Alterna Hemp Seed Styling Mud

Alterna Hemp Seed Styling Mud

4.3

on 10/1/2007 2:48:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have a love-hate relationship with this product. On one hand, it makes my hair feel like spun acrylic immediately after application, and for a time thereafter; on the other hand, it really does control frizz and add a *reasonable* amount of shine (meaning that you will not get the megawatt reflective qualities of a silicone-rich shine product but will, rather, get a rich, lustrous, fabu shine). I have very, very thick, exceedngly coarse, devoutly wavy (not quite curly, but almost impossible to straighten) hair. This actually makes it shiny, and -- even in Georgia -- tempers the frizz. In fact, this stuff applied to damp hair followed by a 20 minute car ride with the windows down yields the most fantastic, highly texturized, tousled beach hair that has ever perched atop my scalp. Too bad it feels like barbie hair. I suppose my conclusion is that it's magical, so long as I don't anticipate anyone attempting to run their fingers through my hair within 6-8 hours of application. I pobably won't buy it again straightaway, but I can't imagine finding anything that de-frizzes and shines so much to my liking, so I'm fairly certain I will return to it after a few failed attempts to surpass it. I should also add, for those olfactorily inclined, it smells EXACTLY like a funeral parlor -- heavy, dark rose and carnation. I happen to love it, but it's a very odd smell for a styling product. And I really can smell it for quite some time -- it does not fade quietly into the background. Not immediately, anyway.

on 10/9/2006 10:57:00 AM

I like the smell - smells natural and isn't cloying. Adds a BIT of shine and pieciness to my hair, but not enough for me to be totally satisfied, and I'm a realist. Not really for shaping the hair - the hold is minimal.

on 4/13/2006 12:20:00 AM

Yes, I love it. I've tried Phytodefrisant (used a lot and did little), Bed Head After Party (loved smell, hated outcome - still frizzy), Bumble Curl Creme (o.k., but have to use a lot and hit or miss on results), Biosilk (greasy hair, itchy scalp), Jonathan Dirt (too sticky to move from hand to hair). I've used Alterna for a week and I've been able to get good results every day. Really keeps frizz at bay and doesn't make it look dirty, greasy, matted, or stiff. So happy - thank you MUA reviewers! Update: Someone asked how to use the product so I'm pasting my answer here also - Hemp mud is on the pricey side especially since I went through a 4 oz. tub in a couple of months. But I do love it and will continue to buy it on ebay where it's cheaper. I wash my hair at night only so when I wake up it's not attractive at all. The top layer of my hair is frizzy but goes wavy if I have the right stuff. I start off by dampening my hands and running whatever 'other' product I have - Avon dry end serum, Tigi Bed Head, Avon straightening balm to get the waves going. Then I go for the Hemp Mud, rub it in my palms and start grabbing at all the outer layers of my hair. Then I let it 'sit' while I put on my makeup. If I see any frizzy spots after that, I get some more Mud and grab those areas. It somehow stays with me all day and keeps my hair from regressing to its frizzy state. You know how sometimes you have a product and it looks good in the a.m.? But as soon as you touch it in the middle of the day it breaks down? If I have Mud in my hair, I'm not afraid to dampen my hands and scrunch my hair to freshen the curl. It looks and feels like you spent some time at the beach. It gives texture. Hope this helps.
11/2007 Update: Use Pantene's Texturizing Pomade as a cheaper alternative. I use Pantene all over and then a touch of the more expensive Hemp on bangs, sides.

Popular Styling Products