beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.4

on 2/7/2018 9:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have used the Beautyblender for a couple of years now. Not long after I purchased it, the tip came off and then since then a few more parts have broken away. I am very careful with things and I am not heavy-handed, so I was quite surprised this happened. I have still been using it as I honestly don't really think it's good enough to warrant re-purchasing a new one. I will happily repurchase expensive items if I think the price is justified and the product makes a difference however I don't really find that the Beautyblender makes much of a difference to how my makeup looks/applies.
I purchased the original pink version and I mainly use it for concealer application. I use it damp (as I'm sure the majority of people do) however, I find that if it is too damp, it makes concealer look very patchy and uneven.
I do wish that I liked this product more and that it made more of a difference to how my makeup looks. It's not a bad item, it's just quite over-hyped in my opinion.

on 2/24/2017 3:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had used the cheaper sponge before this, thinking all sponges do the same job. But I was wrong, I brought the original to give it a go and I never had a sponge that do a great job. I always wash my sponge after I used. well at least alternately. As I washed, the sponge looks like new. No product lingering unlike the cheap dupes. I was really amazed. I would buy again, but I don't think we need to giving the excellent job in cleaning. when cleaning it, the dye bleeds out, I'm quite worry if in a long run, the color changes. so far I've got this for 3-4mths. Seems good.

on 7/2/2016 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

So I finally caved in and bought this after having gone through several RT sponges.
And I don't love it.
It is a lot firmer than the RT sponge imo and also smaller. I felt it works nicely for my cream concealer and the point side gets into my eye area better than the RT sponge, but i usually use a brush which I LOVE (thank you zoeva concealer buffer!!!!) for that.
I use a spong mainly for mu application and this was just so...meh. It was okayish but not for the price tag and the hype. It gave me quite a thick finish which I do not like. The RT sponge gives me a so much lighter and even finish looking so much more natural.

I'm almost thinking about returning this. Why bother with it when there's a SO MUCH CHEAPER and better sponge out there?

I really wanted to love this but maybe my expectations were too high because I had already found the right product for me.

I might get the tiny BB though and see if that'll be nice for undereye and around the nose concealer.

on 4/12/2016 11:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This was hard for me to purchase as I couldn't justify spending $20 on a sponge, so I originally bought a dupe, which I quite liked. However, the original beauty blender is amazing. It really does make foundation look more natural, it doesn't leave any lines like a brush sometimes does. It is awesome for blending out concealer! It does apply liquid foundation quite sheerly but you can definitely build with it. The one thing that does irk me...is I do reckon you use more product with it. But, I would happily sacrifice a little bit more product to for a flawless base ;) also makes applying foundation super quick, just dab dab dab done. And it is good for applying powder if you want a bit more coverage. Yep, would buy again.

EDIT: it grew MOLD!! Even after keeping it clean, I think maybe I didn't air it very well at times, a bit of a shame.

on 3/4/2016 3:04:00 PM

I was not believing in sponges at all and was forever faithful to foundation application with brush. Until by curiosity I bought BB. It blends my concealer like a dream! And not only concealer, all my complexion looks like a dream come true every day when I blend my makeup with BB! Yes it takes more product if you want to apply the foundation with it, however the trick is to apply the foundation and concealer with brush or fingers and only then using BB to blend everything together. The finish is very natural with any coverage foundation.
A bonus: the wet sponge feels very refreshing, the skin feels awaken and I feel it de-puffing much faster.

on 2/20/2016 7:16:00 PM

I did NOT want to give in to the hype and now I'm giving this a grudging 5/5. A sponge? Why would I want to use a sponge when handmade Japanese brushes exist? Well, I wish I'd found this years ago. This is so gentle and blends my makeup so quickly in the mornings on my sensitive, sometimes flaky skin that I have more time for other luxuries, like curling my eyelashes or grabbing a coffee before work. It makes even thick, high coverage, totally un-natural looking foundations like ELDW Light look like a second skin. Even a 5 year old could blend foundation perfectly with this. Winner.

My HG way to put on foundation and I'll never switch! I've tried many brushes but none make my face look flawless like this does

on 12/10/2015 9:59:00 AM

I bought the beauty blender because of all the fuss and reviews that it is amazing and irreplaceable. It is amazing, but NOT irreplaceable! I first purchased the Miracle sponge by real techniques (about a month and a half ago) and i was my first interraction with makeup sponges. I was amazed from the 1st application, i will never ever use my fingers again!

While searching for youtube videos about how to make the best of this sponge, i got to realize that the beautyblender was so much more expesive! i had no idea and i bought the micracle sponge because that was the most reasonable looking sponge in Boots (they didn't have beautybelnder at all anyway). So now i bought the beautyblender out of curiosity and to understand why most people say that miracle sponge is good, but not as good as the beautyblender.

Not that i have tested both, i can't possible understand why people would pay 3 times more for the beautyblender. Unless you have supervision, there is no difference in the finish between the 2 sponges! They maybe have different composition, but the result is the same!!!! So, the reason i am giving this a 3 is because the price doesn't justify the results when there is a competitor product doing the same, 3 times cheaper.

- there is no difference in "bounceability" between the 2! And if there is, i don't see a difference in the end result!
- BB is NOT softer than the miracle sponge. This was a shock as eveybody says that BB is softer. It's not, on the contrary, once wet, the micracle sponge is slightly softer and less dense than the BB which i like more
- miracle sponge washes better, it's easier to get the foundation off. I washed my BB this morning and it is still stained, probably the composition of the sponge retains product, which i don't like. i feel it's dirty even though i washed it. Also, and this was a big dissapointment, once i washed the BB, when i squeezed it, the water was PINK because of the colorant used. I hope the colorant is natural (is it?), but that was so disappointing!

All in all, BB is a great product, foundation will not look the same with any other product, EXCEPT the miracle sponge which gives the exact same finish.

And, if you're thinking it, i don't mind the £12 i spent on BB, i don't find it that expensive, but if i can get the same result with less money, why not? i am not trying to "shame" BB, but seriously, if you are thinking about buying one buy a miracle sponge first and if you are not happy with it, then buy a BB - but i guarantee you won't see a difference :)

on 1/14/2015 12:42:00 PM

I really love this sponge! My makeup looks really dewy when I use the beautyblender. The bb makes use even out of some foundations that I have once deemed too thick or cakey looking. Applying foundation to nose area is also very easy due to its shape. I wash my bb with the cleanser after each use, but the sponge hasn't lost its shape (I have used it 5 times a week for almost two months).

It is true what a previous reviewer wrote, the bb doesn't do anything what a good foundation brush wouldn't do. However, with beautyblender I receive the same finish way more faster than with a regular brush, which is really handy on early mornings. Therefore, I believe that this is especially a great product for people who aren't so used to applying their makeup with brushes.

The only downside for me is the price, since it is pretty pricey and you have to replace it (approximately) every three months.

on 8/30/2014 2:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

UPDATE: OK, I bought the super duper tiny green ones because they were adorable, but I haven't found them terribly useful just yet. I pretty much only use them for the undereye and for blending a browbone highlight in but it's really nothing that Big Pink can't do. They're fun, though, can't argue with that - just not the time-savers that the big one is. If I find an innovative new use for them you guys will be the first to know...

Ah, the beautyblender. It's become one of those things I can't live without, but it definitely has some issues I wish they'd fix.

First of all, a confession: I almost never use this wet, and when I do, I just spritz it with rosewater. I don't run it under the tap and let it puff up like you're supposed to. I find that a)I am lazy and this takes less time, and b)the sponge soaks up more product this way, giving me nice sheer coverage instead of full-on makeup, and c)I can use it to blend out powder products when it's dry without risk of color changes or cakiness. I'll spritz it to build up my liquid foundation, blend my concealer, and remove product if I've overpowdered.

This leads in to my number-one gripe about the beautyblender: it is such a pain in the ass to clean! I've tried the two soaps by the same company but I've found that the two things that work best for me are Dr. Bronner's soap and MAC Cleanse Off Oil. When you use the sponge dry, however, it stains really really badly and always looks a little dingy. The time I save putting on my makeup in the morning is used to clean and re-clean the sponge when I get home. If you've got any tips, PM me and I'll be eternally grateful.

My second gripe: The dye. Thinking about buying the "pure" version but I'm worried that it would look even more horribly dingy than the pink one. I bought the black "pro" ones but found that, while they didn't bleed, they also had a different texture that I didn't like as much. No matter how much you wash it or what you wash it with, this sponge will always, always bleed pink dye. I've had my original for a long time now -- probably time to chunk it, honestly -- and it's been washed thousands of times with every soap under the sun, and it still bleeds dye when I use Dr. Bronner's. I even soaked it in vinegar on a whim to remedy the dye problem since that's what you do with bleeding brushes (note: this was gross, don't do it. It didn't hurt the sponge but I think it made it angry). I think that, after I've stopped using this one on my face and right before I throw it out, I'm going to experiment with some Borax to see if that'll remedy my sponge problems, haha.

So I'm going to keep buying them because I love how easy and sheer they make foundation application, but I'm also going to keep complaining about them and their ridiculous pricetag until they either fix the staining/bleeding issues or I find a comparable dupe. ;) Plus, it's adorable and soft and I just can't stay mad at something that lets me sleep a couple extra minutes in the morning.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools