beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.6

on 9/18/2016 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I had the Shiseido sponge for a while and I liked it better. I felt like it was soaking up less product, and that it was blending it smoother than the Beauty Blender. However, this sponge is still nice. It blends products flawlessly and it gives a beautiful finish. I'm kind of on the fence for this product. It's soaking up too much product to be a holy grail for me, even if I soak it up with water first.

on 4/12/2016 11:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This was hard for me to purchase as I couldn't justify spending $20 on a sponge, so I originally bought a dupe, which I quite liked. However, the original beauty blender is amazing. It really does make foundation look more natural, it doesn't leave any lines like a brush sometimes does. It is awesome for blending out concealer! It does apply liquid foundation quite sheerly but you can definitely build with it. The one thing that does irk me...is I do reckon you use more product with it. But, I would happily sacrifice a little bit more product to for a flawless base ;) also makes applying foundation super quick, just dab dab dab done. And it is good for applying powder if you want a bit more coverage. Yep, would buy again.

EDIT: it grew MOLD!! Even after keeping it clean, I think maybe I didn't air it very well at times, a bit of a shame.

I just got this, but so far I love it!!

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Fabulous!! Makeup looks brilliant :)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

I had never heard of a beauty blender before, but on my most recent makeup shopping trip, an accosicate recommended one. I was a bit weary of spending $26 for a makeup sponge, but I decided to give it a go. And wow, am I ever glad I did. Before I would apply my foundations with a normal makeup sponge. Not only did they waste a lot of product, they were hard to apply makeup flawlessly since they are made of a more dense sponge.
To apply my foundation, I run my beauty blender under lukewarm water until it puffs up, then I squish out most of the water and pat dry on a towel. I then blot the foundation on my face using my fingers, then pounce the beauty blender all over to blend. You can squish the beauty blender to reach under the eyes, or use the tip to get into hard to reach areas. I always end up with a flawless application. I purchased the beauty blender solid soap as a cleanser (all that was available at the time). For the $20, it was a waste of money because it doesn't clean off any of the foundation, it just causes a whole lot of pink dye to run out of the sponge. But since this is a review on the sponge itself, I give it a 10/10. So soft and pliable, and causes minimal waste of foundation. A wonderful invention for flawless makeup application.

on 8/30/2014 2:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

UPDATE: OK, I bought the super duper tiny green ones because they were adorable, but I haven't found them terribly useful just yet. I pretty much only use them for the undereye and for blending a browbone highlight in but it's really nothing that Big Pink can't do. They're fun, though, can't argue with that - just not the time-savers that the big one is. If I find an innovative new use for them you guys will be the first to know...

Ah, the beautyblender. It's become one of those things I can't live without, but it definitely has some issues I wish they'd fix.

First of all, a confession: I almost never use this wet, and when I do, I just spritz it with rosewater. I don't run it under the tap and let it puff up like you're supposed to. I find that a)I am lazy and this takes less time, and b)the sponge soaks up more product this way, giving me nice sheer coverage instead of full-on makeup, and c)I can use it to blend out powder products when it's dry without risk of color changes or cakiness. I'll spritz it to build up my liquid foundation, blend my concealer, and remove product if I've overpowdered.

This leads in to my number-one gripe about the beautyblender: it is such a pain in the ass to clean! I've tried the two soaps by the same company but I've found that the two things that work best for me are Dr. Bronner's soap and MAC Cleanse Off Oil. When you use the sponge dry, however, it stains really really badly and always looks a little dingy. The time I save putting on my makeup in the morning is used to clean and re-clean the sponge when I get home. If you've got any tips, PM me and I'll be eternally grateful.

My second gripe: The dye. Thinking about buying the "pure" version but I'm worried that it would look even more horribly dingy than the pink one. I bought the black "pro" ones but found that, while they didn't bleed, they also had a different texture that I didn't like as much. No matter how much you wash it or what you wash it with, this sponge will always, always bleed pink dye. I've had my original for a long time now -- probably time to chunk it, honestly -- and it's been washed thousands of times with every soap under the sun, and it still bleeds dye when I use Dr. Bronner's. I even soaked it in vinegar on a whim to remedy the dye problem since that's what you do with bleeding brushes (note: this was gross, don't do it. It didn't hurt the sponge but I think it made it angry). I think that, after I've stopped using this one on my face and right before I throw it out, I'm going to experiment with some Borax to see if that'll remedy my sponge problems, haha.

So I'm going to keep buying them because I love how easy and sheer they make foundation application, but I'm also going to keep complaining about them and their ridiculous pricetag until they either fix the staining/bleeding issues or I find a comparable dupe. ;) Plus, it's adorable and soft and I just can't stay mad at something that lets me sleep a couple extra minutes in the morning.

on 5/20/2014 4:55:00 PM

Ladies, meet the holy grail of makeup sponges. I kept hearing about how great this product is and it wasn't until I tried it out myself, I realized all the buzz is well worth it. I use the beauty blender to apply my Laura Mercier foundation. It helps cover up my acne 10 times more when I apply my foundation with the beauty blender and it doesn't look caked on. I always get compliments on how great my skin looks. The price is definitely a little steep, but if you care after it (wash it daily and keep it in a little baggy) it should last you a few months.

No brush, no matter how expensive, has ever made my makeup look as flawless as this sponge. It blends perfectly, cleans easily, dries quickly, and feels like velvet kisses when applying. I know the price tag has most of us weary of purchasing this, but the outcome is well worth it. I use this to apply my Mac Prep & Prime Highlighter in Light Boost under my eyes for that ultimate Kim K highlight. (Just a small note: the first time my sister and I washed our BB's, the pink dye ran a little bit which has me thinking I should switch to the new white version which contains no dye at all. This is the only reason I couldn't give it a 5.)

Oh wow. I have put off buy a Beautyblender for so long. I assumed that all sponges were essentially the same, therefore my Sonia Kashuk blending sponge was just fine. There was no reason to shell out extra money for a beautyblender. My Sonia Kashuk sponge is now falling apart, what do I do? It cost me around $11, which is ok. Then my birthday comes and my husband takes me to Sephora (my first time there). I use this opportunity to purchase a beautyblender and decide to check it out on the way home. IT WAS SO SOFT. SO PLIABLE. Just a delight to touch. Here this little sponge was dry and new and it was 10x softer than the sponge I've been using after it's been soaked and squeezed out! I used it the next morning. It blended in my concealer and foundation like a dream. Now I know what people mean when they say it gives you an "airbrushed" finish. It made these products look like my skin...only better. It blended better than any brush or sponge I have ever used. Now I regret that I didn't buy it sooner. I have a teenage sister and I know what I'm getting her for Christmas now. I'm going to start her journey with makeup off right.

on 10/31/2013 10:18:00 PM

I love this sponge. I get a flawless application that I definitely can't achieve with any dupe sponges. It is worth a try if you love liquid foundation!!!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools