Alterna Hemp Seed Styling Mud

Alterna Hemp Seed Styling Mud

4.7

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This was perfect to get a fun piecey look with my short, fine hair, without greasing it up and making it look filthy. I loved it for the first few days, and then I broke out in a terrible acne/rash along my hairline and particularly on the sides of my face where I have a few longer pieces that rest there.

I checked on the jar, and despite its organic-ness, it does has several comedogenic ingredients listed. I believe that in my case the oleth-3 was the main culprit which is a 5 for comedogenic properties and a 3 for irritation. If you've never had a bad reaction to a product, or if your hair doesn't touch your face, I'd probably still recommend it, but if you have sensitive, or acneic skin I'd avoid this like the plague.

Also, this is way expensive for a hair product. I'm going to try CHI Molding Clay now that my skin is finally healed. CHI isn't organic and does have petrolium-based products,(boo,) but it was the only hair mud I could find where nothing in it is considered highly comedogenic, so hopefully it won't break me out. CHI's product is also about half the price of Alterna's Styling Mud.

on 9/28/2009 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I was surprised at the number of reviewers who put this product throughout their whole hair. I can't imagine doing this, but maybe because I have fine, chin-length hair. My stylist used this on me to texturize/separate the ends a bit so they'd be piecy. Even though I thought it was expensive, I bought it because of the delicious smell! (Apparently not every reviewer agrees with me).

I think the smell is very natural, fresh and clean - kind of reminds me of fresh cut grass. The product is not too gummy or sticky. I just use a very tiny bit (like one-sixth the size of my pinky fingernail.) Maybe this is why it has lasted me 3 years. I also love the sleek jar which fits nicely in your palm and is sturdy. The only downside IMHO is the price, but having priced a bunch of similar products today at Ulta, this seems to be the going rate for this type of product. I wish they sold smaller jars!

on 12/6/2007 2:06:00 PM

I have short hair, a longer version of a pixie and I like to have some separation and I few spiky pieces, so I am always in search of the right product. This is a good one for separation and hold and texture, although it does make my hair dull and not so fun to touch...My HG product is called Super Ego and I get it at the salon, a little less thick.

on 10/1/2007 2:48:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have a love-hate relationship with this product. On one hand, it makes my hair feel like spun acrylic immediately after application, and for a time thereafter; on the other hand, it really does control frizz and add a *reasonable* amount of shine (meaning that you will not get the megawatt reflective qualities of a silicone-rich shine product but will, rather, get a rich, lustrous, fabu shine). I have very, very thick, exceedngly coarse, devoutly wavy (not quite curly, but almost impossible to straighten) hair. This actually makes it shiny, and -- even in Georgia -- tempers the frizz. In fact, this stuff applied to damp hair followed by a 20 minute car ride with the windows down yields the most fantastic, highly texturized, tousled beach hair that has ever perched atop my scalp. Too bad it feels like barbie hair. I suppose my conclusion is that it's magical, so long as I don't anticipate anyone attempting to run their fingers through my hair within 6-8 hours of application. I pobably won't buy it again straightaway, but I can't imagine finding anything that de-frizzes and shines so much to my liking, so I'm fairly certain I will return to it after a few failed attempts to surpass it. I should also add, for those olfactorily inclined, it smells EXACTLY like a funeral parlor -- heavy, dark rose and carnation. I happen to love it, but it's a very odd smell for a styling product. And I really can smell it for quite some time -- it does not fade quietly into the background. Not immediately, anyway.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This doesn't have the greatest smell, but it is bearable. It also works to texturize my short, curly hair and has a light hold. It doesn't weigh down my hair, so is perfect for those who worry about that. I prefer the texturizing glaze, but is still a good product.

on 10/9/2006 10:57:00 AM

I like the smell - smells natural and isn't cloying. Adds a BIT of shine and pieciness to my hair, but not enough for me to be totally satisfied, and I'm a realist. Not really for shaping the hair - the hold is minimal.

on 4/26/2005 6:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I HATE hairspray and will do/try anything not to use it, so I almost wept with joy when I found this product (recommended by my stylist)!!! The perfect hair product... styles, molds, shapes, conditions.. all without stickiness or the greesies!

I like this product. It does sculpt and define. Gives great shine and decent hold. The only thing I can really complain about is the smell...it kind of doesn't have a very appealing scent. The scent wears off though after awhile, thank goodness. I am on the lookout for a product that does the same thing at a more decent price because this was around $22 for a 4 oz. jar. I will continue to use this though until I can find a similar product.

on 1/29/2012 5:18:00 PM

Does exactly what it's supposed to: adds texture, shine, soft hold and sculpting help. Not stiff or sticky at all once dry. Smells good too, but very mild and won't interfere with your favorite perfume. I love it. I have short hair that misbehaves sometimes, and a small dab through dry hair pretty much fixes it, without looking stiff or artificial (or, gulp, the dreaded "gel" look, yikes). Happy to have found this.

on 8/18/2010 12:48:00 PM

I use this product daily. I have a pixie style haircut, and I love to style it so that there are 'pieces' that are distinctive....little wisps that separate from the rest of the hair and that angle towards my cheekbones, eyes, etc.

The texture of this product is perfect...thick but oily. But not TOO oily. Usually what I do is combine a bit of this with a bit of Alterna's Concrete and then finger comb it through most of my hair. Then using my finger tips I style individual pieces to accent my face. I then finish off with some hair spray.

This cream is very good at 'separating' the hair and giving it architectural interest, not to mention very nice sheen!

I can't live without this product!

Popular Styling Products