beautyblender the sponge

4.5

on 6/12/2017 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I refused to try the Beautyblender for a really long tine since I have already spent a small fortune on a variety of foundation brushes and if a small spongy blob would end up performing better that would end up with serious buyer's remorse :D

The nude pink one they released finally got the best of my willpower and I'm kind of sad to admit but it's a handy tool.

First of all, the thing that irks me most about the Beautyblender - apart grom a price! - is that I really don't feel comfortable imagining the possible bacteria breeding since I'm accustomed to applying foundation with perfectly clean brushes daily. Nope, can't bring myself to do it. Then what I use the sponge for? It's simple. After applying the foundation/concealer/blush during the days my skin doesn't seem to behave I wet/squeeze it, dab gently to meld all the aforementioned layers together and this step makes my makeup look much more natural. No excuse for cackey base anymore! It does sheer the makeup out a bit and sometimes I have some more spot concealing to do but this removal results to the natural look.

A keeper, sigh!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

There will always be controversy over this because of the price; a lot of people cannot rationalize spending $20+ on a sponge, and I definitely sympathize with that line of thinking, but this is one of those times I had to just swallow hard and bite the bullet.

After all, we have no problem spending that kind of money on a makeup brush, or a lipstick, and those might not even get as much daily use as this does. I am not sure how well these hold up on a long-term basis; I have had mine for about a month and it is still in perfect condition. Before this I was using the NYX blender which is cheaper and I can recommend to you, but this blender is a bit softer and bouncier.

If you're looking for the ultimate makeup tool that will simplify your routine and take foundation/concealer/contour application to the next level, this is the final frontier. I can't even tell you how much better and smoother everything looks since I threw this in the mix. I even use this to pick up powder and "bake" my undereye, forehead and Cupid's bow areas. It goes without saying, if you want the most bang for your buck, this must be used dampened.

So, that's that. I spent $20 on a freaking sponge and it was maybe the best beauty decision I've made in a decade. It's one of those things you really have to just experience for yourself, but it gets my vote.

on 6/27/2015 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Ok the BeautyBlender is fantastic for blending foundation. I absolutely loved mine. HOWEVER the price is ridiculous. $20 for a sponge that needs to be replaced relatively often is a joke. Real Techniques has their own dupe version where you get 2 sponges for a little under $20 and I find it to be basically the same thing. Sure, I probably liked the feel of the BB a little better (it's bouncier...which sounds silly but it's the only way I can think to describe it), but the end result on my face turned out the same. So unless it magically comes down in price, I will save my money and stick with the dupe.

on 1/1/2015 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

At first I didn't like this sponge for anything other than concealer. I don't think this is a great idea for acne prone skin.

I initially used this by applying the foundation to the sponge from my palette (squeezed foundation onto a palette then picked up with sponge) but it absorbed A LOT of product.

After not doing that for a while, I one day applied the foundation to my face and then pounced my dampened (and squeezed in a paper towel) to blend. That made all the difference. I didn't have the massive waste of product and my skin looked awesome.

For powder, I don't suggest this be used with pressed powder. But it works wonderfully with loose powder to set the under eye and other spots concealer was used.

If you don't want to use this as your "brush" to buff/apply foundation, I've found it effective at making skin look perfected and getting rid of brush lines

As for the dye coming out of the sponge: I never had that issue. I washed before initial use with baby shampoo. And after EVERY SINGLE USE I make sure to wash thoroughly.

I see women complaining about stains and whatnot "never getting out" but if you cleaned the sponge after using your heavy duty foundations and concealer, you won't have the issue.

I used the cleanser that came with my duo pack, but I can get my blender just as clean with other soaps.

My 1 year old took a bite out of my blender one day, but I wasn't throwing out my $20 sponge because of it. I took a manicure scissor and "sharpened" the angle the point comes too. And I still love it.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I love this thing!

Let me first say that I was a non-believer. I tried all the dupes...hated most...loved some (namely the Real Techniques Beauty Sponge...and I will always go back and forth between the two)...and the BB is the winner...

The only thing I can say about this in comparison to the others is that this is so much more effortless. The RT Sponge doesnt pick up a lot of product...this picks up less...the RT Sponge blends in liquid and cream foundations and concealers to a flawless finish...the BB is just even more flawless. I have literally done myself and clients half with the BB and half with the RT Sponge...and in my personal and professional opinion, the results are the EXACT SAME, the BB just takes less time.

Other than my Revlon Color Stay Whipped...I use sponges for all of my foundation/BB cream/CC cream/tinted moisturizer/ Concealer application...and I will probably never go back to a brush. This is an amazing and long lasting product. If you can purchase on Amazon it is also really cheap. I was able to purchase two of the black pro BBs for $23.50 with free shipping.

To clean I use either Tone Body Wash, Trader Joes body wash, or my Nubian Heritage black soap bar. All of these clean it very thoroughly. I then leave it to dry in its container lid.

Go get one ASAP!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I can't do my makeup without this little gem. I've tried applying liquid foundation with some of the top rated brushes on MUA (Real Techniques Face Brush and Sephora Pro Flawless Airbrush #56) but my foundation always looks cakey and streaky. Applying it with my fingers gives me the same result. Not so with the BeautyBlender. This sponge leaves my makeup looking natural, even and flawless. The coverage is quite sheer to start with but can be built up easily. The only little thing that bothers me about this sponge is how difficult it is to clean it, even with the special cleanser. But other than that it's an absolutely wonderful product I will never be without.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

the sponge is great at applying a flawless foundation look, but it made me break out something fierce ALL over my face when I'm only acne prone around my nose and chin. It's a breeding ground for bacteria if you don't clean it and immediately dry it EVERYDAY after EVERY application. I stopped using it and immediately my face cleared up. I've read that mold and bacteria grows on it while it's wet and here I am, pushing it into my face. Big mistake! I'm disappointed I wasted my money, but because it DOES apply a flawless makeup application, I will save it for Halloween when it's a one time use.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

After spending well over two years thinking about spending $20 on a little pink sponge, I'm sorry I spent so long pondering it. I will probably never use a brush to apply foundation again. This little sponge is amazing. It applies my foundation much more evenly and smoothly. brushes tend to leave streaks on the face, the beauty blender doesn't because you stipple it on to blend. I have nothing bad to say about this other than the price. It was a win win for me.

on 9/9/2012 2:54:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I love my beautyblender and will never use a foundation brush for applying foundation again. It covers evenly and builds coverage well. It's easy to use and clean. It lasts a few months when cleaned and maintained well. I don't love how it applies cream blush, but I think it's simply because of the consistency of the blush I tried. Overall great product and will repurchase again and again.

on 4/27/2010 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

This sponge is HG status! It really does make application look flawless. I use this for liquid foundation, liquid concealer and also my MAC mineral powder for that airbrushed look. Sometimes I feel like I am cheating on my 187 and 188 brushes. I like the fact that its very sanitary since you wash it after every use.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools