Alterna Hemp Seed Styling Mud

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Alterna Hemp Seed Styling Mud

4.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This was perfect to get a fun piecey look with my short, fine hair, without greasing it up and making it look filthy. I loved it for the first few days, and then I broke out in a terrible acne/rash along my hairline and particularly on the sides of my face where I have a few longer pieces that rest there.

I checked on the jar, and despite its organic-ness, it does has several comedogenic ingredients listed. I believe that in my case the oleth-3 was the main culprit which is a 5 for comedogenic properties and a 3 for irritation. If you've never had a bad reaction to a product, or if your hair doesn't touch your face, I'd probably still recommend it, but if you have sensitive, or acneic skin I'd avoid this like the plague.

Also, this is way expensive for a hair product. I'm going to try CHI Molding Clay now that my skin is finally healed. CHI isn't organic and does have petrolium-based products,(boo,) but it was the only hair mud I could find where nothing in it is considered highly comedogenic, so hopefully it won't break me out. CHI's product is also about half the price of Alterna's Styling Mud.

on 1/25/2006 11:11:00 AM

Pros:really great for a piece-y look.Keeps hair in place all day without weighing it down.Nice fragrance.
Cons:don't care for it being in a jar type container.Just don't like sticking my fingers into goo.Prefer a tube if at all possible.

on 11/29/2005 7:33:00 PM

I purchased this a few months ago and never really appreciated it until I started straightening my long, thick wavy hair. This is the last product I use after I flat iron. I rub a tiny bit between my palms and smooth it through my hair. It gets rid of the frizz and also smooths the choppy look that I sometimes get from my layers after I straighten. Great product!

on 4/26/2005 6:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I HATE hairspray and will do/try anything not to use it, so I almost wept with joy when I found this product (recommended by my stylist)!!! The perfect hair product... styles, molds, shapes, conditions.. all without stickiness or the greesies!

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Highly recommend for coarse, thick hair like I have. A little goes a long way and rub in between your fingers before applying!

on 8/31/2004 3:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I bought this after my hairdresser used it on me. At first I didn't think it made any difference but now I love it. I use it on my wet and dry hair to tame frizzies and provide non-sticky hold. Combined with phytodefrisant it tames my thick frizzy hair into nice curly waves. Received lots of compliments.

on 7/11/2004 1:18:00 AM

When I had really short pixie hair, I used this a lot. It was great, because the moisture really helped the bleached texture of the hair. A little dab did me.
Now, I have longer hair, and it doesn't work. Bleah. But I would almost use it as a body butter! I'd rub it in my cuticles and it worked great.
Haven't had any around for a couple of years, but I still remember the distinctive fragrance.
Good stuff.

on 7/12/2002 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Hooray! A product that works with my haircut. I have a pseudo-Meg Ryan, short, razor cut 'do with ends that flip up. It needs something to separate and hold, but the waxes and gels I've tried have just looked wrong, wrong, wrong. My hairdresser (Mary, who is a genius), tried this out on me after her salon went to Alterna products. To be honest, the smell was what sold me, but this stuff works great! The flippy bits in my hair are soft, movable and nicely separated, without looking like scary spikes. You should, however, be sparing with this stuff, since too much can cause a greasy look.

Popular Styling Products