Alterna Hemp Seed Styling Mud

Alterna Hemp Seed Styling Mud

4.7

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This stuff works well for a piecey, chunky look, and it adds a lot of shine to the hair. I like to use a little bit on my eyebrows to keep them in place. Plus it has a very unique, earthy, delicious scent (almost like... well, you get the idea). The texture is like thick, sticky mud.
PACKAGING: Large wide and shallow tub. Very easy to scoop out desired amount. Lid goes on tight, I haven't had it dry out any.
PRICE: About $15.00 USD from a salon.
PROS: Smells lovely, keeps hair in place

CONS: A tad chre, if you ask me. The mixture tends to separate a bit, but if you mix it back up with your fingers all is right.
SUMMARY: I like.
INGREDIENTS: Superoxide Dismutase, Lactoferin, Retinyl Palmitate Polypeptide, Saccharomyces Copper Ferment, Saccharomyces Zinc Ferment, Phospholipids, Corn Oligosaccharrides, Copper Oxidase, N-Acetyl Methionine, N-Acetyl Serine, Amino Acyl tRNA Synthetase, Dimethylamino Benzamidopropyl Laurdimonium Tosylate, PED-90M, Phenoxyethanol, Methyleparaben Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Caramel, Parfum.
WILL buy again.
EDIT: I tried rubbing this into my cuticles like aprillia suggested, and it made them soft and left my nails shiny and smelling wonderful. continued >>

on 3/5/2004 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Love this stuff. It's great on wet or dry hair-- especially on dry. You can use it to manipulate your hair into place or to get a really piecey look, depending on how you style it. It's also excellent for flyaways, though It doesn't weigh your hair down or make it feel (or look) greasy. You can achieve really different effects depending on how much of it you use, so it's quite versatile. It's super-easy to use; just rub a little (or a lot) in your fingers and then do whatever you want. I also love the smell-- nothing overpowering, but pleasant. A tub of it lasts a loooooong time, so it's well worth your money.

on 1/29/2012 5:18:00 PM

Does exactly what it's supposed to: adds texture, shine, soft hold and sculpting help. Not stiff or sticky at all once dry. Smells good too, but very mild and won't interfere with your favorite perfume. I love it. I have short hair that misbehaves sometimes, and a small dab through dry hair pretty much fixes it, without looking stiff or artificial (or, gulp, the dreaded "gel" look, yikes). Happy to have found this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This was perfect to get a fun piecey look with my short, fine hair, without greasing it up and making it look filthy. I loved it for the first few days, and then I broke out in a terrible acne/rash along my hairline and particularly on the sides of my face where I have a few longer pieces that rest there.

I checked on the jar, and despite its organic-ness, it does has several comedogenic ingredients listed. I believe that in my case the oleth-3 was the main culprit which is a 5 for comedogenic properties and a 3 for irritation. If you've never had a bad reaction to a product, or if your hair doesn't touch your face, I'd probably still recommend it, but if you have sensitive, or acneic skin I'd avoid this like the plague.

Also, this is way expensive for a hair product. I'm going to try CHI Molding Clay now that my skin is finally healed. CHI isn't organic and does have petrolium-based products,(boo,) but it was the only hair mud I could find where nothing in it is considered highly comedogenic, so hopefully it won't break me out. CHI's product is also about half the price of Alterna's Styling Mud.

on 12/6/2007 2:06:00 PM

I have short hair, a longer version of a pixie and I like to have some separation and I few spiky pieces, so I am always in search of the right product. This is a good one for separation and hold and texture, although it does make my hair dull and not so fun to touch...My HG product is called Super Ego and I get it at the salon, a little less thick.

on 10/1/2007 2:48:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have a love-hate relationship with this product. On one hand, it makes my hair feel like spun acrylic immediately after application, and for a time thereafter; on the other hand, it really does control frizz and add a *reasonable* amount of shine (meaning that you will not get the megawatt reflective qualities of a silicone-rich shine product but will, rather, get a rich, lustrous, fabu shine). I have very, very thick, exceedngly coarse, devoutly wavy (not quite curly, but almost impossible to straighten) hair. This actually makes it shiny, and -- even in Georgia -- tempers the frizz. In fact, this stuff applied to damp hair followed by a 20 minute car ride with the windows down yields the most fantastic, highly texturized, tousled beach hair that has ever perched atop my scalp. Too bad it feels like barbie hair. I suppose my conclusion is that it's magical, so long as I don't anticipate anyone attempting to run their fingers through my hair within 6-8 hours of application. I pobably won't buy it again straightaway, but I can't imagine finding anything that de-frizzes and shines so much to my liking, so I'm fairly certain I will return to it after a few failed attempts to surpass it. I should also add, for those olfactorily inclined, it smells EXACTLY like a funeral parlor -- heavy, dark rose and carnation. I happen to love it, but it's a very odd smell for a styling product. And I really can smell it for quite some time -- it does not fade quietly into the background. Not immediately, anyway.

on 4/13/2006 12:20:00 AM

Yes, I love it. I've tried Phytodefrisant (used a lot and did little), Bed Head After Party (loved smell, hated outcome - still frizzy), Bumble Curl Creme (o.k., but have to use a lot and hit or miss on results), Biosilk (greasy hair, itchy scalp), Jonathan Dirt (too sticky to move from hand to hair). I've used Alterna for a week and I've been able to get good results every day. Really keeps frizz at bay and doesn't make it look dirty, greasy, matted, or stiff. So happy - thank you MUA reviewers! Update: Someone asked how to use the product so I'm pasting my answer here also - Hemp mud is on the pricey side especially since I went through a 4 oz. tub in a couple of months. But I do love it and will continue to buy it on ebay where it's cheaper. I wash my hair at night only so when I wake up it's not attractive at all. The top layer of my hair is frizzy but goes wavy if I have the right stuff. I start off by dampening my hands and running whatever 'other' product I have - Avon dry end serum, Tigi Bed Head, Avon straightening balm to get the waves going. Then I go for the Hemp Mud, rub it in my palms and start grabbing at all the outer layers of my hair. Then I let it 'sit' while I put on my makeup. If I see any frizzy spots after that, I get some more Mud and grab those areas. It somehow stays with me all day and keeps my hair from regressing to its frizzy state. You know how sometimes you have a product and it looks good in the a.m.? But as soon as you touch it in the middle of the day it breaks down? If I have Mud in my hair, I'm not afraid to dampen my hands and scrunch my hair to freshen the curl. It looks and feels like you spent some time at the beach. It gives texture. Hope this helps.
11/2007 Update: Use Pantene's Texturizing Pomade as a cheaper alternative. I use Pantene all over and then a touch of the more expensive Hemp on bangs, sides.

on 11/29/2005 7:33:00 PM

I purchased this a few months ago and never really appreciated it until I started straightening my long, thick wavy hair. This is the last product I use after I flat iron. I rub a tiny bit between my palms and smooth it through my hair. It gets rid of the frizz and also smooths the choppy look that I sometimes get from my layers after I straighten. Great product!

on 11/22/2003 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

My hairdresser gave me a sample of this after using it on my hair and have to say-I love this stuff. I like the smell and it's fun to use. I've used it to straighten my hair (worked better than the Hemp Seed Straighening Balm), make it piecey, flip the ends up or out, or just better a bad hair day.

The texture is sticky but rubbing it through your hands helps to smooth it out a little.

It's kind of fun to use and it can be used to create a lot of diffent styles.

on 5/9/2002 2:06:00 PM

Wonderful smell, wonderful product. My hairdresser used this after he blew my hair out and curled the ends. It makes your hair soft and it keeps fly-aways at bay. It also helps my hair to look more natural after being blown straight. I highly recommend it!

Popular Styling Products