beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.4

on 3/24/2007 2:13:00 PM

This little beauty tool should be in everyone's makeup box! This is not like a flocked sponge or any other makeup sponge I've ever owned. For the record, I don't like makeup sponges, flocked, non-latex or otherwise. I usually much prefer a taklon foundation brush. However, the beauty blender truly applies cream and liquid foundations beautifully and flawlessly, and dare I say, much better than a foundation brush! I bought two for around $25 at Dermadoctor so price-wise it wasn't too bad. It did come all smushed in the package but I washed it and it was restored to it's perfect round shape. I bounced it around my face to stipple on my cream or liquid foundation. If you use twisting type motions, you can feather out the foundation. It gives you great control! Get one, you'll love it! Definitely will repurchase!

on 4/17/2007 3:51:00 PM

I really like this sponge. I have always use a sponge to apply foundation, but the shape and texture of the beautyblender are far superior to any other sponge I have used. The pointed end is great for blending around the eyes. The texture is perfect because it doesn't soak up all the foundation like some sponges can. It also feels very soft on your skin. I bought the package with the cleanser, but I don't think it is better than any other cleanser so I would pass on it.

on 5/6/2007 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This little baby goes to the top of my "Cosmetic Product Every MUAer Worth the Title Should Own". I was kicking myself for allowing myself to lemming this. Now I am so delighted to own it. I use it both dry and dampened, though prefer to use it dampened. I've used it on MMU (dry and dampened), liquid, pressed powder, and creme/gel (EL Re-Nutriv) and it works beautifully on all of them. When used dampened, the foundation goes on sheerly, but is easily layered as you go. A cinch to clean, I just use a bar of generic castile soap I keep in the bathroom, wet the sponge, run it over the bar of soap a couple of times, squish it, and rinse thoroughly.

on 11/18/2007 12:12:00 AM

I love this little sponge! It is a great makeup applicator and/or blender.

I use this sponge mainly for foundations. I have done a half and half test of my foundations (a liquid and a cream) compared to my usual application methods with brush or flat sponge. In all instances, the beautyblender gave a more even, more natural looking finish. It really reduced the "overdone" or fake skin look you can get if you use too much foundation.

It also allows better precision control over areas that need special coverage such as under eyes, corners of the nose, blemishes, etc. With this my concealer is needed less and what i do use, looks better.

It is quite easy to use, and feels good in the hand. It is also easy to clean, i just use regular shampoo.

I think it is cute and leave it out on my bathroom counter for all my friends too marvel at. My boyfriend is particularly intrigued and perplexed by the necessity of a pink egg sponge. I loved the look on his face when he first saw it.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I am in LOVE LOVE LOVE with this product!!! I've used regular sponges, fingers, and at least half a dozen foundation brushes. This gives the PERFECT finish and is ten times easier and faster than any other method of application. It can give even the sheerest foundations coverage. They also hold up a very long time. I had my first for about 6 months in great shape before i lost it! I'll never be without this product again!!

on 1/9/2008 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I first tried this product 1 1/2 years ago & gave it a negative review after trying it for a week. And I returned the sponge. Now, a year & a half later, I decided to buy it again & take another stab at it. Hopefully I can help someone w/this new, revised review.

When I originally tried the sponge it didn't work even tho I followed the prep. directions perfectly. Soaked it w/water, then squeezed water out & squeezed it again w/a towel. That dried the sponge too much, so it absorbed the foundation instantly & it was virtually unusable. I had to use a ton of foundation & even then I ended up w/super sheer coverage because the gallons of foundation had soaked into the sponge.

NOW, however, I decided to skip the towel - just squeezing the water out with my hand & going right to the foundation. VICTORY!

I think this is a very counter-intuitive thing, which is why I didn't figure it out originally. I figured that moisture in the sponge would dilute the foundation & end up providing too sheer coverage. Wrong! Actually, when there is some moisture in the sponge (don't use a towel!) the sponge cannot absorb as much foundation - because its little sponge cells are full of water! So by leaving my sponge a bit moist, I was able to use it properly because it didn't absorb nearly as much foundation. AND, the added moisture makes it possible to move the foundation around.

I'm delighted that I got back on the horse & tried this again. Wish I hadn't waited a year & a half, but hey . . . took me that long to get interested again & come up with a revised method of use.

Also, after using it for foundation, I gently tapped the pointed end into my Bobbi Brown concealer & patted it under each eye. Heaven. Looks even better than when I use my BB concealer brush, which I love. I'm glad I can take away my neg. review & give this gem the 5 lippies it has earned.

This pink egg sponge is a make-up artist dream. before discovering this i used to "trim" the edge of my wedge sponges to prevent streaking. an added bonus: I can use this and re-use it! you can toss it in the wash or rinse it w/ soap and water. I use Revlon color stay with Softflex, another make-up artist "on the cheap" favorite. I pour some foundation on the top of my hand (which i use like a palette) dip the Beautyblender and dab foundation on my cheeks, bridge of nose, forehead, etc and blend in a rolling motion following the shape of the egg. for a dewy finish i blend with stippling brush.. and set with a little bit of mineral powder. the best flawless finish.

sometimes i use it with just mineral powder alone and it looks fabulous!

well, i hate to be a debbie downer here, but this sponge is really just not that great. to be completely honest, i really can't understand how this is any better than just a regular drugstore sponge. you can wet drugstore sponges so they don't absorb product just like this one, and you can wash and reuse d/s sponges also. granted, they don't last as long as the beautyblender, but it can still be done and they don't cost $20 per sponge! also, it doesn't apply makeup any better than any other sponge. you can stipple with any sponge, puff, or stippling brush and get the same affect. the one saving grace for this, however, is the shape. i love how it is shaped! the round bottom is perfect for applying blush and foundation and the pointed tip blends even the smallest areas, like around the eyes. its not too small and not too large-just the perfect shape and size which make it really easy to use. because of this, i will buy it again. but i think its important to note that this is just a sponge-not the miracle applicator everyone makes it out to be. aside from the shape, its pretty average. i've had mine for about 2-3 months, and i estimate i have about another 1-2 months of use left with it, and thats considering i use it and wash it everyday. so as long as you're not expecting some miracle product thats going to magically make your foundation look like it was airbrushed on (like everyone claims, but it just isn't true), and you realize you are just buying an expensive sponge, i think you'll enjoy the purchase. but its not like this is some must-have, run-out-and-buy-it-right-now product-just an average sponge.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Well I gave this a 5 because its a pretty good sponge, but it doesnt do anything out of the norm of a sponge, its really cool though cus when you wet it it gets super big compared to its original size, it applies studio fix powder pretty good too, even when damp.

Okay, I bought this for me and my sister and we both have been pleased. With the only exception being...me. I am used to using brushes. But I saw the reviews for this and decided to buy us both one to try out. My sister loves this product. I like it, but often go back to what I'm comfortable with...brushes. So, it could just be me with the odd brush infatuation.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools