, very synthetic smelling, and excruciatingly strong. It rivals Fracas in strength, actually. It is the second perfume (the first being the aforementioned Fracas) that made me actually recoil as I sniffed my wrist. My eyebrows nearly fell off.

Bottle is nice though.

on 2/15/2015 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

A bit of a departure from what is typically Guerlain, this is a bit sweet but not that cloying, nauseating sweet like some fragrances. Violet was predominant for me, though I did also pick up on that synthetic/chemical type scent. Overall, not a bad fragrance but lacks that classic sophistication of other fragrances by Guerlain. I find this more appropriate fro daytime wear than say Shalimar or Samsara.

on 12/20/2014 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

OMG! I just sprayed Guerlain Insolence on for the first time, and I can't wait to wash it off! It's so sweet it's gagging me. I wanted a violet perfume, but this is a chemical, harsh, in your face mess of a fragrance. It has some violet notes, but the chemical components overtake it. I can't believe Guerlain would put out a fragrance this disgusting. I believe this would last for a good 24 hours, it's that strong. Just terrible…I purchased it online, and it's going right back. If you are interested in this fragrance, try it first before purchasing.

on 12/18/2014 10:44:00 AM

Oh it's wonderfullllll... I think it's one of the best perfumes I have ever had. Sweet in just the right ammount. Different from these recent releases that seem to be all the same. It's comforting, feminine, I could smell it all day and I probably will.
I just wish it was stronger, but then again I wish it of all perfumes I own. The bottle is pretty but could be a lot more.
The color purple of the eau de parfum bottle is perfect, for the scent smells purple too.
Now I want a 500mL bottle of it please.

on 12/16/2014 12:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

It starts off smelling like candies. Berry candy. Then it gets quite powdery & the violets bloom. It smells like candied powdery violets. There's a whiff of citrus that develops the longer I wear it & It helps temper the sweetness in this perfume. I prefer the EDT of this to the EDP because it's less sweet & smells greener. It lasts a long time & has good sillage

on 11/25/2014 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Love it! Sweet, rich, deep, delicious Violet mix. This is for the EDP. When it first came out (actress Hillary Swank of "Million Dollar Baby" fame was its muse), I bought it but never wore it, thinking it too strong, so I gave it away.

Recently, I repurchased it and am sooooo glad I did! It's been one of my most often-worn fragrances of Fall-Winter 2014.

Violet has taken over my life this Fall-Winter. Insolence EDP (due to its berry topnotes) is a sweeter, fruitier violet scent than either Tom Ford Violet Blonde or Balenciaga Paris, both of which I also have and have been wearing a lot. When I want a woodsier, more chypre violet I'll wear the TF or BP -- but when I'm in the mood for a sweeter, fruitier violet (but still deep & rich), I'll wear Insolence EDP.

Launched in 2008, here are the notes for EDP, per parfumo.net:

Top Note - Red berries
Heart Notes - Iris, Orange blossom, Violet
Base Notes - Woods, Sandalwood, Tonka bean

Insolence EDP is becoming addictive -- and my enjoyment of it has snowballed to the point that even when I'm wearing something else that I like very much -- Insolence EDP is sometimes quietly nagging me to come back -- and I find myself running to spritz it on again -- mmm! Too bad it's becoming difficult to find, because I plan to buy more when my bottle runs out.

I'm currently in the throes of a love affair with all things Guerlain and one of my favourite aromas is the one that comes off their Les Voilettes translucent pressed powder. The search was on for a fragrance that smelled just like that. After checking with the Guerlain SA and googling, the consensus was that Insolence was the closest thing to it.
I ordered it and received it at the beginning of the week and I've worn it 3 times. I must say I really really do like this stuff ( I took a huge risk buying it sight un-smelled as it were, (they didn't have the EDP in stock at the only department store that sells it)) and more importantly I don't cause any offence or feelings of nausea when I walk past people. Just the opposite in fact: my husband likes it (and he's fussy), my daughter likes it (she's got good taste!) as do the friends I've bumped into and wafted my wrist under their noses. As for me, I'm walking around with my wrist glued to my nose enjoying the violet aroma ,for most of the day, when I think no-ones looking (don't want people thinking I'm weird now do I?).
Would I buy it again? Well bearing in mind that I do have a few perfumes lurking around the place, I think in all honesty, that I would!

Popular Fragrances