beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.4

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is my first 'special beauty sponge' and it works nice. Not perfect and kinda inconvenient to use. Also on the pricey side so I'll try a cheaper one next time. I've previously tried those old school sponges and they're also okay. Not a huge difference.

Hate to admit it but I would buy another one (despite the crazy price) if something happened to my current one.

I used other dupes before I bought this one but they absorbed more product and just couldn't live up to BB's performance standards. Even ditched my MAC and Sephora brushes for the BB

on 1/15/2017 9:48:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I've tried the pro version of the beauty blender as well but the original doesn't seem as durable as the pro version. Still great though.

on 11/30/2016 7:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Let me say that this is a really great makeup sponge. It applies my liquid foundations evenly and flawlessly such that my pores don't look as big as usual.

All girls with big pores need a sponge like this. I say a sponge like this, and not this sponge, because the Real Techniques sponge can do a very similar job for a fraction of the price.

How does this sponge compare to the RT? I think the BB gives a very marginally better finish with the super slippy liquid foundations like water based ones (My reference is Kanebo Lunasol Modeling Liquid Foundation, still my HG after 9 years). The BB also eats slightly less product. However, the RT sponge trumps the BB in terms of shape and price. The BB is $30 where I'm from, and the RT is only $8! Also, I much prefer the shape of this sponge as it enables me to get into all the little nooks of my face and under the eyes. For the BB, you need the micro minis to do that properly. Also, RT performs better with foundations that are creamier in texture. I get a better effect with the RT sponge when I use the Kate Mineral Mask BB cream (which is my other HG product!) than with the BB. On balance, I much prefer the RT and would repurchase this over the BB.

Don't get me wrong. The BB is a FABULOUS sponge. If you can shell out $30 every 2-3 months, then by all means, do, you won't regret getting this. Get the micro mini BBs at the same time too, because under eye and nose cleavage application with this is really trying. But if you want a cost effective option that does 95% the same thing in one product, RT is the sponge for you.

Would I repurchase? This is hard. I would, probably, when it's on sale, but I doubt I would pay full price for this again.

on 11/14/2016 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

The best invention ever it transformed my preception of flawless foundation

on 11/9/2016 6:49:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Absolutely love this sponge! Definitely gives me the super natural skin-like effect and beats all the other brushes and sponges for me. Decided to use this when my skin was getting drier and flaky during winter, which makes applying my base a mess and super difficult. This sponge works wonders, super bouncy, and feels really soft against my skin. I'm not sure if this happens to other people, but I have a rather sensitive skin in a sense that the foundation brushes make me itch. I've also tried the RT sponge before (which I wrote a review on it as well), and personally, I feel the BB outperforms the RT sponge, The only gripe I have about this product is that it is quite expensive and it lasts only 2-3 months. However, I would definitely repurchase!

I bought this before I tried the real techniques sponge... man, this sponge is a disappointment. It is more dense and the surface is kinda coarser than the RT sponge, hence it kinda produce this weird, coarse texture on the skin while the RT provides more smooth, airbrushed look. Besides that, the RT sponge is larger and have a flat surface which makes blending foundation easier and faster than BB sponge... Considering BB price is twice the RT ones, this sponge definitely not worth buying.... And the hype

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I started using this with my foundation exactly 2 months ago. Can't live without it now. Will repurchase although I have a BIG issue with it.
I've used it for only 7 weeks (once daily) and already there's mold on it. Before one says I've not managed it properly, let me say,
@I clean it after EVERY USE with the original BB soap
@I let is stand on its side, vertically, perched on top of its container in my airy vanity top, so it stores/dries properly - never inside a containers or enclosed where mold can grow.
Yet, small patches of mold appear, and only after less than 2 months of usage. I'm devastated as I really love using this for foundation. At a per use rate for less than 60 days, it is very very expensive.
Updated 19July2016:
I snipped off the tiny black specks on the sides of my BB with a pair of small scissors (the top and pointed ends are not affected/disfigured). I now put it in my bedroom (instead of my bathroom shelf) to dry. So, all's good. As I said, this is really a wonderful makeup tool despite all.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

A wonderful sponge to apply my liquid foundation perfectly ! The only con's is that you have to wash it after every application but the result is much more better than using a brush !

on 4/21/2016 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I've had this with the solid cleanser for quite long now. And honestly I never knew how I managed without the original one for so long. I used to buy their dupes, mainly because they didn't sell this in finland until some months ago. I came across the set for 16€ and thought instantly that it was such a good deal. I need to wash this rather regularly to keep it from getting stained. Maybe it does sheer out my foundation somewhat but it keeps it matte and stays longer and beautifully blended. Sometimes when I'm bored I switch to real techniques expert brush, but 99% of the time that I apply foundation I always use this. Super easy application. My 1yo toddler can only allow me to have a minute routine. Saves me some time before preparing his breakfast and outing.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools