beautyblender the sponge

beautyblender the sponge
Enter TitleBeauty Blenderthe spongethe spongethe sponge

4.4

on 3/30/2018 11:25:00 PM

I am a professional makeup artist and there is no other sponge like the beauty blender. Real techniques is the closet thing to it. I don't see how any one can dislike this sponge if used correctly its perfect. Run it under water and squeeze it out and it blends all foundation smoothly and concealer giving you an air brush finish.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Cons
- Expensive for what it is
- Uses 2x as much product (foundation) as I would use with a brush
- Does not cover as well as a brush in my opinion.... hence maybe why I use 2x as much product to cover
- Just read another MUA review on here that I think is worth re-stating: "Absorbs skincare. I am pale and skincare obsessed. This does absorb sunscreen." I can see how that would be a thing
- Cleaning: the instructions state that it should be cleaned after every use (aka every day for some of us). Who has time for that? Even when you do clean (even if it is regularly), the stains will not come off. Tbh that is not a major big deal for me, but worth noting
- Storage: where/how do you store this in a hygienic manner?

Pros
- It is kind of fun to use ... something new than how I have been applying makeup on.
- I have only been using this to apply foundation, but I can see how this might be better used for applying liquid/cream blush or bronzer

Overall
- Despite the many concerns and cons that I have with this, I think it's worth trying at least once - I can see how some people may like it if you've hated using brushes. If you're really big on makeup and devoting a lot of time/products/money/tools to it, this may add to your collection and something that you turn to. I am not opposed to having one of these in my possession, but it is not a must have . It is kind of fun to use and, although that's such a silly minor thing, if it makes your makeup routine less a routine and more fun, it's good

The real techniques sponge is just as good but I have a chanel fdtn brush I love so anyways I prefer my fingers. It warms the fdtn and can get every nook & cranny. Just personal pref! These sponges are good. But I could easily live w/o mine.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is my first 'special beauty sponge' and it works nice. Not perfect and kinda inconvenient to use. Also on the pricey side so I'll try a cheaper one next time. I've previously tried those old school sponges and they're also okay. Not a huge difference.

on 7/11/2017 3:38:00 PM

Flat sponges are better and cheaper. The beauty blender absorbs too much product and the results are not worthy of the praise I've been hearing about. You are better off using a flat sponge, shiseido foundation brush or your fingers. This silly cheapo sponge is ridiculous. It is worth $2 at most. It's funny how all the people who gave BB 5 lippies describe their method of application in such a way that it sounds exhausting as well as inconvenient. C'mon. People are trying too hard to make this silly thing work. The company is really having a good laugh.

on 2/10/2017 10:08:00 AM

The hype of this product is what made me drawn to buy the beauty blender. Personally, I don't like it, it is just meh... Normally I use my fingers or a foundation brush to apply my face makeup. I feel that works better for me than a beauty blender. I also have a few friends who have tried the beauty blender, they all thought it was just okay too. Not worth the $30 for a sponge in my opinion. At $30, I was hoping the results would be better.

on 1/1/2017 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

My gawd. This is THEE foundation, concealer and loose powder whisperer. I swear I have never experienced a more beautiful coverage than I do when I use this. I have the pink and the black and once dampened they are so soft! I have used this with $5 foundation and $62 foundation. And all price points in between. It applies foundation like a dream and I also bake my whole face with setting powder using the damp sponge and it makes me appear poreless. I will continue to repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is an amazing sponge which blends everything so flawlessly, especially foundation and concealer! I love how it can be used with any cream products. Even though it Is quite expensive, I think it justifies the price!

on 11/14/2016 12:43:00 AM

So absolutely amazing. I had my doubts and had used knock off sponges before but this is completely different. It doesn't sheer it out my foundation too much and it just blends makeup like a dream.

I finally caved in and decided to try it for myself. Ladies, the hype is real! This will make your average, cheapo, or even the so-so foundations look really good! I've used this with both high-end & inexpensive products and they both looked topnotch. The technique is to let the sponge absorb as much water as possible and then gently squeeze the excess before using it. Bouncing and stippling motion are preferred. Don't swipe unless you want to use it to correct makeup snafus. The accompanying solid cleanser is good and gets all the stains out in a jiffy. Don't panic if you see some of the pink dye getting washed off. Make sure to dry the sponge in a well-ventilated area to prevent mold. This is expensive initially, but with proper care, it will last a long time and this works for a variety of products too, so this is a worthy investment.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools