Shiseido Gentle Sun Protection Lotion for Sensitive skin and Babies

Shiseido  Gentle Sun Protection Lotion for Sensitive skin and Babies

3.5

MEDICINAL INGREDIENTS: zinc oxide 13.9% w/w titanium dioxide 3.3% w/w NON-MEDICINAL INGREDIENTS: cyclomethicone - water - butylene glycol - dimethicone - hydrogenated c6-14 olefin polymers - pentaerythrityl tetraoctanoate - glycerin - polybutylene glycol/ppg-9/1 copolymer - polymethacrylate - dimethicone copolyol - dextrin palmitate - xylitol - methyl gluceth-10 - trimethylsiloxysilicate - dipotassium glycyrrhizate - scutellaria baicalensis extract - zinc myristate - thiotaurine - ectoin - disteardimonium hectorite - aluminum distearate - aluminum hydroxide - isostearic acid - silica - trisodium edta - tocopherol - phenoxyethanol

on 4/20/2017 2:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I'm on the fence with this one. My beloved la roche posay mineral fluid was found to be the culprit of some minor acne or irritation (not sure which), but although perfect in every way other than this, I cannot say ok to something causing little bumps on my skin. I tried this in my quest to find a new HG sunscreen. I have since returned, simply because as an everyday sunscreen this is quite high maintenance and doesn't really do much other than provide sun protection (obviously what it's intended, but no added benefits such as smoothing skin). I would've been much more likely to have kept if the white cast wasn't SO difficult to work with. Upon application it is so white it has a blue tint to it. Once rubbed in the cast goes away fairly well, but there is still a hint of it. This was difficult to work with around the hairline, eyebrows, and in crevices (nose, near the ears, etc) because it's so difficult to rub in without leaving white behind or rubbing skin to the point of having a dry appearance. It also did not smooth pores, but eventually settled and sort of made them more visible (I don't have prominent pores, but my cheeks have a handful that re visible and can be accentuated with some products). My skin was not mattified, nor was it oily in appearance. It had. A hint of luminescence to it, which looked fine. I don't wear foundation daily, but other makeup applied ok on top (concealer, blush), although my concealer was noticeably lightened by the "base" of sunscreen. I would have to purchase 1 shade darker to have a perfect match when using this sunscreen, but was ok for the under eye area. This was also difficult to remove. It absolutely required an oil cleanser followed by a traditional facial cleanser. If you rubbed on dark fabrics, a white transfer spot could be seen. Where it did excel was that it was indeed really water resistant (even waterproof), which is great for outdoor actitivities with water and sweat. It did not break me out, cause any irritation, or any burning. My skin itself was happy with this sunscreen. It performed well in the sun; I did not have any tanning or burning in the sun when in direct, harsh sunlight. I did not reapply it at any point (which I probably should have), but it was so difficult to work with I did not want to try another layer when the first layer was clearly there (less worry with a mineral base, since it reflects light and shouldn't stop working unless it's removed/rubbed off). I also used it on my toddler's face/neck for water play and it stayed put.

If I cannot find anything else that my skin has no issues with that is less irritating I may end up repurchasing. It is a good sunscreen with some excellent qualities, but since it is so high maintenance to apply, remove, and has some other negative qualities, it would be a painful purchase and not a product I would enjoy using.

on 8/25/2016 5:35:00 PM

Although I still haven't found a mineral sunscreen that feels like NOTHING on my skin, this is very lightweight, fairly non-greasy, and doesn't dry me out. There is a whisper of a whitecast, but on my very fair skin it's more flattering than anything (helps tone down redness). I have clog and acne-prone skin that easily dehydrates, and provided I don't douse my face in this product, it stays happy. 1/4 teaspoon easily applies to my face and neck.

I do find that if my skin is flaky or dehydrated, this will accentuate those problems. If I'm properly exfoliated and hydrated (I use 2% BHA and Mizon all-in-one cream beforehand in the morning), my skin looks good and makeup plays nicely.

on 4/27/2015 9:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I've gone through 2 bottles of this stuff, which is saying a lot. It's fantastic for my combination skin and somehow does not aggravate my acne-prone skin. I've accidentally napped without removing this sunscreen and thank goodness, my skin did not react at all. It can feel a little tacky after application, but a light dusting of loose powder will fix it. For removal, I use a micellar water (Bifesta) and it seems to come off just fine.

Most definitely my HG sunscreen!

I was really surprised how much I disliked this product. If you have dry skin like me, it just makes it worse. I'm not sure what ingredient mattifies your skin, but for older gals (particularly with drier skin) we like the dewy look. This is an all mineral sunscreen and so I thought great, I can put this over a good moisturizer and be both moisturized and protected. Wrong. It will suck up the humectant in your moisturizer and whatever else it can get out of your skin...really uncomfortable....and it's expensive. DHC has a lovely mineral fluid sunscreen that I'm going back to.

I bought this product for ~ $40 plus tax - quite expensive for me, but worth it if it can be everything that I want in a sunscreen.

Last year I tried shiseido's spf 55 ultimate sun protection lotion for face & body and loved everything about it, with the exception of how extremely waterproof it was. It was amazing - smelled great (nothing like your typical sunscreen smell at all), wasn't the slightest bit greasy, didn't break me out, was really protective, no white-cast...but I just couldn't get it off at the end of the day without scrubbing pretty hard. They make an oil cleanser to remove it with, but that's just ridiculous to me. If i'm going to spend $40-50 on a sunscreen, i'd better NOT need a $40-50 bottle of oil cleanser to get the stuff off at the end of the day. I tried olive oil but nothing but scrubbing worked.

This year I decided to try the baby sunscreen as I was hoping it would be everything I loved about the spf 55 sunscreen, but less waterproof. It's definitely less waterproof, and I can get it off with just cleanser (dove beauty bar) and water. It smells just as great, no white cast, no breakouts or allergic reactions so far...but it is a little bit greasy. Sigh.

It's better than the ultra waterproof version just because I can get it off, but I'm really disappointed by the greasiness. Good, but not HG. Not sure if I will repurchase.

on 5/1/2015 10:21:00 PM

I've tried more than 10 sunscreen products and this one is my favorite!!! I have severe redness and some acne. This product improves my skin gradually. Love it!

on 7/17/2014 1:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This has been my go to sunscreen for the past few years due to it's ease in finding it readily in department and drugstores in Canada. It's a pure mineral based sunscreen mixed with several types of silicone and a bit of alcohol. It definitely leaves a white layer but has protected me very well even when I don't get a chance to reapply.

My bottle is expired but I still use it no problem. It has that trademark Shiseido scent that I really like though it's the most pricey sunscreen I purchase. It does leave a greasy feeling on the skin but is liquidy and spreads easily. The container is shaped to fit the hand easily so you can dispense with one hand but some oozes out the sides. I put it in a ziplock bag when I'm out along with a damp hand towel. It's rated SPF 33 and I haven't gotten dark using this but it's water resistant.

Due to the silicone base, it's really hard to remove but I've discovered that cleansing oils remove sunscreen quite well. I guess that would explain why Shiseido makes one themselves though it's really overpriced for something that is mostly mineral oil. I use the ones that don't clean my face really well along with my Body Shop Flannel cloth.

on 10/21/2013 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a pretty good sunscreen. I used the Shiseido Urban Environment one before this (the white one) and that made my face into a greaseball. I have really oily skin unfortunately and this one was better at keeping the oils at bay. However, I do still get oily after a few hours (just not as oily as the Urban Environment). Still on the search for a good oil-controlling sunscreen!

on 4/2/2014 10:44:00 PM

In Asia, there are two gentle spf 30 sunscreens. One is called the Gentle Sun Protection Lotion and the newer one is the Urban Environment UV Protector Extra Mild SPF30 PA+++. I have used both and the newer Urban Environment UV Protector Extra Mild doesn't match up to the Gentle Sun Protection Lotion, especially in terms of texture.

If applied on freshly cleansed skin the Urban Environment UV Protector Extra Mild is sticky even after absorption. However if applied over skin that has been toned and moisturized it gets really sticky and doesn't seem to absorb at all. It dries dewy. A nightmare in a hot humid environment.

Meanwhile the Gentle Sun Protection Lotion is lighter than its SPF30 counterpart and dries semi matte. My only complaint would be the slight tackiness after it dries and absorbs. It's not labeled anywhere as water or sweat resistant but it doesn't come off easily with a regular foaming cleanser. A cleansing oil would be ideal to remove this sunscreen.

Another good point about this sunscreen is its oil control capabilities. Must be the work of the silica and silicones. My skin doesn't get dry using this sunscreen and so far I have suffered no breakouts. Protection wise this sunscreen holds up well and I have not gotten any sun burns. A perfect sunscreen for day to day use.

I have this feeling that Shiseido might discontinue this sunscreen in Asia as the newer Urban Environment UV Protector Extra Mild is more profitable for them. Urban Environment UV Protector Extra Mild comes in a small 50ml tube and costs RM130, while the Gentle Sun Protection Lotion comes in a generous 100ml size and costs only RM115.

on 11/5/2013 7:25:00 AM

I've been using this product for almost 3 years and absolutely loving it. I have an acne prone skin and this lotion doesn't break out my skin. I have several black spots, but after using it, there is no appearance of new spots. The lotion does it's jobs. I usually use this product every morning before applying makeup. I live in Indonesia with tropical climate, and i found that if I wear the lotion for outdoor activity, my face will get greasy and shiny. And it's not sweat proof, so I have to reapply it after several hours. But if I stay indoor, the lotion will last all day. The product is expensive, but it's still worth the price since you'll get 100 ml. One bottle will last for 6-8 months if you wear it thinly everyday. Sadly, the product sale was discontinued in Indonesia 2-3 months ago, so I have to buy it in Singapore or Hongkong. In overall, this is a lovely product and worth buying.