E.L.F. Elements 4-pan Compact

4.8

Price: $

Price: $

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

ELF's Custom Compact is "designed for the girl on the go! This magnetic lock in system has four compartments created to offer the ability to switch out your favorite eye, lip, and face shades. The compact includes a mirror so you can always be sure that you look your best!" I'd been meaning to pick up this palette for quite a while, but I haven't ordered from ELF in like two years and hadn't found this palette in stores until recently. I picked up my ELF Custom Compact at Target for $1. ELF offers pans of eyeshadow and lipstick that you can pop into this palette. Each pan retails for $1 as well. ELF products are cruelty free and made in China. ELF items can be bought through the brand's website an at select Targets, Kmarts, Walmarts, Big Lots, and drug and dollar stores.
ELF's Custom Compact measures 3x3" and is quite thin. This compact is made of midweight, shiny, ivory plastic. There's a small tab that will pop this compact open. Opening ELF's Custom Compact reveals four slots for round, standard sized eyeshadows (think MAC shadows). The base of the compact is magnetic, but it isn't very strong. The tray can be easily popped out if you want to fit more than four shadows in it. ELF includes a decent quality, double ended sponge tip applicator. The inside of the lid offers a very nice mirror. The size of this compact makes it very convenient to just toss in your bag..but don't toss it too hard. This compact isn't super sturdy. I left one of my cheap ELF eyeshadows in it and dropped it onto a linoleum floor from a height of about 2 1/2 feet to test the sturdiness, and the results weren't great. The eyeshadow wasn't wrecked, but it did break a little around the edges. The compact or mirror didn't crack though, so it isn't as flimsy as it feels.
ELF's Custom Compact is a good deal, but you also get what you pay for. The compact is decently sized, so storage and travel are no problem at all. The magnet isn't super strong, but it'll hold most eyeshadows in place. I recommend ELF's Custom Compact if you have a few loose pans and don't want to spend upwards of $10 on a MAC or Z palette. I'll likely repurchase this compact if I acquire anymore pan eyeshadows.

on 11/29/2012 8:42:00 PM

I absolutely love this E.L.F pallet. I can easily wear these colors during the day to work and dramatically play with the colors for a perfect night time look. It is subtle, sexy, and chic looking. Overall, I would rate this E.L.F. product 9/10. My only complaint is that I wish that it lasted longer on my face. After a few hours I find myself having to re-apply.

on 7/9/2012 9:24:00 PM

Awesome little compact. I am going on vacation and want to take along some of my MAC shadows. This is great to use. I just pop the pans out of my MAC palette and into this to throw in my makeup bag for my trip. I can have the shadows I need without having to take along my 15 shadow collection. Sometimes I'll coordinate 4 shadows for a look I want to make and use this to organize them together in my makeup drawer. Perfect!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I really like how there is a variety of eyeshadow colors to chose from. You get to pick any theme; natural, pinks, blues, smokey, etc. It has 4 spots for- browbone, crease, lid, and liner. It's very small and cute and portable. It can probably fit into your back pocket. Very impressed with the eyeshadows too. They are very pigmented although, there is a lot of fallout but that's not a problem. Love this, you should definetly try it out.

on 4/27/2012 6:26:00 PM

This is my new HG palette for depotting. You can pull out the plastic part and glue a magnetic sheet to the bottom. Voila, instant freestyle magnetic palette!

They have a deceptively large capacity; I depotted my Stila In the Light palette and UD's BOS4 (total of 26 full sized shadows) into three ELF compacts.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

These compacts are absolutely great for those who have purchased the Elf Element singles as well as single Mac shadows, Hot Pots from coastalscents or any 28mm pan eyeshadow or pigment or blush etc.
PRICE/AVAILABILITY- These custom palettes can be found under the Element section on the ELF website. I have also seen them at Target & Sears Grand stores. It will depend on your area & where Elf products are sold locally. The price is uninamously $1! Yes $1!! compared to say Mac where you would pay 10x as much at least and also way more from any other place. SOOOO it may not say Mac which is what you pay for i guess but Its definitely a STEAL!
PACKAGING- these are a custom palette meaning it comes empty. This is an ivory opalscent snap shut compact. There is a silverish metallic ELF ELEMENT logo on front middle which is nearly invisible in some lighting. its def simple & chic. nothing garrish or crazy. Very pretty. then on back its plain. Then inside- there is a full sized mirror on opening lid which is GREAT! then the bottom compact itself is where you will be able to place your pans. There is four equal circular shapes and what i love most is that with each circle there is a slight divet or dip that allows easy access or placing or taking out each pan. So no worries about it being stuck & having to pry it out with a safety pin. These holes will hold Mac single shadows. 28mm pans. BUT the big catch is this is NOT MAGNETIC!! so you will have to either go without or i have added magnet to each shadow as well as in the pan/circle. You could possibly take the actual pan where the holes are placed. Im sure with a butter knife that insert would come out, just be careful. i havent tried that yet but if you would, im sure if would hold then 9 shadows inside of 4 but then it may not look so neat & pretty. These holes will keep your shadows/pigments/blushes/glosses/lipsticks all safely secure. this compact is sturdy hard plastic! i have brought these on vacation & traveled and they have not cracked or broken or chipped at all!
for real- these are amazing- they are affordable i mean who cant afford $1!!! these are great for those who want somewhere to place your pressed pans that looks pretty and i own 3 and plan to press pigments soon so i may be picking up some depending on how pressing goes :)

on 8/16/2011 5:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

These little things are a great find. As everyone has said, they make perfect MAC quads, but with differently shaped singles I have, I just pop out the insert and stick the magnetic card down with a drop of glue at each corner.

The mirror is handy, but the best thing about these quads (besides the price) is that they're white, so you can write on the cover with a Sharpie to identify what's inside.

I'd buy this over and over again. For a buck, this is super cheap and great for on the go. You can fit other brand eyeshadows in there and they're much cheaper than other quad palettes. The eyeshadow applicator that it comes with can get a little annoying since I don't use it so I prefer to take it out. The mirror is big. I'd definitely go and pick one up if you want an eyeshadow quad but don't want to spend a lot.

I'll be buying at least one more of these. I had purchased a box of 3 CK blushes at Ross, except they're clearly meant to pop into a compact of some sort. I like the blushes, but I'd been keeping them in their big honking box because I didn't want them floating around loose in my train case. I grabbed this up at Target. It took some effort to pop the blushes from their packaging (never done it before), but then I stuck them in here with double sided tape, wrote the names with a sharpie, done. The compact itself is pretty sturdy and chunky and I like it.

on 3/19/2011 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

OMg i just ran into this palette today. I bough 1 and when i got home i realized that can put my mac shadows in it. I'll be stocking up on these .