beautyblender the sponge

4.3

on 11/18/2018 9:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I resisted buying this for years because I just couldn't justify paying $20 for a beauty sponge...and then I bought one with a gift card and I was hooked. I had used a drugstore brand before (the orange one) and I like it well enough but they broke really easily. It is worth the hype. It is soft yet solid and so bouncy. My makeup applies flawlessly with my Beauty Blender. I will never go back.

on 6/12/2017 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I refused to try the Beautyblender for a really long tine since I have already spent a small fortune on a variety of foundation brushes and if a small spongy blob would end up performing better that would end up with serious buyer's remorse :D

The nude pink one they released finally got the best of my willpower and I'm kind of sad to admit but it's a handy tool.

First of all, the thing that irks me most about the Beautyblender - apart grom a price! - is that I really don't feel comfortable imagining the possible bacteria breeding since I'm accustomed to applying foundation with perfectly clean brushes daily. Nope, can't bring myself to do it. Then what I use the sponge for? It's simple. After applying the foundation/concealer/blush during the days my skin doesn't seem to behave I wet/squeeze it, dab gently to meld all the aforementioned layers together and this step makes my makeup look much more natural. No excuse for cackey base anymore! It does sheer the makeup out a bit and sometimes I have some more spot concealing to do but this removal results to the natural look.

A keeper, sigh!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I've had my eye on the beauty blender for a while now as I didn't want to pay $30AUD for a makeup sponge and I already had the old school triangle sponges, the real technique and every other $2 beauty blender dupes under the sun. After reading all the good reviews I finally caved in and just bought it and wow it really is worth the hype that's for sure! I can't believe I have been missing out this whole time!!! It isn't like any of my other sponges I've used over the years it is so soft and squishy especially after running it under water and squeezing the excess out. And the flawless finish it gives you every time... please don't let the price scare you like someone else mentioned in the reviews because it is well worth it and a great tool to add to your makeup bag.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

There will always be controversy over this because of the price; a lot of people cannot rationalize spending $20+ on a sponge, and I definitely sympathize with that line of thinking, but this is one of those times I had to just swallow hard and bite the bullet.

After all, we have no problem spending that kind of money on a makeup brush, or a lipstick, and those might not even get as much daily use as this does. I am not sure how well these hold up on a long-term basis; I have had mine for about a month and it is still in perfect condition. Before this I was using the NYX blender which is cheaper and I can recommend to you, but this blender is a bit softer and bouncier.

If you're looking for the ultimate makeup tool that will simplify your routine and take foundation/concealer/contour application to the next level, this is the final frontier. I can't even tell you how much better and smoother everything looks since I threw this in the mix. I even use this to pick up powder and "bake" my undereye, forehead and Cupid's bow areas. It goes without saying, if you want the most bang for your buck, this must be used dampened.

So, that's that. I spent $20 on a freaking sponge and it was maybe the best beauty decision I've made in a decade. It's one of those things you really have to just experience for yourself, but it gets my vote.

on 3/29/2016 10:08:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Okay so , this is a GREAT blending tool ESPECIALLY FOR BEGINNERS or people that love a natural or light coverage look ..However this beauty blender is way too overrated in my opinion ..
there are TWO types of good Beauty Sponges ,

1. sponges that absorb makeup while blending foundation into your face giving it a natural look .

and ..

2. Sponges that don't absorb makeup/Foundation while pushing the makeup into the skin providing full coverage without absorbing too much .

I'm sure you guys can take a wild guess on which category the beauty blender falls under .. basically perfect for thinning out foundations or making them a lighter coverage for summer time or whenever you don't want too much stuff on your face . however it does also suck up 50% of your makeup unfortunately .

Pros about this product ..
- Gives a great natural look
- Can make any foundation Light coverage / thin it out .
- Easy to use
- great for the summer time

Cons about this product ...
- it doesn't work good with certain foundations/Concealers ( usually the fast drying matte based foundations/Concealer )
- Absorbs Half of your makeup
- since it absorbs half of your makeup , that means it gets dirty really easy ( constantly have to wash )

personally my favourite beauty sponge is by MAC . ( I collect beauty sponges as a hobby ) the reason why that is my favourite sponge is because it doesn't suck up much of my foundation/concealer , I can use it dry or wet , still gives me a natural look while providing full coverage .

don't get me wrong I love the beauty blender on my NATURAL/Light coverage days . it blends beautifully, it just doesn't provide full coverage , unless you keep building ... But I wouldn't use it while using my expensive foundations/Concealers I don't need it sucking up my money .. lol .
however i do recommend the beauty blender to EVERYONE ..
it's a great tool to have and also gives you the option to thin out almost any foundation or wear it as a lighter coverage . it's a must have beauty tool!!

on 3/4/2016 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love and hate this product. I love that it gives a flawless look when i apply my concealer. Love how it's applys foundation. Tho I have a cheaper version for 1.99, i found at my local beauty store and i tend to reach out more.

on 1/18/2016 9:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Ok - if you are young with smooth naturally glowy skin - feel free to skip this review. Note - you can likely skip most reviews as really - you wake up amazing and if I were less of a person - would hate you for it. (Actually kind of do - but only a little)

Now - if you are facing maturing skin, uneven texture, pore issues, etc - this over priced little pink sponge works. Really well. And I kind of hate it a little for doing so.

First - dupes. Don't bother. Closest is RT and its ok. This has a bounce that makes foundation application quick and smooth. It also is the right balance of firm and smooth for under eye concealer.
Second - application. I cannot believe I went so many years not trying this. Concealer applies like a dream - especially if you have some fine lines. Foundation is sheer enough to be natural, but converage and finish are great. This has made some meh foundations really work for me.
Third - price. Dude, it sucks that it's $20, but it works. And if $20 makes a $40 foundation more usable - it's a good investment. If $20 keeps my concealer from creasing - allowing me to pass for younger than my 40 years - it's worth it.
Fourth - cleaning. I have a handful of these and a couple of RT ones. All go in a lingerie bag and get washed with my clothes. It works well enough and feeds into my lazy streak.

So ... Net, I love this even though the little guy makes it hard to love given the price and cleaning. Well worth giving it a try - unless you are part of the unicorn club mentioned above.

on 1/18/2016 8:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Honestly, I REALLY wish MUA had "Maybe" as a choice if purchasing again. I really AM on the fence with Beauty Blender.

First the good. This sponge does a remarkable job in blending foundation. Better than brushes and in most cases better than fingers. On my "mature" skin, it's all about the blend.

Next, the not-so-good: For the price point, I think this is way overpriced. I will spend quite a bit of money on great products, but for the wear and tear this little sponge goes through, it IS rather pricey.
When I first purchased, I had to wash it seeming forever because pink dye kept running. I don't want that on my face.
It gets dirty quickly. I have to wash it every day--perhaps it is the OCD in me, but the soap that came with this sponge is wearing down quickly and I'm going to try to find a DIY cleaning solution for this.
The life of the sponge isn't really that long. I purchased in the fall. It has tears already. I think it may be from my fingernails digging into it when I'm washing it.
The soap that coordinates with Beauty Blender also has a slight lavender scent. If you are allergic to lavender beware. I'm allergic and have to wash it a second time with regular soap to get the lavender scent out of it. Just a heads up!

I really am on the fence with this. While it blends beautifully, I'm sure there is a dupe out there for less money that may be stronger and work just as well. Depending on how long this sponge lasts before falling apart totally, I'm really unsure if I will re-purchase. I ended up saying "no"--but I'm truly unsure.

on 12/1/2015 2:48:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I had used the Real Techniques dupe of this product for a while before I decided to purchase this to see if there really is a difference. Honestly, I don't see why I should pay $20 when the RT sponge is just as good for $6. The only big difference I noticed is that the beauty blender is a bit easier to clean in that my foundation gets cleaned out more quickly than from my RT sponge. But we're talking like a 2 minute difference here. So personally, while this works great, once it has run its course, I'll be going back to the RT makeup sponge.

on 11/19/2015 2:54:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Alright, let's talk about the beauty blender. This will be a very long review so that I can cover all the bases.

I would rate it about a 3. I sort of like it, I don't love it. I think there is a lot of hype about this product that needs to be addressed though.

First off, this is a very hit and miss product for foundation. I have quite an expansive makeup collection which means I have dozens of foundations that I have tested this with. I have come to this conclusion: the beauty blender is suitable for matte, full coverage foundations. It works with SOME medium coverage satin finish foundations but more than likely it does not. I love this with my Kat Von D Lock-It foundation, and my Makeup Forever Matte Velvet foundation. The Beauty Blender, however, *completely* sucks up my MUFE HD foundation which is a satin finish. I need 4 pumps, even 5, of the product to get a decent amount of product on my face, and even then it doesn't compare to the coverage I get out of 2 pumps with a brush. This does work decently with my L'oreal True Match (satin) however. Again I have to use quite a bit more but it's not to the degree of the MUFE HD. Do not even attempt to use this with a light coverage dewy finish foundation. You will need 4x the product in that case. It is a complete waste.

My best recommendation is if you're rich and don't care about using 6 pumps of a foundation, the finish will be beautiful no matter what foundation you're using honestly. If not, stick with thicker foundations with the Beauty Blender. The Tarte foundation is a gel consistency, as well as the Mac Studio sculpt (also a gel) so those work better with the BB.

This works quite beautifully with undereye concealer, any of them frankly because of course they tend to be thicker. It blends concealer out without pulling your undereye area, takes away enough product so that you don't have too much excess under your eye. Despite this, I don't really find myself going to my washroom to wet my BB, get a towel, dry it, do my makeup, and then wash it afterwords and put it in a ventilated area to assure it doesn't get moldly. It's just a long process, you know? I don't find myself reaching for it often. I'd like to, but I always think 'nah I'm not up for it right now'.

Also, I do think my BB might have developed mold despite me putting it in a well ventilated area, washing it pretty frequently and only owning it for about 1.5/2 months. I'm not sure 100% sure if it was mold, or just a pesky stain. I tried scrubbing at that area and all the other spots came out, while that darkish area did not. To be safe I ripped out that area of my beauty blender and watched over it to see if anything else would develop. So far, it's fine. But I'm just not sure if it's worth all of this.

Last but not least, the price is goddamn ridiculous. It's a sponge, if the price was *maybe* $15 CAD I wouldn't be so hesitant to use it and repurchase it. Alas, this sponge is a whopping $28 CAD. I do think the producers of this sponge went down the wrong road. Of course it's a money maker and popular but I know many people who have never repurchased it because of the insane price every 3 months for such a simplistic object. If they had kept the price honest and advertised this as an intelligent alternative to a makeup brush more people would come back to it. Why would I buy this when my makeup brushes can last a lifetime? All I see is a hassle that is more expensive, sucks up product, an annoying process to use, a health concern, and overpriced sponge.

Overhyped, and I have been let down in a majority of ways. It's not the worst thing out there, but it's not worth what it does. I'm going to try the Real Techniques Sponge just for curiosities sake but if that doesn't work out I'm pretty much done with sponges in my makeup routine.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools