beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.2

on 11/6/2006 1:08:00 PM

I found the Beautyblender sponge to be too small to handle very well. The company was difficult when I tried to contact them for a refund. They stated they were sorry I was disspointed with their product but could not issue me a refund.

I would try and check the product out thoroughly before I spent the money since it's NON-RETURNABLE.

on 5/6/2007 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This little baby goes to the top of my "Cosmetic Product Every MUAer Worth the Title Should Own". I was kicking myself for allowing myself to lemming this. Now I am so delighted to own it. I use it both dry and dampened, though prefer to use it dampened. I've used it on MMU (dry and dampened), liquid, pressed powder, and creme/gel (EL Re-Nutriv) and it works beautifully on all of them. When used dampened, the foundation goes on sheerly, but is easily layered as you go. A cinch to clean, I just use a bar of generic castile soap I keep in the bathroom, wet the sponge, run it over the bar of soap a couple of times, squish it, and rinse thoroughly.

on 11/16/2007 11:10:00 PM

WOW! This is a tool that is in my HG Hall of Fame. I use Laura Mercier oil-free foundation, which is very pigmented and concentrated, texture-wise. I was using LM's sponge and/or my MAC 187 to apply it, with satisfactory results. Then I got this sponge and haven't gone back since. It applies foundation in an even, smooth, non-gunky finish; the product just disappears into my skin while leaving a perfect finish. The larger end works for my forehead and cheeks, the narrower end for my nose and chin. I just love this product. I paid about $20 on beauty.com which may seem expensive but I use less product than with other tools and I think the sponge will last a good long time. I highly recommend this and will certainly repurchase.

on 12/7/2007 11:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

HG!!! I have finally found the right tool to apply my foundation so it looks natural and flawless!!! I never would have thought that this little hot pink egg would be so different from a regular latex sponge, but it is. Latex wedges just seemed to streak my foundation around unevenly and made my pores really noticeable. Brushes had the exact same effect, while also making my wallet considerably lighter. The Beautyblender applies foundation like it's airbrushing it on. No pores, no streaks, no line of demarcation on my jawline. MUA is always opening me up to new products that I never would've known about on my own, and making me wish I had been using these products FOREVER! Seriously, I have been through foundation brushes by BE, MAC, Laura Mercier, Sephora, and NARS- and every single one of them pales in comparison to the Beautyblender. It's also really easy to use- just wet the sponge well under running water, squeeze it out, and roll it in a towel a bit to make sure it's damp, not wet. Then dip the pointy side into your foundation (a dot the size of a dime did half of my face), and kind of bounce it on your face, blending as you go. You can run the larger, rounded side of the sponge over your face (especially the jawline) when you're done, just to be sure it's all blended. It's really easy and fast (it took me less than 2 minutes to do my foundation this morning). The first time I used this little guy, I knew I was in love! I wish they were less expensive, but what can you do? It's totally worth the $$!!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is a wonderful little pink egg sponge full of joy!!! I adore this, it blends my MU beautifully for a flawless finish, I am finding I am using even less powder with this. Just do exactly what it tells you to do, wet it, squeeze it out in a paper towel and go to work. You will get a beautifully flawless finish. I us CG Advance Radiance and they give you a little cheap square sponge which I learned to use. NEVER again!!! This beauty will be in my MU aresenal from now on! Just remember to clean it, you can use your own gentle cleanser but as a friend of mine put it, I got the "egg cleaner".

I waited almost two years before buying this product. I'd heard all the raves here, but couldn't quite bring myself to spend $20 on a sponge. Well, I finally gave in about a month ago, and I wish I'd gotten it sooner! I use it with both tinted moisturizer and foundation, and it really does give a more flawless look than I'd achieved with drugstore sponges, the Laura Mercier sponges, or a foundation brush. I even use with cream blushes (just swirling the bottom of the sponge into the blush and then stippling on) and it's a beautiful effect. I haven't even reached for my cream blush brush since I got the beautyblender. I bought the $39.95 set of two sponges and a bottle of the cleanser. I don't know about the cleanser, but I'd definitely repurchase the sponges!

on 4/8/2008 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've had my "egg" for a year now. Using it daily and cleansing after each use it's still in good condition. Nice size and shape for setting MMU!

EDIT: Sonya Kashuk's Blue Peep has replaced the BB as my new favorite. Less expensive and just as good, although quite a bit more "firm" in texture.

well, i hate to be a debbie downer here, but this sponge is really just not that great. to be completely honest, i really can't understand how this is any better than just a regular drugstore sponge. you can wet drugstore sponges so they don't absorb product just like this one, and you can wash and reuse d/s sponges also. granted, they don't last as long as the beautyblender, but it can still be done and they don't cost $20 per sponge! also, it doesn't apply makeup any better than any other sponge. you can stipple with any sponge, puff, or stippling brush and get the same affect. the one saving grace for this, however, is the shape. i love how it is shaped! the round bottom is perfect for applying blush and foundation and the pointed tip blends even the smallest areas, like around the eyes. its not too small and not too large-just the perfect shape and size which make it really easy to use. because of this, i will buy it again. but i think its important to note that this is just a sponge-not the miracle applicator everyone makes it out to be. aside from the shape, its pretty average. i've had mine for about 2-3 months, and i estimate i have about another 1-2 months of use left with it, and thats considering i use it and wash it everyday. so as long as you're not expecting some miracle product thats going to magically make your foundation look like it was airbrushed on (like everyone claims, but it just isn't true), and you realize you are just buying an expensive sponge, i think you'll enjoy the purchase. but its not like this is some must-have, run-out-and-buy-it-right-now product-just an average sponge.

on 5/7/2008 11:07:00 PM

I agree with the previous reviewer. I don't quite understand the hype. Using my fingers to blend then buffing or stippling with this sponge was no different than using a flocked drugstore sponge. I tried the method in the tutorial and wet the sponge and applied foundation with the sponge and it didn't look nearly as smooth and even. In fact it seemed to make the foundation and my pores stand out more.

I first bought this product after being disappointed with the application of what I now know was a replica Chanel Foundation brush (perhaps explaining the bad application). Before that I was using an Estee Lauder Foundation brush which I absolutely loved until one day I cleaned it a little to ambitiously and all the hairs came out! Anyway, I was a little frustrated with foundation brushes so I came across this and was sold by the reviews. I plunked down the money for it about six months ago and always used it dry as my vanity is in my closet and I'm too lazy to get it wet in my bathroom first. It was an okay product, but I felt it was too expensive for what you get. I found it didn't always apply evenly and seemed to soak up all my foundation. I also found it hard to apply concealer to my under eye area and I struggle with dark under eye circles so this was very important to me. Perhaps my biggest issue with it is it always looks dirty (unless you wash it after every application and I only washed it once a month because like I said, I'm too lazy to take it to the bathroom plus I'm always in a hurry when I'm applying makeup). Also, I found when I threw it in my makeup bag it would transfer residual foundation and concealer to my other makeup compacts which I hated. Last night I entered my closet to find little bits of pink all over my vanity. As I approached I realized a mouse (I live in the middle of a field in the country) had crawled into my bag and chewed on my sponge several times before pulling it out and chewing on it some more. Now there's $20 down the drain. I'm searching for a new foundation applicator and think I'm going to pass on this and try the Stila foundation brush. It's the same price as this thing, got better reviews, won't get eaten by a mouse, and should apply my foundation dry a lot better than the results I had with this.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools