E.L.F. Elements 4-pan Compact

4.8

Price: $

Price: $

on 7/12/2007 9:20:00 PM

These are sturdy, square, opaque, solid white plastic compacts with a mirror inside the lid and a metal sheet below a plastic divider with four holes for round pans such as E.L.F. elements (e/s, blush and lip colors), MAC, Milani, Smashbox, Urban Decay, Studio Gear, Jane, Wet & Wild, Sinful Colors, Wild & Crazy, etc.; and the newer ones also include a slot for the double-ended e/s-lip color brush applicator. The lid has "e.l.f. elements" on it in recessed, silver lettering, and the bottom has similar labeling of "eyeslipsface.com" plus a barcode sticker. They measure 3 inches square and are just slightly less than 1/2 inch thick. I have several of the older version. You can actually put almost any e/s pan in these if you remove the divider (and it is removable) then glue magnetic sheeting (such as a magnetic business card or bumper sticker, cut up) to the loose metal sheet inside the compact {or leave the metal sheet bare and glue the magnetic sheeting to the bottom of each e/s pan that is not already magnetized (tip: cut the magnetic sheeting as large as the bottom of each e/s pan for better adherence, less slippage and better balance/stability)}, then glue down the metal sheet to the bottom of the compact. Using this compact without the divider also leaves room for more or larger applicators, when you arrange the pans to either side in order to do so. Like all of the other reviewers, I wish the lid had a transparent window in order to conveniently see the colors inside, but having such a window might compromise the integrity and raise the cost too much. I get around the lack of a window by using a fine-tipped permanent marker to label each with my own code to what's inside (like C for cool colors, N for neutrals, W for warms, M for matte and S for shimmers, and so on; or you could even use colored permanent markers for your own color-coding) written on both the lid and the opening edge for easy identification. Putting the labeling on the opening edge makes it easier for these compacts to be placed on-edge (like little e/s files) in my train case, conserving space. It's worth the effort to depot e/s pans and put them in these well-made compacts. They have saved me a ton of room and organize and protect my eye shadows wonderfully. Just love 'em and you cannot beat the price of only $1.00 each!!! They used to be available at my local Meijer, but I have not seen them there in over a year. Their website indicates that they are typically carried in the larger Target and Big K-mart stores. If you don't find them near you, they may be ordered directly off the website eyeslipsface.com, with only a flat $5.00 shipping charge. They periodically have discount codes, too. They do have a problem with not shipping everything that was ordered, when out-of-stock, and with shipping things in merely a standard weight bubble envelope, however.

UPDATE 2009: I have noticed a minor, easy-to-fix problem with some, but not all, of these palettes. Part of the ear-grabbing, pop-open/closed "mechanism" on the bottom of the compact (not the mirrored side) can come loose and swing out/away a bit (sometimes causing the eared/mirrored side to close incompletely). I've found that just the tiniest dab of super glue (I use the brushed kind) or nail glue will take care of this.

I have tried four of the E.L.F. element pans of e/s (see my other reviews on the e/s) but not the blush or lip color products that were meant to fit into these compacts, so I cannot comment on the blush or lip color pans. I was not wholly impressed with the e/s but I really love these compacts!!! One of the best buys in the cosmetics world, in my opinion!!!

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

Run, don't walk, to ELF and buy a ton of 4-pan palettes!!! LOVELY! Solid white w/ a mirror inside, magnetized for ELF, MAC, Milani, Smashbox, UD, Studio Gear, Wet & Wild, Sinful Colors, Wild & Crazy etc. pans!!! I am SO impressed, you guys!!! I got 5 Compacts and 2 eyeshadows...I want more! A buck a piece!!! All swappers should buy these as EXTRAS!!! Fabulous cheap thrills, YAHOO!!!!! http://www.eyeslipsface.com/elfshop/elementscustomize.asp

on 4/27/2012 6:26:00 PM

This is my new HG palette for depotting. You can pull out the plastic part and glue a magnetic sheet to the bottom. Voila, instant freestyle magnetic palette!

They have a deceptively large capacity; I depotted my Stila In the Light palette and UD's BOS4 (total of 26 full sized shadows) into three ELF compacts.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

ELF's Custom Compact is "designed for the girl on the go! This magnetic lock in system has four compartments created to offer the ability to switch out your favorite eye, lip, and face shades. The compact includes a mirror so you can always be sure that you look your best!" I'd been meaning to pick up this palette for quite a while, but I haven't ordered from ELF in like two years and hadn't found this palette in stores until recently. I picked up my ELF Custom Compact at Target for $1. ELF offers pans of eyeshadow and lipstick that you can pop into this palette. Each pan retails for $1 as well. ELF products are cruelty free and made in China. ELF items can be bought through the brand's website an at select Targets, Kmarts, Walmarts, Big Lots, and drug and dollar stores.
ELF's Custom Compact measures 3x3" and is quite thin. This compact is made of midweight, shiny, ivory plastic. There's a small tab that will pop this compact open. Opening ELF's Custom Compact reveals four slots for round, standard sized eyeshadows (think MAC shadows). The base of the compact is magnetic, but it isn't very strong. The tray can be easily popped out if you want to fit more than four shadows in it. ELF includes a decent quality, double ended sponge tip applicator. The inside of the lid offers a very nice mirror. The size of this compact makes it very convenient to just toss in your bag..but don't toss it too hard. This compact isn't super sturdy. I left one of my cheap ELF eyeshadows in it and dropped it onto a linoleum floor from a height of about 2 1/2 feet to test the sturdiness, and the results weren't great. The eyeshadow wasn't wrecked, but it did break a little around the edges. The compact or mirror didn't crack though, so it isn't as flimsy as it feels.
ELF's Custom Compact is a good deal, but you also get what you pay for. The compact is decently sized, so storage and travel are no problem at all. The magnet isn't super strong, but it'll hold most eyeshadows in place. I recommend ELF's Custom Compact if you have a few loose pans and don't want to spend upwards of $10 on a MAC or Z palette. I'll likely repurchase this compact if I acquire anymore pan eyeshadows.

on 8/27/2011 4:23:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This palette is well worth the $1 you'll spend! I pry out the plastic divider and glue down the metal plate. Then I depot other eyeshadow brands and use the ELF palette to make them more portable. I got tired of my UD Naked palette being so big, so I used a nail file to pry out each of the colors and put them in the elf palette. I will post pictures, but they really fit so well! I was able to use all of them except the last two (gray and black). I put those in another palette. Now I can take the Naked palette with me, anywhere! Love this and buy it in multiples.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

BEST DUPE EVER!
MACs 4 pan palette is $9 and doesn't have a mirror or an applicator of any kind... And ELF has all of the above for ONE DOLLAR!!!! Are you kidding me!? AmazeBEANS!!!

Got mine at Target. Applicator is eh, but who cares for a DOLLAR!?!? Best investment! If it breaks or gets lost (hopefully it is empty if you lose it!) it's super cheap and esy to replace!

Fits my MAC pro pans PERFECTLY

on 11/5/2013 10:40:00 AM

These $1 pallets are great. I use them to rescue broken lipsticks. I just melt the lipsticks in a spoon & pour it into the pan. They're so inexpensive & you can use them for a multitude of tasks.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

they fit mac.theyre a dollar. and are magnetic. how can this fail? it doesnt. i prefer this over 49 dollars

on 4/16/2011 1:11:00 PM

I was looking for something to depot my Calvin Klein eyeshadows and blush into because they had come in a kit and did not have lids. I found these ELF compacts at my local Target for only $1 and I guessed that they would be the perfect size for me to fit my 4 square eyeshadows and 1 long, rectangular blush. The compact is actually very nice and sturdy and looks very high-quality. The divider is extremely easy to remove because there are tons of grooves inside the spaces for pans. I just took a cheap pair of manicure scissors and wedged it into one of the grooves along the inside of the circular holes. Wriggle the scissors up and down a bit and the divider should pop out with no fuss. The bottom of the compact has a magnetic sheet that is removeable. I would recommend gluing it down if you plan on using magnetic pans in the compact. Otherwise, you can remove it and glue in your pans to the bottom of the compact and use the magnetic sheet elsewhere. I've included a picture of my finished product below:

Full Size Image

I love these for depotting single eyeshadow in. I love that they also fit MAC shadows in them, so you don't need a MAC quad (which doesn't have the big mirror in it). These are great for travel and storage purposes, I don't find the packaging breaks at all. For the price, they are so useful and such good quality.