beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.2

on 2/7/2018 9:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have used the Beautyblender for a couple of years now. Not long after I purchased it, the tip came off and then since then a few more parts have broken away. I am very careful with things and I am not heavy-handed, so I was quite surprised this happened. I have still been using it as I honestly don't really think it's good enough to warrant re-purchasing a new one. I will happily repurchase expensive items if I think the price is justified and the product makes a difference however I don't really find that the Beautyblender makes much of a difference to how my makeup looks/applies.
I purchased the original pink version and I mainly use it for concealer application. I use it damp (as I'm sure the majority of people do) however, I find that if it is too damp, it makes concealer look very patchy and uneven.
I do wish that I liked this product more and that it made more of a difference to how my makeup looks. It's not a bad item, it's just quite over-hyped in my opinion.

on 6/12/2017 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I refused to try the Beautyblender for a really long tine since I have already spent a small fortune on a variety of foundation brushes and if a small spongy blob would end up performing better that would end up with serious buyer's remorse :D

The nude pink one they released finally got the best of my willpower and I'm kind of sad to admit but it's a handy tool.

First of all, the thing that irks me most about the Beautyblender - apart grom a price! - is that I really don't feel comfortable imagining the possible bacteria breeding since I'm accustomed to applying foundation with perfectly clean brushes daily. Nope, can't bring myself to do it. Then what I use the sponge for? It's simple. After applying the foundation/concealer/blush during the days my skin doesn't seem to behave I wet/squeeze it, dab gently to meld all the aforementioned layers together and this step makes my makeup look much more natural. No excuse for cackey base anymore! It does sheer the makeup out a bit and sometimes I have some more spot concealing to do but this removal results to the natural look.

A keeper, sigh!

I have purchased 4 Beauty Blenders (2 Original Pink and 2 Pro Black) at $28 CAD each. They're absolutely amazing. They're incredibly soft and blend foundation and concealer very well, but they're still durable (I've only developed some tearing in 2 of the 4 sponges after using them for about a year and a half each). Beauty Blender claims you need to replace the sponge after about 3 months of use, but I find with proper cleaning, they tend to last about a year or so. They are expensive, but for the results and longevity, I think they're completely worth it.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

There will always be controversy over this because of the price; a lot of people cannot rationalize spending $20+ on a sponge, and I definitely sympathize with that line of thinking, but this is one of those times I had to just swallow hard and bite the bullet.

After all, we have no problem spending that kind of money on a makeup brush, or a lipstick, and those might not even get as much daily use as this does. I am not sure how well these hold up on a long-term basis; I have had mine for about a month and it is still in perfect condition. Before this I was using the NYX blender which is cheaper and I can recommend to you, but this blender is a bit softer and bouncier.

If you're looking for the ultimate makeup tool that will simplify your routine and take foundation/concealer/contour application to the next level, this is the final frontier. I can't even tell you how much better and smoother everything looks since I threw this in the mix. I even use this to pick up powder and "bake" my undereye, forehead and Cupid's bow areas. It goes without saying, if you want the most bang for your buck, this must be used dampened.

So, that's that. I spent $20 on a freaking sponge and it was maybe the best beauty decision I've made in a decade. It's one of those things you really have to just experience for yourself, but it gets my vote.

on 10/18/2015 2:56:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I was hesitant to buy this at first because I don't use sponges and this little thing is expensive! However, I can say that I love my beauty blender. I use it for everything. Foundation, highlight and even setting powder! I have the RT sponge as well, and while I like it as well, I find this one is a bit bouncier and softer which is better for blending.

Love this! I add just a little water, squeeze excess out. I apply my foundation and concealer with a brush and then blend with the beauty blender. Works amazing! I have tried using for putting on my foundation but I feel like it sucks up a lot of it. Otherwise I really like this and will continue to use it

on 3/8/2015 1:31:00 PM

Love this! Finally took the plunge & bought 1; not soon after, bought 2 more. Can't believe I thought a foundation brush was the best thing ever.

was hesitating whether to buy this or not since it's kinda on a pricey side but let me tell this: it's amAzing make up application is so much easier now and it give it such a flawless look loving it!!!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I purchased a Chanel foundation brush (#6) back in July 2013. I purchased the beautyblender in December 2013. I am so mad at myself for having bought these two things so close together, because I absolutely fell in love with the beautyblender and feel like I've wasted my money on the foundation brush.
Lately, I have been using the foundation brush again (solely to get more use out of it!) and simply applying concealer with the beautyblender. Then I go over my face to sort of create that airbrush look the beautyblender is known for! Also, the beautyblender eats up a lot of product. So, I feel like when I apply my liquid foundation with the Chanel brush, I'm saving a bit of product and then finish the look with the beautyblender. The only con to the beautyblender is that it does use twice as much product normally used during application. I feel like the look lasts all day, which is obviously a combination of product and technique. I bought the pack of two for $30, which saves $10 (each one costs $20). I like the packaging because there's sort of a little holder inside which I've used to keep the sponge in for drying purposes instead of just letting it sit on a surface to collect germs. (It's sort of hard to explain, but those who own this know what I mean hopefully!)
I've read a lot of complaints that this is difficult to clean, which I disagree with. I will admit to being lazy with this because if I use the sponge in the morning and let it dry, chances are I'm not going to go back and wash the sponge and let it dry again before the next application. Cleansing works best when the sponge is dry. I find when I try to clean it right away after usage the product doesn't come out as readily and cleaning feels pointless. If you buy the two pack, this is probably a little easier. However, I've just stored away the spare sponge and not even used it yet. I'm just keeping it as a backup in case my current one rips or it gets lost somehow. Also, there is a cleanser specifically made for the beautyblender sold at Sephora. I have not tried this and do not know anything about it. From what I understand, I believe there is a travel kit sold on Sephora.com too which comes with the cleanser too!

As far as dupes go, I've never bought any. From what I've read on here, the dupes sold at drug stores/Ulta are nothing like the real thing. This is why I decided to just skip all that and purchase the real thing.

Overall, this has been my favorite beauty purchase by far in the past year, which is a huge statement considering how many products I've bought in the past month alone! This is HG, bring on a desert island stuff! Do not wait any longer to purchase!

on 12/31/2013 12:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I asked my sister to buy this for me for Christmas. I have been intrigued by this product for years, but could never fork over the $20 to buy it. Seems like such a waste for what it was....a pink sponge. I could buy a whole bag of cosmetic sponges for $6 at Sallys. Why did I need this sponge?

The answer is I really didn't. It performs well and I like that it is reusable, but its really no better than a nice cosmetic wedge sponge. I mean don't get me wrong...I like it. I'm glad I got to try it, but am I addicted...no. Foundation goes on nicely, but my foundation doesn't seem to last as long when I use the sponge. It looks wonderful for a few hours and then the foundation seems to disintegrate faster than normal.

The sponge itself is well made and seems like it will last awhile. It does get stained with foundation and it looks sort of gross afterwards, but it is a sponge so those sorts of things will happen. It is relatively easy to clean. I heard that shaving soap works well to clean them and I'm going to try that because I don't want to buy the beautyblender cleansers as they are expensive.

The sponge does have pink dye that washes away when you squeeze it, but I have not noted any transferring of pink to my face. I know some people have expressed concerns about that, but believe me I think it is just a false worry.

All in all I would give the product a 3.5. I debated giving it a 4, but didn't because I reserve 4 and 5 for products I'm completely enamored with. I haven't fallen in love with this "magical" sponge, but I will update you if I do.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools