beautyblender the sponge

Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.3

on 3/6/2007 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This works so much better for me than a sponge or foundation brush. Well worth the 20 bucks. I'll pass on the pricey cleanser, though. I use a few drops of Dr. Bronner's liquid soap, and it cleans just as well as the Beautyblender stuff for a whole lot less.

Note: I've discovered Daiso Detergent cleanser. A small bottle runs about $11 on Amazon. A very small amount cleans the Beautyblender nothing like else, and it easily gets rid of the gummy eyeliner residue from my smudge brushes. Great stuff.

on 5/1/2007 4:00:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Well, I must confess that I bought the beautyblender on the advice of another makeup website which shall remain nameless. I had been previously using my MAC 187 which I like for coverage but not how it evenly distributes foundation on my eyebrows and in my hairline! The idea of stippling the sponge on my skin reminded me of the 187 so I had an idea it would be great. Great..... it is amazing. I've used it now for about 2 months with all different types of foundation - heavy (EL DW), light (Stila ITM) and medium, (La Mer fluid). They all look so natural and beautiful on with this sponge. In fact, it's using the Beautyblender that has enabled me to wear lighter foundations. Because you can stipple over the area a few times and then dab on with the pointy end on your red spots, coverage with even a TM is flawless. I wash it about every 5 days or so but even letting it go longer, it still works great. Oh and I use it dry for more coverage. I still use my 187 but only for powders!

on 10/30/2007 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

WOW! WOW, WOW!!!!!!..... finally I can achieve that flawless, airbrushed look..... even at age 59!!!!! I first heard about these sponges on the makeup board...thank you to cavewoman for the great recommendation! I have been using these for over a month now and I cannot believe what a difference a sponge can make! Even in a magnifying mirror and in bright sunlight, this blends makeup so well, evenly and smoothly.... it virtually disappears, but it's there....covering perfectly! These are the BEST sponges ever - better than any brush, fingers or any other makeup sponges I have tried. This is an incredible, fabulous litttle product (and it comes with a special cleaner that's fast and easy, too). I do not want to ever live without it....I bought two...one for home, one for travel and will no doubt stock up on a few more spares!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I bought this at my local Pure Beauty store. At first, I was only looking to find a great brush cleanser and the SA recommended that I get the blendercleanser. The cleanser on it's on was way pricey but worked wonders. A couple weeks after I stopped in again and I decided to take the plunge and pay the buckos to try this wonder sponge. All I can say is that this thing is AMAZING! At first I thought it was kinda weird but once you get the hang out the stippling technique or you develop your own...this is truly a beauty essential. I blends my foundation and concealer so well that it's the one tool I can't travel without. As for cleaning it, I don't mind cleaning it after every use. The blendercleanser cleans off all the makeup and just a few rinses in cold water and the beautyblender is ready to use again or air dry. The price is high but it's worth the results!

on 11/29/2007 8:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I've been using the beautyblender sponge every day for a couple of weeks now, and thus far, I've decided that it works best with denser, heavily pigmented foundations like Kevyn Aucoin's SSE. I've used it with various foundations. VL Liquid Canvas Dew, GA LSF, Shiseido The Makeup Cream, LM Silk Creme, and others I'm blanking on at the moment. IMHO, it works best (dampened like the instructions suggest) with KA SSE and not as wonderfully with some of the less dense ones. I think with other lighter, liquid foundations, it absorbs more product than I'd like. I'm glad I got it because it helps the KA SSE go on beautifully. I tried the KA SSE without the beautyblender a couple of times and couldn't get the same natural-looking results. I think it would work well to blend concealer, too, but I haven't tried that yet. I've never had any luck at all with makeup sponges (I use brushes or fingers), but the beautyblender has made a difference with my applicaiton of KA's SSE. If you use denser, cream foundations, I'd highly suggest getting it. If you only use lighter, liquid foundations, I don't think (at this point in my experimentation) it would be worth it.

on 12/7/2007 11:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

HG!!! I have finally found the right tool to apply my foundation so it looks natural and flawless!!! I never would have thought that this little hot pink egg would be so different from a regular latex sponge, but it is. Latex wedges just seemed to streak my foundation around unevenly and made my pores really noticeable. Brushes had the exact same effect, while also making my wallet considerably lighter. The Beautyblender applies foundation like it's airbrushing it on. No pores, no streaks, no line of demarcation on my jawline. MUA is always opening me up to new products that I never would've known about on my own, and making me wish I had been using these products FOREVER! Seriously, I have been through foundation brushes by BE, MAC, Laura Mercier, Sephora, and NARS- and every single one of them pales in comparison to the Beautyblender. It's also really easy to use- just wet the sponge well under running water, squeeze it out, and roll it in a towel a bit to make sure it's damp, not wet. Then dip the pointy side into your foundation (a dot the size of a dime did half of my face), and kind of bounce it on your face, blending as you go. You can run the larger, rounded side of the sponge over your face (especially the jawline) when you're done, just to be sure it's all blended. It's really easy and fast (it took me less than 2 minutes to do my foundation this morning). The first time I used this little guy, I knew I was in love! I wish they were less expensive, but what can you do? It's totally worth the $$!!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is a wonderful little pink egg sponge full of joy!!! I adore this, it blends my MU beautifully for a flawless finish, I am finding I am using even less powder with this. Just do exactly what it tells you to do, wet it, squeeze it out in a paper towel and go to work. You will get a beautifully flawless finish. I us CG Advance Radiance and they give you a little cheap square sponge which I learned to use. NEVER again!!! This beauty will be in my MU aresenal from now on! Just remember to clean it, you can use your own gentle cleanser but as a friend of mine put it, I got the "egg cleaner".

on 4/8/2008 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've had my "egg" for a year now. Using it daily and cleansing after each use it's still in good condition. Nice size and shape for setting MMU!

EDIT: Sonya Kashuk's Blue Peep has replaced the BB as my new favorite. Less expensive and just as good, although quite a bit more "firm" in texture.

I first bought this product after being disappointed with the application of what I now know was a replica Chanel Foundation brush (perhaps explaining the bad application). Before that I was using an Estee Lauder Foundation brush which I absolutely loved until one day I cleaned it a little to ambitiously and all the hairs came out! Anyway, I was a little frustrated with foundation brushes so I came across this and was sold by the reviews. I plunked down the money for it about six months ago and always used it dry as my vanity is in my closet and I'm too lazy to get it wet in my bathroom first. It was an okay product, but I felt it was too expensive for what you get. I found it didn't always apply evenly and seemed to soak up all my foundation. I also found it hard to apply concealer to my under eye area and I struggle with dark under eye circles so this was very important to me. Perhaps my biggest issue with it is it always looks dirty (unless you wash it after every application and I only washed it once a month because like I said, I'm too lazy to take it to the bathroom plus I'm always in a hurry when I'm applying makeup). Also, I found when I threw it in my makeup bag it would transfer residual foundation and concealer to my other makeup compacts which I hated. Last night I entered my closet to find little bits of pink all over my vanity. As I approached I realized a mouse (I live in the middle of a field in the country) had crawled into my bag and chewed on my sponge several times before pulling it out and chewing on it some more. Now there's $20 down the drain. I'm searching for a new foundation applicator and think I'm going to pass on this and try the Stila foundation brush. It's the same price as this thing, got better reviews, won't get eaten by a mouse, and should apply my foundation dry a lot better than the results I had with this.

on 5/30/2008 9:18:00 PM

I really wanted to like this and hoped I would change my mind about it. That's why I've waited 5 months to write a review. It does a very good job of applying a light, seamless layer of foundation, but the inconvenience of the sponge outweighs its good points, IMO.

First, my bathroom is tiny and has very poor lighting, so I do my m/u at a lighted mirror in my bedroom where there is no sink. The need to rinse the sponge before and after using it is just too impractical for me. I know that most people don't have this situation, but it's something to consider before buying.

Another problem is that the blender must be cleaned thoroughly after each use. I'm always in a hurry when I do my m/u in the morning and I think washing the blender takes longer than actually using it to apply my foundation.

For the price, I expect something more user friendly. I take out the Beauty Blender only for special occasions and probably will not repurchase when mine wears out.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools